Upgrading Hopper 2 to carbon UI

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by mattyhoops, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Oct 5, 2016 #1 of 95
    mattyhoops

mattyhoops New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Chester, VA
    I've been reading online that you can force the Hopper 2 to upgrade to the new carbon UI. Does it work? Is it safe? I can't find mention of the force upgrade in this forum...

Has anyone had their Hopper 2 upgrade automatically? The last software update on mine was 6/22. That seems like a long time!

Thanks!

2. Oct 5, 2016 #2 of 95
    HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    For me yes it works and yes it is safe.

3. Oct 5, 2016 #3 of 95
    mattyhoops

mattyhoops New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Chester, VA
    Hmm. Didn't work for me. Did the play play recall code. Selected download now. Just rebooted like it does overnight. Nothing changed. Same software version.

4. Oct 5, 2016 #4 of 95
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    When the time comes and they dump that UI heap on the HwS, I hope there will be a code to force it back. :)

5. Oct 6, 2016 #5 of 95
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yet that UI fixes some of the stuff you complain about in other threads. :)

For those who do force their HWS over to Carbon ... there is no force back.

6. Oct 6, 2016 #6 of 95
    mattyhoops

mattyhoops New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Chester, VA
    Well, it did work. I jumped the gun and turned it back on too fast. Once I turned it off after the reboot it started downloading right away. It was late by the time it was done so I only explored for a little while. Here's my immediate impressions:

1- I don't know how with just a software upgrade, but the PQ is improved! The picture seems more vibrant and less artifacts around moving graphics (sports scores, news tickers, etc). I know some people don't notice the PQ, but going from DTV to Dish 2 years ago I noticed it immediately. I sit about 8-9 feet away from a 55" TV. That's really been my only complaint with Dish. My hopper has worked flawlessly for 2+ years now.

2- The UI is a nice new look; I was actually hoping for a little bit more though. The functionality seems about the same - just may be different ways to do it now.

3- As others have said I do prefer the 3 hour block on the old guide.

4- When you access the DVR screen and go to the Schedules tab at the top....once you move down to navigate between scheduled recordings I can't find a way to get back to the tabs at the top without exiting the DVR screen completely. This is the only "bug" I have found so far.

5- Seems more 'friendly' with external HD. You can transfer recordings from the program listing in the DVR screen. Don't have to go to separate menu now.

The Apps hadn't finished loading so I couldn't explore those yet. What are some other 'bugs' people have found?

7. Oct 6, 2016 #7 of 95
    tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    How do you force it?

8. Oct 6, 2016 #8 of 95
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    "Skip" left and right moves you between tabs even if you are down in the list. Up arrow gets you to the tabs, but in the schedule you would have to go through all of the previous days first.

9. Oct 6, 2016 #9 of 95
    mattyhoops

mattyhoops New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Chester, VA
    Menu >> Settings >> Diagnostics >> Updates

On your remote key: play, play, recall

Message will pop-up asking if you want to download now or later. If you select now the hopper will re-boot, then wait a few minutes for the download to start. Takes about 30 mins.

As others have said, upgrade at your own risk. Once done you can't go back to the old UI.

10. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I downloaded it shortly after it became available and it took a bit of learning on how to navigate around in it but would not want to go back to the old way.
    I have two Hopper 2s and planned to leave the second one with the old format but it downloaded automatically when I wasn't looking so my plans to run comparisons was dashed. Just as well as I like the new UI and have NO major complaints with it.

11. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    Yep, I was going to do the same thing.
    And in less than 24 hours, the other Hopper was Updated automatically.

12. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    And yet, that UI also includes stuff that's much worse. :)

13. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Did not work

14. Bitspitter

Bitspitter New Member

May 8, 2015
    I upgraded mine with no issues. I was already planning to upgrade to the Hopper 3, so my main reason for the upgrade was to enable the Ethernet transfer of recordings to the Hopper 3. Activated the Hopper 3 and with a back-to-back Ethernet connection transferred all of my recordings. Very slick option. No screwing around with an external drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    Is it Hooked up to a satellite dish?
    And it also has to be activated first.

Last I saw you got a Hopper "Trash find" that you were attempting to use for OTA.

So whats the actual status?

16. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Was before activated
    Was owned not leased according to dish
    When I do the command it just shuts off and reboots
    HDD Failure, new drive not recognized
    Connected to the internet (was using it to stream from my server)
    Is connected to satellite (1000.4 EA) with 40 signal on 72 ONLY
    OTA works but no guide data
    Correct G4 Smart card
    No joeys in the system
    Connected to a DP44 with a ViP922 on the line
    And that's it

17. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    Well I see numerous issues with your setup .
    You have far worse other issues with that setup, My guess thats why the Hopper won't function properly.
    Also the Hopper has been deactivated by the previous owner.

So unless they give 14 year olds DISH accounts now, I doubt your parents will have Directv and Dish Network since financially that makes zero sence.
    On that note the Hopper I doubt has been reactivated.

2nd you need more than a DPP44 for a Hopper and a 922 to be on the same system.

18. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Wha else do I need?

19. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    Well start with a Hopper that actually has a functioning hard drive.

20. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    List things I need