1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade installation to Genie, plug and play?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Dradran, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    I currently have 1 HR-21-700 and 2 H21-200. I agreed to a 2 year agreement and they are sending me a Genie (hopefully HR44 since I am in the Denver area) and 2 Genie clients. I have WHDVR already working and an ICK.

Will I be able to simply unhook the coax cables and hook them up to the Genie and it work magically work?

Thanks!

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If you are disconnecting all old equipment, then you should be OK. Genie has 5 tuners, you have 4 now so if you don't disco the old stuff and you have a SWM8 system, you will run out of tuners.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You have better chances of getting a 44 thorough your local installer rather than drop ship from DirecTV. Also you would have to call DirecTV to activate the Genie and add the client licenses to your account. I would keep at least the HDDVR instead of a client

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    I did end up getting a HR-44 this morning. Yeah me. To answer my own question, I did need to remove the DECA modules from the equation as well as the ICK since it has an internal wireless connections. As peds said, I did have to call up DTV to activate the 2 genie clients. The only downside is I can no longer use my Patriots RC64 RF remote in RF mode. :(

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I did end up getting a HR-44 this morning. Yeah me. To answer my own question, I did need to remove the DECA modules from the equation as well as the ICK since it has an internal wireless connections. As peds said, I did have to call up DTV to activate the 2 genie clients. The only downside is I can no longer use my Patriots RC64 RF remote in RF mode. :(

I would think as time goes by, DirecTV will come out with NFL remotes down the road.... If they get (or choose to keep) the exclusivity of the NFL next year.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app