1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraded to hs17, have 1 question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by minimonster17, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Jun 9, 2018 #1 of 20
    minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Hello. I recently did a 4k upgrade with the hs17 and two c61k's. The job was changed out to the reverse band 4k version. I was previously on an hr44 with one c41. The installer never removed the old power inverter from the attic. I was under the impression the inverter was no longer needs with the hs17 and could be removed. Is this correct, and if so would the hs17 reboot correctly once the old inverter was removed? Or was there some reason for him leaving the old inverter in place when he performed the upgrade. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Jun 9, 2018 #2 of 20
    minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Also, can the hs17 be placed into a cabinet? I have a talk skinny cabinet door in my entertainment center it would fit perfectly into. I'd rather not continue to keep it on top of the entertainment center, for fear of my one year old knocking it over. Thanks again.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The external power inserter is fine - the HS17 can provide the power, but the external PS is also okay. If you do remove the power supply, make sure the coax from the HS17 goes directly to the dish (so the power from the HS17 gets through). There shouldn't be any splitters, but if there are you have to use the power passing port on the splitter.

Cooling is the only concern I would have with regard to placing the HS17 in your cabinet. It should have good air circulation around it. There are two reasons for the design of the HS17, one is proper air cooling and the other is placing the wifi antennae (in the top of the HS17) where they do the best job for wireless bridging. So if you do put it in the cabinet, check regularly to make sure it isn't getting hot in there.

4. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Ok. I may have to put a shelf in the wall high enough out of reach to rest the unit on then. I have a spli

5. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I have a splitter in the attic because the coax outlet supplying the tv is not original to the house. It was added later. Maybe that's why he left the power inverter.

6. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    How would I go about moving the hs17 to another location in the house? I attempted to plug it into another coax outlet in another room, and the clients did not pick up the server. I was led to believe by the original hs17 thread that the server could be located anywhere there was a coax.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You will need to connect the coax outlet in the other room to your dish. Satellite installations do not normally terminate any coax connector in any room that isn't being used during the installation.

Once your HS17 is active at the new location, you may have to power cycle the clients to get them to re-register with the HS17. Do them one at a time.

8. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Do you have two green lights on the HS17?

9. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Right now, I have two green lights. The hs17 is installed in the living room at a coax outlet where there is a client powering a tv. There is a second tv wall mounted in the master bedroom. I wanted to move the hs17 to the master bedroom to a third coax outlet not currently in use. When I attempted to do so, the top light on the server li t green, and the bottom light was yellow. The clients did not pick up the server.

when I put it back the way the installer had it, both lights were green again, and the clients picked up the server again. I don't want it in the living room anymore for fear of one of my kids knocking it over.

thank you all again for your help.

10. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Carl6, what do you mean by connecting the coax outlet in master bedroom to the dish? Making sure the third coax outlet i want to use is live and not a dead drop? Is there some sort of tool installers use to test coax outlets before climbing around in the attic and manually inspecting the drop all the way back to the dish?

11. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Are there any wired clients involved? Are you absolutely sure that that drop is connected to the rest of the system? Is the TV in the bedroom hardwired or wireless? If it's wired, then buy a two way splitter. Solid Signal has them DIRECTV 2-Way Wide Band Satellite Splitter for SWM Systems (SPLIT2MRV) from Solid Signal

If there are other splitters involved make sure they're all compatible with DTV and that power is being supplied to the LNB. I know you said there was a power inserter involved but make sure it's connected properly.

FWIW, my installer left the power inserter and a deca in place after installing the HS17. After doing a bit of research I removed both and replace two four way splitters with two two way splitters. The ethernet is plugged directly into the HS17 and coax connections go through the power passthrough port of the splitters. Much cleaner!

Wolfmanjohn likes this.
  12. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Grafixguy, you just may have figured out part of what is incorrect with my setup. When I attempted to remove the power inserted in the attic, I got an error message on the HS17. The splitter the installer put in the living room coax outlet with the HS17 was a regular SWM two way splitter model MSPLIT2R1-03.

The splitter in the attic is also one of the regular SWM two ways. Would I need to replace both these splitters with the wide band versions, or only the one at the coax outlet with the HS17? I guess I will replace the splitter(s), remove the power inverter, and move the HS17 to the master bedroom with the other tv.

13. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I initially wanted to move the HS17 to the master bedroom where the second tv is but at a different coax outlet on another wall. I'm not sure this is possible with hard wired clients from what I am reading here. If I am understanding everything correctly, the server will have to be at the same coax with the master bedroom tv, and installed with the correct wide band splitter as Grafixguy pointed out. Does this sound correct now?

14. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Just out of curiosity, how much would be involved in swapping over from a 3D2RBLNB to a 5D2RBLNB? Is it a direct bolt on swap, or is there coax rewiring or something else necessary? My wife would like for us to pick up more Spanish language channels, and I have read on here that this lnb is necessary to do so w/ a 4k setup.

would the dish have to be reaimed or anything afterwards to pick up the additional Spanish programming?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  15. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I am located 45 min North of Tampa FL if that is relevant.

16. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    The best way to test this is to get the splitter, and hook the HS17 and Genie mini in the bedroom to it using the working outlet. Since the Genie mini works, that set up should be fine.

17. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Ok, I got the HS17 moved to the master bedroom. Both TV's are working as they should. That setup is better for me and prevents me from placing the unit inside an entertainment cabinet, where it could've gotten hot.

Does anyone know the answer to my latest question, concerning swapping the 3D2RBLNB for the 5D2RBLNB?

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You should be getting some Spanish channels.
    I have an SL3 LNB and I get 341, 402, 404, 410, 464. Are there others that you want ?

Yes, the 5 is just an unscrew the bolts from the 3 and put the 5 in it's place.
    Probably have to unplug the power from each receiver / mini to get them to recognize the 5 LNB.

19. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Okay. I installed the correct wide band splitters, and connected the HS17 to the red power passing side. I was able to successfully remove the old power inverter.

I currently receive Spanish channels 402 and 404. I do not receive 341, 410, or 464. I currently have the house package with no additional international programming. Would I gain 341, 410, or 464 w/ the 5d2rblnb?

or is an upgrade to include the Directv En Espanol sub-package required in addition to the 5d2rblnb to obtain more Spanish programming? The Directv website really wasn't that helpful...

20. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I meant to say I have the Choice package, sorry.