1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPS Battery replacements

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by jimmie57, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Aug 2, 2018 #1 of 14
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My BE550G battery just died in my son's setup. I plugged the plugs into the other side of the UPS that is just surge suppressed and it is running now. My other 2 are still working. These were purchased in early 2010 as best I can tell from my old posts here. No battery has ever been replaced in them during the last 8 years.

I find the UB1280 in several configurations.
    The 7ah is what came in it. There is an 8ah that fits right into it so that it will run 14% longer than the 7ah.
    The 9ah will not fit. It is 1/16" thicker and so it will not slide in the slot in the UPS.

One other thing I found was that different sellers use the F1 or F2 terminal to connect with,
    The F1 is 0.187" wide and the F2 is 0.250" wide.

I felt sure I had read this in some reviews on Amazon. Indeed , using the F1 connector caused problems for a few posters.

I ordered 3 of them with 8ah and the F2 connection.

Check all specs before ordering a replacement for these since the slot they fit in is snug.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Delroy E Walleye likes this.
  2. Aug 3, 2018 #2 of 14
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if you can manage to change Fx connector and find a battery of same size with higher capacity [Ah] then it would be beneficial for your UPS;
    BTW, from IT stand point - the battery should be tested (charge-discharge measuring cycle) monthly and replaced immediately after reaching 50% capacity but no longer than 5 years of work
    [corrected]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  3. Aug 3, 2018 #3 of 14
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    *than*

Since I've gotten old and somewhat feeble, I purchase from and have my UPS batteries serviced by Interstate Batteries.

www.interstatebatteries.com

4. Aug 3, 2018 #4 of 14
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you were referring to Pete's post in this thread, isn't "then" used properly in his post?

Rich

5. Aug 3, 2018 #5 of 14
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    No, sorry.

I've noticed that more and more I see then and than misused. For correct usage, I would refer you to your local dictionary. I now return you to the original topic:

UPS Battery replacements

6. Aug 3, 2018 #6 of 14
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    to me, than, is correct.

7. Aug 3, 2018 #7 of 14
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    A quote of the post you are responding to goes a long way toward avoiding misunderstandings.

Now we return you to our normal discourse ...

8. Aug 3, 2018 #8 of 14
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And this is why it is best not to worry about minor typos and errors in posts. :(

9. Aug 3, 2018 #9 of 14
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Appreciate the reminders about UPS.

Still using the 1st one for nearly 8 & 3/4 years. Original batt and running 2 DVRs.

Since installed, added another DVR and a PI.

Used to run for 40 - 50 mins w/the 2 DVRs, then about a half-hour with the added equipment.

An hour-long PF about two weeks ago showed-up the old batt. Despite one already-unplugged (& unused since UI 1037 went away, another long story) HR44 and the unplugging of the 2nd DVR to leave one recording HR and the PI, I don't think it even lasted much beyond 5 mins.

P. Smith is right on about 5 years. Back then it would still stay up over a half-hour, and has deteriorated steadily.

(Even so, it has still been invaluable for short-duration PFs, of which there have been many over the years).

At any rate, I think these things are supposed to be "hot-swappable." Guess I'm gonna find out.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am definitely not going to HOT Swap mine. I like electricity but I am not touching it unless it is unplugged from the wall.

I think when Jason's battery ran down it ran to a dead short. Nothing runs that goes thru the battery. When I plug to the other side it is only a surge suppressor and everything hooked to it works.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well, it was a sentence of "if … then …"
    if you could explain why it should be "if … than …" ?
    ah, found the error at and of my post, I stand corrected now

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Well, I switched out the one in the den and the one in the bedroom without any problem.
    When I changed the one in my sons room I got a constant squeal, which is what it was doing that caused me to buy the batteries. In his room I had one of those Monster Power Centers hooked up and 3 of the devices were plugged into it. I unplugged them one by one and restarted the UPS. The squeal was still there. Note that the Monster Power Center was plugged into the UPS. I unplugged it and the squeal stopped. I guess it finally died all together.
    I plugged in the devices that now had no power into a Power Strip and plugged the power strip where the Power Center used to be and all is working now with the Monster Power Center out of the system.
    Yeah !
    I am too old for this getting down on the floor and chasing wires behind a system. Mercy !

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you use a spell checker/grammar checker it will catch then/than errors. Mine catches those errors every time. I get a dark line under the word, means it's wrong.

Rich

Nick likes this.
  14. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Had a APC UPS started squealing. Assumed it was the battery as that's typical and its about 10 years old. Got new battery, still made squealing noise. Checked red/black wires with VOM and no voltage there to charge the battery, like my other units. So its 12v circuit failed.

So they do go bad. Now I have an extra battery.