1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to Whole House DVR - what will I need?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rwbuck, Aug 23, 2010.

1. rwbuck

rwbuck Mentor

Sep 25, 2006
    Want to upgrade to whole house DVR, but have some questions. Present config is:

HD H24-700
    HD H24-700
    HD-DVR HR22-100
    HD-DVR HR21-100
    DVR DIRECTV R15-100

Have a zinwell 6x8 switch, so all my outputs are taken. I also will be adding another HD receiver to this very soon. With the 6x8 I can't do it. What will be needed to upgrade to whole house DVR and to also add an additional reciever? Thanks!

2. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The R15 would need to be upgraded to a R16. Part of the upgrade would be to remove the Zinwell 6x8 and convert to SWM. Since you have more than 8 tuners, you would need the SWiM-16. For more info, click here:

Whole Home DVR Service FAQ's

:)

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The R-16 doesn't support MRV so if you want it on that box you'll need to get a HD DVR or HD receiver as part of the upgrade.

4. rwbuck

rwbuck Mentor

Sep 25, 2006
    What cabling changes would be needed? Right now, 4 cables come into the attic to the zinwell 6x8. From the zinwell the cables come down thru a closet and then to the basement - where they then feed up thru the floor to each reciever. Will the cabling need to be altered? I'd really like to have a feed straight from the dish into the closet, then feed everything from that point. I'd like to stay away from having any connections in the attic as it is very hard to access. Thanks again.

5. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    Since you only have 8 tuners you will need a SWMLNB and 8 port splitter to replace your WB68. The SWMLNB will replace your the LNB currently on your dish. Then you would put the splitter where the multiswitch is, being sure to terminate the unused ports. The rest of the cabling should be the same with the exception that you only need one cable going to each DVR/receiver. You can repurpose the extra coax for other uses and use one for the Broadband DECA (Internet Connection Kit). You will also need DECAs for your HR21 and HR22, but they connect inline from the wall to the coax and ethernet on the DVRs. Your H24s have them built in.

6. rwbuck

rwbuck Mentor

Sep 25, 2006
    Actually, with adding another receiver, I'll have 9 tuners. What will that do to the cabling / equipment requirements? Thanks.

7. vbedford

vbedford AllStar

Jul 24, 2008
    With that many tuners you might have problems..i just had dtv at my house for three days. It can really only handle 3 dvr's max and yes i had a 16.

8. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    With 9 tuners they'll need to use the existing dish wiring (4 cables) and install a SWM16 and splitters in place of the WB68. Essentially no changes to the existing wiring except for what's needed to add the new receiver.

9. rwbuck

rwbuck Mentor

Sep 25, 2006
    Would a new SWM16 be included in Directv's charge, or would it be an additional cost? To get whole house DVR they would also need to change the LNB - correct?

10. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    The SWM-16 will be included in the WHDVR cost. You should not need a new LNB if you are getting the SWM-16 since you already have HD unless you have the older sidecar dish. Then you would get a Slimline dish with the appropriate LNB.