Upgrade equipment while moving

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by n2radio, May 26, 2020.

1. n2radio

n2radio Cool Member

Oct 1, 2007
    I realize this information is probably available by searching and spending time piecing it together. However, I am seeking guidance based upon what my in-laws currently have and what they would like to have after they move.

I have long used these forums while a DirecTV customer, but have cut the cord myself about 2 years ago when my equipment was no longer supported. I have found the information on this site to be on point and the users of the forum to be very helpful. Because of my lack of experience with Dish, I am reaching out.

My in-laws have been Dish customers for years. They currently have a Hopper 2 system with 2 1.0 Joey's. All systems are internet connected. They utilize the Primetime feature regularly. They also have the Dish Protect Silver service plan on their account.

Dish_Account.PNG Dish_Equipment.PNG
    They are planning to move in June and are asking about some changes. They want to keep their programming. They want to make sure ALL rooms have an HD picture including locals. Currently, the local channels are ALL standard def which I believe is because they need a second dish for HD locals. They live in zip code 42210 and will be moving to 42171. Same TV market.

They like the idea of having an OTA antenna included with their system if they can integrate it. They have lots of drop out during heavy rain and we have subchannels OTA which they would like to be able to access.

They want to keep their current cost or possibly get a discount. Should they keep their equipment or request an upgrade at no cost? (Surprisingly, they are not worried about losing any current DVR content during an upgrade.) Should they threaten to leave to get a better discount?
    Will Dish provide an OTA antenna and the necessary dongle to integrate the locals into the Dish guide? If not, what can they expect to be charged for installation to have this access?

Any information you can provide so I am prepared when we call to discuss the move with Dish is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    How about provide the NAME of the DMA where the locals come from ? With this, we can tell what DIsh setup they need. It sounds like they may still be using a Dish 500 (119 /110) - which provides very little in HD programming. They really will be needing either a 1000.2 Western arc (110/119 and 129) or a 1000.2 EASTERN ARC (61.5 and 72.7) OR 1000.4 eastern arc (61.5, 72.7 and 77). Mostly whats on 77 is a few locals in HD and SD versions of what they get on 72.7.

Need a Hopper OTA module, single or dual tuner, and a decent OTA antenna for their location. After it's setup, then they will need to scan for OTA channels in the diagnostics.

I wouldn't waste my time threatening to leave. They CAN get a Dish mover service call where the tech will set them up at their new residence with the proper dish/LNB setup and wire the house per requirements to make Dish work. The DOngles are extra cost, as is the OTA antenna. I'm sure the tech will be able to explain it to them.

Dish is pretty easy to work with, my experiance is that the techs are knowledgeable and friendly and will explain what they need to do and why. No need to be a horse's patoot about it.

3. n2radio

n2radio Cool Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback.

The market is Bowling Green, KY. I believe they currently get most of their signals in HD aside from the local channels.

Can you ballpark the cost for the dongle, an OTA antenna and installation? Is this something we should discuss at the time of the Dish mover service call?

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Bowling Green Ky HD Locals are on 61.5 - so to get them in HD, they need an Eastern Arc dish setup.

DOngle they can probably order from Dish now, otherwise there are other venders out there that can sell it to them..About $40

OTA antenna - First they need to use some site that can show them what direction and how far the transmitters are from their new house. Again, there are sites on the internet for getting antennas (Solidsignal.com is a good one, channelmaster.com (maker of antennas) also). Antennas vary widely in cost, depending on what they need.

Installation is the sticky wicket - finding someone who will do it. No clue.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    If his locals are all SD, that means his dish is pointed to the Western Arc (WA) set of satellites. All Bowling Green Ky HD locals are on the 61.5 satellite. He must determine if his new home has open sky visibility of the 61.5 and the 72.7 satellites to get the full Eastern Arc (EA) set of satellites. With the move the tech should install the EA dish, not the WA.

Their current equipment is satisfactory for receiving what they want except for OTA reception requires an OTA dongle that plugs into a USB port on the H2. They could opt to upgrade to the H3 to take advantage of it's 16 tuners plus the two more that the OTA dongle provides. From Dish you get a black OTA dongle for $59 I believe or from AirTV (not the Dish installer) you can get their white dongle that has the exact same innerds for $29 - YOU PICK. Products | AirTV

6. n2radio

n2radio Cool Member

Oct 1, 2007
    I would bet this is the case. They had Dish installed prior to locals being available (SD and HD).

This is good information to know. Thanks!