Uplink Activity for the Week of 10-11-5 .......

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by JohnH, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    7289 WVEC MOVED FROM Tp 4 on AMC 15 at 105w
    TO Tp 15 on AMC 15 at 105w

7290 WTKR MOVED FROM Tp 4 on AMC 15 at 105w

7291 WAVY MOVED FROM Tp 4 on AMC 15 at 105w

7292 WVBT MOVED FROM Tp 4 on AMC 15 at 105w

141 ESPND is available to somebody. Don't know who yet.

2. kevruth

kevruth Mentor

Jan 7, 2004
    So is this viewable yet? I'm at work so I can't check it out.

3. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    At last check it was not in my EPG(AT180/Multisports).

4. kevruth

kevruth Mentor

Jan 7, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I've got the Everything package so if it isn't showing for you it probably isn't for me either.

5. sminnick42

sminnick42 Cool Member

Oct 4, 2005
    It is availiable to dish latino subscribers...If you subscribe to Dishn latino dos, it takes the place of regular espn, if you subscribe to Dish lation max, you will have both of them.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm guessing Dish Latino only. (Using 141 for placement not further user groups.)

Edit: "Takes the place of"? ESPN isn't in DL/DL2.

JL

7. sminnick42

sminnick42 Cool Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Not no more it's not, but it was in dish latino Dos...And the channel is going be on 854.

8. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Are we still talking about 141?

9. sminnick42

sminnick42 Cool Member

Oct 4, 2005
    ESPND, will be simulcasted on channel 141, with the channel being 854.

10. johnbelt28

johnbelt28 AllStar

Nov 6, 2004
    Why would it take the place ESPND and ESPN have barely any programming the same.Charlie mentioned a few times on Charlie Chats that ESPND was one of the most requested channels.I'm guessing a big chunk of the those request were from english speaking customers who don't subscibe to or won' t subscribe to Dish latino packages.

11. co_gooner

co_gooner AllStar

Aug 1, 2005
    Perhaps thats the idea, make the English speaking footy (soccer) nuts (such as I :p ) pay extra to get the channel? I hope I'm wrong though and they make it available to AT180 subscribers, maybe in English like Gol TV as well? Or am I just dreaming there? :rolleyes:

12. johnbelt28

johnbelt28 AllStar

Nov 6, 2004
    I doubt it would be in English.There is Formula-One which they wouldn't have the english rights to.There is Mexican college Football as in pads and helmets.Maybe they would put the Chanpions League in english.

13. kevruth

kevruth Mentor

Jan 7, 2004
    It is highly requested by english speaking customers for only one reason: European Champions League soccer. ESPN owns the rights. Each round there are 16 matches. ESPN only airs two of those matches on ESPN2. All of the matches air whether live or tape delay on ESPN Deportes. The Champions League is the most requested of soccer telecasts because it brings together all of the fans of each of the different European leagues and is a competition that involves the best teams in the world.

Up until this year ESPN only aired one match per round. They have been told by UEFA (the european governing soccer body) that if they don't get more matches into more U.S. homes that they will lose the rights to future Champions League contracts. Those rights don't just encompass the U.S. but all of South and Central Amerca. It would also effect there rights packages in Asia and Oceania as well. All in all, ESPN has a lot to lose if they don't make the small U.S. soccer population happy as UEFA has been listening to our complaints about ESPN's lack of TV coverage here in the U.S.

My guess is that the activity at Channel 141 revolves around the same thing as what GolTV was when it came to Dish. I'm suspecting a possible English language version of Deportes and Dish is the exclusive test market for it. There is no reason to offer another Spanish channel as Dish would just unscramble Channel 854 for those that had something live AT120 or higher just as they do with Galavision, Telefutura and Univision. I would think Dish wants to keep all of the Spanish language channels in the 800 series of channels and not have one all by itself amongst all of the other English language channels. This all looks like a repeat of GolTV.

14. kevruth

kevruth Mentor

Jan 7, 2004
    They could not offer Formula One in english as those rights are owned by Speed Channel. In cases where ESPN did not have the english rights they would air that telecast in Spanish.

This is happening right now with Fox Sports en Espanol. They are going to start to offer an English subchannel. If they do not have the English rights they will only broadcast in Spanish. In Fox's case they say that they would only be able to air 70% of the content in English.

15. co_gooner

co_gooner AllStar

Aug 1, 2005
    Kevruth, I hope you're right mate - coz that would be f'in fantastic :D

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    At this point 141 Desportes is only for DL and above - just like 854.

JL

17. co_gooner

co_gooner AllStar

Aug 1, 2005
    So maybe I was right and E* see this as an opportunity to gouge some more money out of a section of it's customers :( They've turned down the chance to add Setanta Sports, and have rather added ESPND, which is great, not a bad alternative, but only for Latino package customers, the majority of which I expect will not even watch it, meanwhile the soccer nuts who were probably the people lobbying for it in the first place get shafted :mad: Again, hope I'm wrong, but...

18. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    EPG info for channel 141:

Name: ESPN Deportes Has Replaced ESPN
    We now offer ESPN Deportes on channel 854, replacing ESPN in our DISH Latino DOS pkg. ESPN is available in our DISH Latino MAX pkg.Description Source: Dish

BTW: Channel is in same language as 854.

19. co_gooner

co_gooner AllStar

Aug 1, 2005
    So they're screwing over everyone :mad: English speaking soccer fans who lobbied DISH for this channel so they could watch the Champions League and DISH Latino customers who watch regular ESPN, who will now have to upgrade to Latino Max to continue watching regular ESPN. Way to go Charlie... :nono2:

20. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    According to the Dish web site, ESPN (140) is available in the following packages:

Satellite:

Channel:

Transponder:

Available in:

AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
    AMERICA'S TOP 120
    AMERICA'S TOP 180
    AMERICA'S TOP 60
    AMERICA'S TOP 60 PLUS
    AMERICA'S TOP 60 PLUS (WITH LOCALS)
    DISH LATINO EVERYTHING PAK
    DISH LATINO MAX WITH PLAYBOY

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/channels/index.asp?NetwID=50378

See ya
    Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.