1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade internal hard drive on hr44-500

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by davel, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1 of 128
    davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    Just wondering how to open the case on the HR44-500. Yes I know it voids the warranty and you can put an ESATA drive on there but I prefer not to have an external powered device.

From looking at it, it looks the case comes off from the top. Just wondering where the clips/screws are to release the case.

Thanks.

2. Jun 27, 2013 #2 of 128
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    If you have to ask you probably shouldn't attempt it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #3 of 128
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you have to ask you probably shouldn't attempt it.

+100000

4. Jun 27, 2013 #4 of 128
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It's in Humax's Service Manual, page 27. :)

5. Jul 1, 2013 #5 of 128
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There isn't one, that's what his smiley was for. It's not just the warranty, it's against the TOS if it's leased. If you don't own it, don't open it.

6. Jul 1, 2013 #6 of 128
  7. Jul 1, 2013 #7 of 128
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    To my table ? :)

8. Jul 2, 2013 #8 of 128
    davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    Thanks to another member for providing me the answer. First Weaknees has no authority to upgrade drives so you are better off to do it yourself.

1. On the bottom of the HR44 you will see 5 rectangular holes about 1/4" long. 2 on each side and one front in the middle. Each one of the holes has a metal release clip inside. I used a small screwdriver to release the clips. Just push to release no need to twist or pry. There is nothing above the metal clips so you can't hurt anything. I did have to push a little hard.

2. 2 torx 10 screws remove the hard drive and aluminum side cooler. Slide the hard drive toward the back a bit to release the latches from the base of the case and lift up and slide out.

3. 2 Phillips screws remove the side cooler and then the 4 Phillips screws that hold the hard drive to the bracket.

You are now free to replace or copy the existing drive (I copied mine to a 2TB drive)

Note that the drive is a "mini" 5.25 inch drive but a standard drive worked fine.

I would post a picture of the lid if I could figure out how to attach it. PM me if you know.

Attached Files:

lschwarcz, say-what and mbt like this.
  9. Jul 2, 2013 #9 of 128
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Click "Edit", then "Use Full Editor", "Attach Files:Choose File" that will attach your pictures

10. Jul 2, 2013 #10 of 128
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    see updated above

11. Jul 2, 2013 #11 of 128
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    WeaKnees.com is the only authorized DirecTV reseller offering upgrades and warranties on DirecTV DVRs in-house.

Seems to me they have plenty of authority. Directv Clearly states you DON"T!

12. Jul 3, 2013 #12 of 128
    davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    Actually I have just as much authority as them. Another senior member of this forum said that they have no blessing from directv to do upgrades. They may be an authorized reseller of OEM equipment but DTV does not allow them to change said equipment. If they have another warranty for their upgrades then people may feel safe for paying $300 for a 1 TB upgrade for $85 in parts and 5 clips :rolleyes:

13. Jul 3, 2013 #13 of 128
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As much authority as them or not, its still none for you unless you own the HR44. Even being a Michigan fan gives you no additional rights to open a leased receiver.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jul 3, 2013 #14 of 128
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Lets slow down with an accusation: he is not guilty while a violation is not proven.

15. Jul 3, 2013 #15 of 128
    Joe166

Joe166 AllStar

Jan 5, 2007
    I presume you mean accusation, but the maxim "Not guilty unless and until proven guilty beyond and to the exclusion of every reasonable doubt", while the law of the land in criminal cases has no bearing in a civil dispute, where the burden is preponderance of the evidence and it seems to me that openly posting exactly how you can do something might lift you above that threshold where the seals are broken and something goes wrong. The internet is nowhere near as anonymous as some might like it to be. People seem to think that contracts mean nothing. I have no idea if that person is violating the contract, but if I were asked which way the proof is leaning it seems to be toward a violation IF ONE OCCURS AT ALL. However, shooting your mouth off about how to break a contract in the abstract is not a violation as far as I know. Encouraging others to break THEIR contracts with DTV might well be a different problem involving tortious interference with a contract or business relationship.

I doubt that anyone would bring an action on that basis, but it is not entirely a trivial matter.

16. Jul 3, 2013 #16 of 128
    Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Really? I would never 'encourage' anyone to open a leased receiver but plenty do it with no troubles. What could be the consequence? You have to pay for a broken/damaged receiver.. Maybe... Maybe not even that. Could DirecTV sue you for breach? Technically maybe... In reality not even a tiny chance!

Encouraging others to break their contracts? You would more likely win a lottery you didn't enter before DirecTV even notices.

Weeknees falls into that category... You are knowingly leasing a DVR that has been 'violated'. Sinful I say, just sinful.

Bottom line is if you want to open a receiver you leased you are taking a risk and probably shouldn't do it. But, if you do, you'll have to deal with DirecTV and not people here trying to be the DirecTV police! :bink:

1 person likes this.
  17. Jul 3, 2013 #17 of 128
    davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    Every thread here evolves into the scare tactics of the "don't do it" mafia. At least the instructions got on the first page before the OT babble started.

1 person likes this.
  18. Aug 9, 2013 #18 of 128
    SharpCat

SharpCat New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Just wanted to let everyone know I had no problem swapping out the 1TB internal hard drive inside a HR44 with a 2, 3, or even 4 TB drive. (I highly suggest a Video rated Hard Drive)

Yes the top cover pops off with a thin flat screw driver to unlock 5 snap clips, located in slots on the bottom of the unit.
    The hard drive comes out with 2 tork screws which hold a thin metal bracket towards the front of the unit.
    Disconnect the Sata cable from the drive and slip the sled slightly forward, to unlock 2 metal tabs, then carefully back and the drive is in your hand. Remove the black heat sink and 4 mounting screws from the sled. Reverse the process and your done, took me about 15 minutes.

Its just silly to pay "someone" to do this for you. IMO this is a much cleaner & more reliable install than using an eSata drive. I have upgraded all 5 of my THR22 Tivo internal drives with 2TB drives with zero failures in 20 months.

If you have any Mini-Genie clients (HR31/41) you will have to put in new passwords.
    Go to Settings, Whole-Home, Add A Client. A PIN will be displayed on the screen, power up the Genie client and you will be prompted to enter that PIN.

Another nice feature of all Genie boxes is that you can copy settings from another box, including the Genie DVR itself. This means you don't have to redo your favorites lists and other common settings. Simply click on "Copy Settings" in the Whole Home sub menu and copy your old settings from one of your Mini Clients back to the Genie.

Really that's all there is to it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Aug 9, 2013 #19 of 128
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gotta disagree. As far as I know, Weaknees has never been granted authority to modify leased DVRs, they just do it. That's why if an HR they have modified goes south you have to send it back to Weaknees to get an original HDD to replace the larger HDD they put in it. Then you can call D* and get an exchange. I know they are and always have been a D* authorized reseller, but nobody, as far as I know, is authorized to modify the HRs. All the guys I used to know there are gone and the folks there now just aren't as pleasant. BTW, the original owner was a guy on this forum. His username was...Weaknees.

When the HRs came out and we started using eSATAs I spent a lot of time on the phone with Jason and his cohorts explaining how the eSATAs worked and how to set them up.

Rich

20. Aug 9, 2013 #20 of 128
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is one of the reasons I own 10 HRs. I'll plant flowers in them if I want to. Personally, I think eSATAs are a PITA. I only have 2 leased HRs with external HDDs left and when they go south I won't replace them.

Rich

1 person likes this.