1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading old receiver - what should I expect?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ipljeff, Oct 28, 2011.

1. ipljeff

ipljeff Cool Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I am thinking about upgrading my old HR10-250 unit with a new HDDVR. I also have an HR20-700 on the main TV. I've read just a little on here about all of the new technology available. I'm wondering what should I look for and/or ask for when this is installed. What receiver should I expect? What one would be the best? Will there just be one line required or the standard 2 lines? Will the current dish work? Will the new DVR have an off air tuner input? What about the whole house DVRs? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to be well informed and get the best equipment/installation I can. And this is the place to go for an education for sure. Thanks!!

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The latest DVRs are the HR24s. The only way to be assured of getting one is to purchase one from SolidSignal. Otherwise you will get what ever the tech has in his truck. You didn't post your setup so it's hard to answer your other questions.

3. ipljeff

ipljeff Cool Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I have the kind of oval dish with 4 lines coming off of it. 2 go to the HR20-700 and 2 go to the HR10-250. I have an off-air antenna that also runs a line to the HR20-700. Both TVs are Toshiba 52" DLPs. I hope that's what you needed. :D Thanks!

4. taoseno

taoseno Cool Member

Sep 12, 2011
    I called DTV two weeks ago and requested upgrades for my two SD receivers ( I also have a H20-100 w/ 2TB ext drive). I got one HD DVR and one HD receiver for free. Now the question was what was on the truck? I got lucky w/ one HR24-500 and another H24 (both brand new). The problem was the installer was not authorized to install a SWM system. After a little negotiation the installer agreed to install the SWM system; instead of drilling holes to run another line to my new hr24-500. It cost me a little out of pocket to tip the guy but well worth it!

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    All of the current HD DVRs are similar in function/operation to the HR20 that you have with one major exception: They do not have OTA tuners. There is an add-on tuner, the AM21, that you can get for the HR2x series DVRs.

The dish you have will directly support a swap of your HR10 to a newer HR2x. However, you may also want to consider adding whole-home service (which will allow you to watch recordings from either DVR on the other). If you do that, the LNB assembly in the dish will be replaced.

DirecTV did, for awhile, offer upgrades for the Tivo based equipment but I don't think those promotions are still in effect. You should certainly ask though.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you did get the HR10 updated and got Whole Home, you wouldn't necessarily need an AM21, just depends on what you wanted to do. If you only played back things recorded from OTA on the HR20, the replacement wouldn't need it.

You'd only need the AM21 if you want to record or watch something live on the new box. You can say that you need OTA on it, and they can make sure you get an HR20. Newer boxes have 3D support and bigger hard drives (HR22 or higher).

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Call and ask. I'm guessing from your equipment, you're currently not under contract. That could be very advantageous to you.

I'd ask them to price two replacement HDDVRs, whole-home viewing, an AM-21 and if you want some VOD, ask for a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). Post your results back here.

8. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    You got that right! D* just sent me a HR22-100 refurb piece of crap to replace the HR21-700 which had a hard drive failure. I already have an HR22-100 which also replaced a failed HR21. The HR22 is the worst box I have ever had.

9. taoseno

taoseno Cool Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Yes that was my mistake I should have asked for the whole home service; that way I would not have had to talk the guy into doing the SWM upgrade............