Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kg5hqv, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Kg5hqv

Kg5hqv New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I am about to do my upgrade that i quality for every 2 years, tjis time ill be adding a TV my question is do i stick with a genie or try to get a tivo system?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You have a Genie. What other boxes? How many? Do you use the MRV/whole house and like it? Is yes, keep in mind the Tivo doesn't.

3. Kg5hqv

Kg5hqv New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Currently only 1 tv hooked up on a genie

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    get 4k TV and then call - you will get full upgrade to latest hr54 plus c61k client for small [$99+50) fee

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you're not planning on adding any TVs (or not going to go to 4K), then maybe a Tivo would be an option for you. We have multiple TVs and DVRs so not being able to use MRV would be a pain here.

I'd check around with other DIRECTV Tivo users though. Last I read, there hasn't been a software update in some time and I was under the impression that DIRECTV's support of the Tivo wasn't very good. Not like the old Tivos DIRECTV first had.

Personally, I'd hold off at least a year on 4K. Very very little programming available. I doubt 4K will die like 3D has, but until there is more programming in 4K, I wouldn't invest the money in the TV or DIRECTV equipment.

6. Kg5hqv

Kg5hqv New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Ill b adding 1 tv not 4k im a poor boy

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Stick with the Genie and dependig on the price either add a HDDVR or HD receiver or if the NEW TV is not used often get a mini all those choices for additional receivers are $7 a month - your price upgrade depending on the lease cost $199 -$99 or perhaps free depends on your account standing and mood of the csr when you call

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What model of Genie do you have?

The HR34 has had some issues and you might be able to get that upgraded to an HR44 or HR54 with a phone call. Then if you're adding another TV, either a mini (if the 5 tuners on the Genie is enough for your viewing requirements) or another DVR if you want to record more than 5. But that additional DVR, depending on the CSR you get and your account status, could be free or it could be $199. Mini would only be $99.

Good luck.

9. Kg5hqv

Kg5hqv New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I qualify for free upgrade,, . If i stick with a genie is the wireless 2nd tv idea good?

10. Kg5hqv

Kg5hqv New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I have hr44 right now. I qualify for the free upgrade which is wireless i think

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you have a 44, only the 54 is 'newer', but DIRECTV considers all the Genies the same. So typically you won't be able to upgrade from a Genie to another Genie.

Wireless -- do you really need it? If possible, I'd keep everything hard-wired. More reliable. Since you're adding a second TV (and DIRECTV), I don't know if they consider that a free upgrade. You'd be adding another box.

But call and find out. Don't commit to anything -- tell them you have to check with your significant other. Post here what they offer and people here can post their opinions.

12. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    I became eligible for a free Genie upgrade almost a year ago, so after weighing my options for a couple of months, I finally decided to upgrade to the wireless Genie and one mini. A regular upgrade would have been free, but I couldn't talk them into installing the wireless equipment for free. So I wound up having to pay $99.00 for the equipment and another $50.00 for installing it.

The wireless system works well about 95 percent of the time, but every once in a while the mini, and sometimes the Genie, loses its signal. Turn it off and back on and I'm usually good to go.

By the way, my receiver is an HR44. Normally fast response, at least compared to my old HR 21.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    HR44 is a good unit. I would never take wireless if wired was an option. Ever.