1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by patg25, Mar 27, 2013.

1. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    Had a question regarding receivers. I have been with D* now back again for 2 1/2 years. Was gone for a couple of years when I moved and before with them 6 years.

I want to upgrade one of my SD receivers to an HD receiver (not a DVR, already got 3 of those). Since I have been with D* over 2 years would now be committed for another 2 years? Do they charge for an upgrade? Would it make sense to just buy one of eBay and activate it?

Thanks.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you get it from DirecTV, you very well may get it at a discount or free. It would start a commitment. You can buy one from a seller on eBay etc, but be very careful. They may think that they own it, but they may not. If I were to buy one, and no one was selling one here, I'd probably ask for a picture of the RID with todays newspaper, then call the Access Card department to verify. I'd probably PM Texasbrit and ask if he still had one of his that he was selling.

3. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    Thanks for the info. Just went on the D* website and checked. Indeed the receiver was free; and I am guessing I would be signing up for 2 more years. What I don't understand - and I probably have to call them - they added a $10 charge for HD service in the cart. When I signed up for D* I got free HD for live.

4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you already have free hd, that should continue. It's probably a default setting that shows the charge for hd.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    before committing for 2 years, I would call DirecTV and confirm

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I agree. If the website is adding a charge that shouldn't be added, I wouldn't just assume that it will be dropped at a later step in the process. I'd call and talk to a human being in order to resolve the issue right up front.