1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade path from Tivo Series 2 and DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gmueller, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmueller

gmueller New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I've had DirecTV now for 11 years. Still have the original receiver. And yes its slow as molasses. Along the way I discovered Tivo and hooked that into my system.

Currently have a Tivo series 2 with lifetime service on it and the old DirecTV receiver. I do not have the combo DirecTivo single unit. Don't have HD TV yet, but interested in getting one.

So is there any way with either the DirecTV HD receiver or a DirecTV DVR that I could still use the Tivo unit to record programs in SD? That lifetime service is a pretty valuable commodity and would hate to see it go to waste.

I also use the TivotoGo function to copy selected content to one of my PCs and then burn to DVD. Not interested in doing that with HD content but I'd like the ability to do it with SD programs.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thanks

Gerry

2. sacalait

sacalait Godfather

Aug 6, 2007
    West Palm...
    First off...:welcome_s

As far as I know, it can't be done, but that's not to say someone else doesn't know of a way.

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I second the Welcome, gmueller! :welcome_s

You should be able to connect the H20 or H21 to your TiVo using S-video and record the content in SD. You can also record the HD channels, but as you are aware, they will also be SD, though a pretty decent picture, from what I understand. I'm not sure if the H20/21s have a serial port or if you would have to use the IR thingy's. :)

You would not be able to do that with a DVR, however. Or maybe it is possible, but would just be easier to record using the DVR instead of the TiVo. If you were using the DVR to record two things at once, you would not be able to change channels to record using the TiVo.

I''ve got my Series 2 w/DVD burner connected to a D10 (or is it D11) standard def DirecTV receiver.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I use the Svideo output of a Directv H20 receiver to a lifetime series 1 Tivo. The only thing it won't do which the series 2 might, is sent the cchannel change command to the receiver for channels with a "-" in them, such as 11-1 or 16-2... However, I get around that by telling the Tivo to record channel 16, and then program the receiver to switch to 16-2, which happens right after the Tivo command, so the Tivo thinks is on 16. Works great. HD programs record in the mode your receiver is set to, either widescreen sd or letterbox. Uses the IR, no serial port, but works well. I record all the SD shows on it, and save the space on my hr-20 for HD. Once you get a H20, call Directv for a free 5lnb dish, or see if they will give you a free H20. If you go that route, and you use OTA for locals, make sure they don't give you a H21, it has no internal ota tuner.

5. Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    I had a Series 2 standalone before I upgraded my TV and DirecTV service. I now record shows on the same Series 2 from my H20 box. The H20 is set for HD output only, so the signal coming out the S-video jack is either an HD program horizontally squished, or an SD program that is not only horizontally squished, but also has pillar bars on top of that! Playing back from the Tivo, the TV stretches the (squished) 4x3 image back out to 16x9, so the aspect ratio is preserved. Not the best quality, but I'm not ready to ditch the Tivo, and the wife wouldn't be too happy about switching to a new UI if we went with the DirecTV DVR...

Also have a USB to serial adapter on the H20, so the Tivo still changes channels via 232, not IR.

- Chip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.