1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by 2Newfs, Feb 20, 2013.

1. 2Newfs

2Newfs New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    I have been a Dish customer for many years and currently have two 622's with the Everything Package. I have been off contract for several years now. Our local phone company, TDS, has recently started their own TV service. Their ads and the ads for the Hopper have me thinking it may be time to upgrade. I have several questions that the forum might me able to help me with. The first is if anyone has any experience or opinions on the Cisco 7500/7000 boxes being used by TDSTV.

The second has to do with the Hopper set up. I would really like the Sling and iPad features of the the new hopper. However, I really think I would need two Hoppers since my wife is always recording LMN or Hallmark when I want to watch ESPN. I also have a third TV I would like to set up. Can I get 2 Hoppers and one Joey? Will a third line need to be run from the dish to handle the third TV in this setup? The final question is will the Hoppers and Joey's integrate the OTA signals like my 622's?

PS Anyone know how much more this will cost me per month?

2. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi, I would not be able to assist you with the TDSTV equipment but I can answer you about the DISH upgrade. DISH cannot offer a 2 Hopper/1 Joey install through the CSR's as we do not have this option. We can do One Hopper and two Joeys or a 2 Hopper/2Joey install. You can contact a local retailer as they do have some leeway on the install options. The line will run from the dish to a duo node and then to the Hopper and Joey(s). There is a USB OTA tuner available for the Hopper but you would need one for both Hoppers. Any Joey connected to a Hopper with the OTA would be able to view locals but not both Hoppers. I would need to review your account to let you know about the pricing but you will be charged a $10.00 a month DVR fee and the first receiver will not be charge but for each additional Hopper/Joey will be a $7.00 a month fee. If you would like specifics, please PM me your account or phone number and the four digit security code on your account and I will assist you further. All upgrade do require a 24 month commitment and credit card authorization only for $1.00 to qualify for the upgrade.

3. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    There set top boxes are IP based and use the Microsoft Mediaroom platform that is also used on AT&T U-Verse boxes. You are limited to I believe 4 simultaneous streams (3 in HD & 1 in SD) for recording or watching live total for the entire house. Personally, I have never used TDS or U-Verse but both are offered in the Metro area where I live, but generally the very few people I know that have TDS TV seem to be pretty happy with no major complaints but YMMV.

You will probably want to compare there channels and programming to DISH as they may not have certain HD channels/programming that you want.

You can view the Channel Lineup for you area here: http://www.tdstelecom.com/TDSTV/TDSTVChannelLineup.aspx

TDS Reviews: http://www.dslreports.com/comments/1135

4. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I was just about to contact a Dirt rep to request an upgrade from my 722/612/612 setup to a Hopper w Sling, Hopper, Joey setup - am I reading this correctly that Dish will not authorize that? I only have 3 TVs, so two Hoppers and two Joeys would not make sense for me, but I need the options that two Hoppers provide.

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Dish is very soggy about 2 Hopper only or 2 Hopper w/one Joey installs. I've read of some getting the CSR to set it up, but they had to jump through some hoops and make a fair number of calls.

But the local independent installers can and often do, install just like that. Check with one to see what the cost might be doing it that way.

The other way that has been reported to work is order 2 Hoppers+2 Joeys and decline one Joey on the install, or call Dish and have them send a recovery box and send one back.

6. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Why in the heck does Dish want to make me take two Joeys if I have two Hoppers?

I'm guessing, with my luck, that if I tried to decline the Joey on the install, the installer would tell me it was required and not do the rest of the install. I also suspect that, if Dish is forcing a Joey per Hopper, they'd refuse to allow me to return one after install. :mad:

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Then check with a local independent retailer to see what they can do for you.

When I switched, Dish told me no way to get just 2 Hoppers. So I called a local installer and he came the next day and installed just what I wanted and the price was exactly the same as Dish's offer. Might work for you and it only costs you a telephone call! :)

8. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Is there any reasonable rationale for why Dish would require every Hopper to have a Joey?

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Probably not! :)

I look at it like I look at the 'deals' you get when you call in. Whatever the Magic 8 Ball says is it! :)