1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Installation Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by johde, Dec 5, 2010.

1. johde

johde Cool Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Last week, My Series 1 Directv with Tivo Died. After trying to fix it, I called Directv to see about an upgrade. They offered me a HD DVR, New Dish Installation, and made a note on my account about getting 24 months free HD because I auto pay all for $99.00 + Tax. I currently don't have an HDTV but the SD DVR was the same price.

Right now, we have 2 Directv with Tivo Receivers and we're only replacing 1 of them right now. The Installer is coming tomorrow, and I was wondering what the best install scenario would be both for now, and into the future? Running the new receiver off of a new SWiM Dish, and keeping the existing Dish for the Tivo, Doing the SWiM8 Thing? Something else?

Also, should Internet connection come standard with the Install?

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    In order to keep the one TiVo you'll need the SW8 as it has legacy ports.
    Of course you could keep the the one dish and have the Slimline too!

You won't get the Whole House install unless you get at least one HD DVR and one HD receiver.
    However, there's o reason why you can't connect the HR to your network using ethernet.
    This would get you On Demand.

3. johde

johde Cool Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Thanks for the Information. Yea, I can run my own Ethernet. It just would be more convenient to use the existing Coax. Is SW8 considered part of a standard Install or would it be extra? I'm also assuming, I should try to get an HR24, the CSR said she couldn't guarantee it.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    They will be installing a standard Slimline with either a 3 or 5 LNB depending on market needs. Since you will be only using 4 tuners, no switch at all will be needed. They will not be giving you a SWiM of any flavor.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Ask the installer if he has the HR24 when he arrives.
    Good luck.

6. johde

johde Cool Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Right now, we have the 2 outputs from the current lnb being run 30feet or so to a 2X4 switch, then Dual cable going to each of the tivo's. You're figuring they'll just swap out the old dish for a New Dish, hook up 2 of the outputs, and keep everything else pretty much the same.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Yes. There will be 4 lines from the dish. Your 2x4 switch will be replaced with a 4 port ground block. Everything else will remain the same. Having a legacy receiver, in this case a tivo, will kill any chances of a SWiM.

8. johde

johde Cool Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Got everything installed this morning. He already had an HR24-500 in the van for me. He had to install the dish in a slightly different location. The current location would receive 101 but there was a tree blocking 99. They sent a standard 3 LNB like people said. I played with it a little bit but haven't had a chance to look at it in detail. I'm at work currently.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Jeremy