Upgrade to HD Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Heyward Mattox, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Heyward Mattox

Heyward Mattox New Member

Nov 3, 2018
    I have a 10 year old Slimline Dish with a WLP3PIGWNC LNB which has 4 f terminals. I have a new SWIM LNB which has only 1 f terminal. I switched out the LNB and installed the newer 1 Terminal LNB. I wish to connect an HD Receiver H25 and a non HD Box D12-700. I have a new SWIM 2 way splitter with red Connector on the input side and a red On one of the out connectors.
    I installed the SWIM SPlITTER from dish to the red terminal on inlet side of the and on the outlet side red terminal to the HD box. I decided to check one box at a time so i did not connect the non HD box. The TV with the HD Box could not acquire a satellite, I removed the SWIM SPLITTER just to make sure that was not an issue still no signal. I reinstalled the old LNB and checked to see if the HD Receiver would work, it will not.
    Do I have to re-aim the Dish for HD? I will continue to watch non HD until I figure this out.
    By the way I checked my HD Box, LNB and splitter on another slimline dish I have at another home I have, all works fine. Thanks

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would add PI to power up the SWiM LNB

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    As P. Smith notes ...

You need at least a 21v (the "black" colored one) "Power Inserter" or "PI" connected to the power-passing leg of the SWiM splitter. Otherwise the SWiM LNB cannot get power which is why the H25 could not receive any satellite signals.

Also, be advised the D12 receiver's days are quite limited now. As DIRECTV's original MPEG-2 based transmission format or "DSS", may be phased out by sometime late next year.

And unless it's been used previously on your account, DIRECTV won't even activate it. ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

4. Heyward Mattox

Nov 3, 2018
    Thank you both for replying. The H25 works fine at my other home. I use the H25 and a HR54 DVR I split the signal with only SWIM Splitter no PI.
    I am pretty handy with electricity but Cable TV is not one of my specialties.
    Perhaps I should contact Direct TV to upgrade. I just hate to sit around and wait on them. The D12 is currently activated
    Thanks again.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Regardless of your electricity knowledge and experience, you must listen to experts here.
    As Sat TV equipment is new domain for you, please do what is recommended to you instead of bragging.

FYI:
    • The HR54 DOES provide the 29VDC to SWiM LNBF !
    • Your other STB DOES NOT!
    • D12 is MPEG-2 kind and DTV informed all users it will be exchanged to new models what does support MPEG-4 because of cutting off the MPEG-2 video compression in near future eg very soon! (while "DSS" signaling and its TS aka MPEG-1 will be used for system management for foreseeable future)

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The h54 has the pi built in. The h25 does not which is why you must install a pi on the new LNB

Also the h25 does not work with the old LNB. The old LNB is not swim and the h25 only works with a swim setup.

7. Heyward Mattox

Nov 3, 2018
    Thank you

8. Heyward Mattox

Nov 3, 2018
    Thanks that answers my question.

9. Heyward Mattox

Nov 3, 2018
    Thanks for your help

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    My pleasure.:D

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Couple of things though P. Smith ....

I think both the HR54 and HS17 only have 21 vdc internal PIs to power SWiM LNBs. And therefore won't power an external SWiM multiswitches that require the 29 vdc ("gray" colored) PI.

And don't the non-standard 130 byte DSS TS packets DIRECTV uses on the Ku band function just like the standard 188 byte ones. Where whenever "Program Specific Information" ("PSI") metadata is sent, the payload portion of those packets don't carry any MPEG compressed data at all?

12. Heyward Mattox

Nov 3, 2018

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Well, while the info is not relevant for the thread, I would imagining that "grey" PI port multiswitch (did you mean DSW-30 ?) is tolerating to 21 VDC power, if the PI would provide adequate max current to it.
    For sure it will power it to boot and send any messages to STB to complain … ;)

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's what I mean when did emphasize "DSS" vs "MPEG-2" or "MPEG-1" words ...

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    in reality DSS packets has 131 bytes length, include sync bite 0x1D;
    while MPEG (I would be better use DVB-S) has 188 byte packets include sync byte 0x47

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I've personally never attempted to use a 21v PI on an analog SWiM-8/16, or new digital DSWiM-30 external multiswitch as a test of DIRECTV's years long dogma to never to do so.

But others have told me the multiswitch usually works erratically at the lower 21 volts with causing random 771 (LOS), 775 (Unable to communicate with SWM) receiver error messages and reboots of the SWiM module itself.

P Smith likes this.
  17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh ...

Thought your statement back in post #11 ...

"(while "DSS" signaling and its TS aka MPEG-1 will be used for system management for foreseeable future)"

You meant that when PSI metadata is sent as payload, it uses MPEG-1 data compression. And I thought it didn't use any compression at all.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Thanks ....

Since DIRECTV's "oddball" format is proprietary and never officially published material.

I read confusing unofficial stuff about it. With one source claiming the TS packets are 130 bytes. With a 3 byte header and 127 byte payload. So I assumed the "header" included the sync byte as the first byte in the packet. .

One other thing though P. Smith that always confused me .. .

When we say "131" or "188" byte TS packets, aren't there actually around an additional 16 bytes of error correction block coding sent with it making the packets really 147 and 204 bytes total respectively?

"Reed-Solomon" ("RS") type error "outer" coding for DSS and DVB-S.

And "Bose, Chaudhuri, and Hocquenghem" ("BCH") for DVB-S2/SX?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 5:09 PM
  19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's good to know... while I prefer engineering methods : measure voltage, current, log/read SWiM messages between device...

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You are right - no compression of PSI tables (exclude long texts and names of channels). MPEG-1 as a compression would be applicable to video/audio PIDs...