1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading DVR for remote access

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Notifier, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Notifier

Notifier New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Is it possible to upgrade from a SD DVR to a HD DVR that supports "remote access" without having to pay extra fees?

Here's the situation: Have a 625 DVR and would like to have remote access. None of my televisions are HD and have no desire to buy any new TV's anytime soon. So if I call to upgrade to a compatible DVR (all are HD DVR's) for remote access will I get charged for HDTV also?

2. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    you can get one without the HD package but it will cost you about $7 per month extra to "enable" an HD DVR without a HD package. WHen I first got my VIP722 HD DVR I only had the Family package.

3. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Wrong. There is no more HD Enabling fee as of 2/1/09. The only cost the OP will incur is any up-front cost for the HDDVR itself, if any.

4. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    +1

5. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    You are correct. Should have remembered that as I still do not have HD (Classic Bronze) and that fee is now $0. Was just thinking back to when I first ordered my 722.

6. Notifier

Notifier New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    So from what I'm understanding it should be possible to upgrade without any additional monthly fees? With the exception of something silly like a "shipping" or "processing" charge (with I think is ridiculous but that's another thread). I guess best solution would be to just call and find out, but didn't want the embarrassment (or argument). Thanks for the replies!

7. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    To avoid any possible questions tell them you are buying an HDTV soon and you want a 722.

8. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Since you do not have any HD equipment already, Dish will not ship the receiver to you, it has to be installed. You get a dish upgrade thrown in for when/if you get an HDTV and want HD programming. An HDDVR could run the gamut of free to $200, depending on your account history, and require a new 24-month commitment.