UPS: Protect Yourself From Voltage Dips, Spikes, Surges, and Outages.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Milominderbinder2, May 17, 2007.

1. May 17, 2007 #1 of 128
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    This article is designed only to provide a general overview and is offered without any guarantee. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Your TV and satellite receiver need surge suppression and a UPS battery backup.

The UPS should provide surge suppression as well as an Uninterpretable Power Supply. This battery-backup feature can protect you from power dips. This also gives you a few minutes to shut down your TV and receiver in the event of a power outage. A power dip or brief outage can ruin a recording and even leave a portion of your hard drive unusable.

The higher the V-A rating, the more maximum power it can output. Just as important is that the more V-A, the longer you have to get your TV shut down and the longer the receiver can still keep recording during an outage. Even a basic satellite receiver and a small LCD TV should have at least 500 V-A of battery backup. For a larger TV, consider 750 V-A or higher. Any additional electronics you plug in will reduce the time you will have to shut down the satellite receiver and TV.

Surge suppression absorbs some spikes and surges that can ruin recordings or even your receiver or TV. As a rule you need at least 500 Joules of surge suppression although 1000 Joules offers much better protection for not much more money.

For added surge suppression, plus a separate surge suppressor into one of the UPS's battery backed-up outlets and then plug the UPS into the wall outlet. Then plug your satellite receiver and TV into the surge suppressor like this:

TV/Satellite Receiver > Surge Suppressor > UPS > Wall Outlet

This gives you the UPS and it's surge suppression plus the separate surge suppressor. In addition, all outlets you use will be battery backed-up.

UPS batteries are heavy and must be connected internally before use. Also, the internal battery needs to be replaced every few years. Follow the manufacturer's instructions. Many will replace the entire UPS unit every few years. It is inexpensive protection.

Many prefer the APC line. Here is one for $59 that is 550 V-A and 470 Joules from Best Buy:

APC - 550 V-A Battery Back-Up System

And Fry's (the in-store price at Fry's is often less):

APC 550VA BATTERY BACKUP

To keep charged, this size of UPS draws about the same power as a three-way bulb.

How many problems blamed on satellite receivers are really due to not having decent UPS and Surge Protection?

- Craig

2. Oct 15, 2007 #2 of 128
    ChicagoTC

ChicagoTC Legend

Sep 13, 2007
    Please list what UPS you have, what you have connected to it and what kind of run time you expect in a power outage.

I currently have power conditioning/surge but I'm thinking about putting my HR20 and 56" DLP on a UPS.

I like this one at Newegg
    Cyberpower CP1500

3. Oct 15, 2007 #3 of 128
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am all APC units, 13 in total. The ones for the plasmas are 1100's. I do not expect them for usage after an outage. I use them for a pause period to softly shut off the equipment instead of abrubt power jumps. Mostly for power dips and spikes during the day (3 - 5 times a day) down here in FL.

4. Oct 16, 2007 #4 of 128
    flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I have no UPSes. I got rid of my last one (an APC) when it fried 3 power supplies in my computer in 12 months. Thus, it actually cost me far more in destroyed equipment that would have otherwise died if I didn't use it. And that's before the increased electrical bills.

If your power is truly unreliable, then maybe go for the UPS, to get you through the dips. But otherwise, seems like a mistake to me.

5. Oct 16, 2007 #5 of 128
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    All APC units here.

Several ... BE350R, BE500R, BE650R, BE725BB ... PC's, HR20's ... all work well.

6. Oct 16, 2007 #6 of 128
  7. Oct 16, 2007 #7 of 128
    edmo

edmo Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    APC 1200 here....very benficial during power sags and brief outages. Never clocked the runtime.

8. Oct 16, 2007 #8 of 128
    ChicagoTC

ChicagoTC Legend

Sep 13, 2007
    I'd really like this

Belkin PureAV 13 outlet

I have a monster power conditioner that I got a great deal on 2 yrs ago. Lots of folks on my home theater boards use these belkin units. This one is a power conditioner and 1500VA ups in one box.

Edit:

I just found this one, it has 8 surge protected outlets 6 on the UPS. This is enough outlets for all my gear and it's substantially cheaper

Belkin PureAV 8 outlet

9. Oct 16, 2007 #9 of 128
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I use all APC- SmartUPS 1500 in the living room, and a Back-UPS XS on the PC. I chose the SmartUPS as it is one of the few computer grade UPS's to give a pure sine wave output. Home theater equipment frequently doesn't like the stepped approximation to a sine wave lesser UPS's put out.

10. Oct 16, 2007 #10 of 128
    NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    Just make sure you avoid the two mistakes that I see a lot of people make:

1. These units ship with the battery disconnected. Make sure you hook the internal battery up. Despite all the big yellow stickers, I have seen people not hook up the battery.

2. There are usually both "Battery Backup" outlets and "Surge Only" outlets. Make sure you use the "Battery Backup" outlets.

And remember, the batteries in these things usually have a relatively short life span, sometimes only 2-3 years.

11. Oct 16, 2007 #11 of 128
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
  12. Oct 16, 2007 #12 of 128
    funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    I love APC UPS's but they can be a little on the pricey side for some people. For my Home Theater I have this Belkin unit

http://www.buy.com/prod/belkin-f6c1...er-or-horizontal-form/q/loc/101/10391960.html

I have 2 HR20's, my 50" Sony Rear Projection as well as a Home Theater PC connected to it and it is running at just about 50% capacity. As others have mentioned here I don't use this for run time I use this mostly for protection against power issues and the occasional brownouts that we suffer once in a while.

13. Oct 16, 2007 #13 of 128
    cgiannetto

cgiannetto AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    All APC's here too. I've got a Smart UPS 1500 in my HT rack (HR20, Pio 5040 plasma, Pio Elite DV59AVi DVD, Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver, Motorola cable modem, D-Link wireless router, D-Link/Vonage phone adaptor) and a Smart UPS 750 in the bedroom for another HR20 & Panasonic 37" plasma. Assorted other APC's (at least five) scattered about for the kids tv & computer equipment.

14. Oct 16, 2007 #14 of 128
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Sam's Club currently has a very nice power conditioning UPS by APC in the 1200 to 1500 VA range for 139 bucks. Nice LED display and intended for home theater operation.

I have one and like it...although my HT stuff is currently being run by 3 different 1200 watt APC UPS's, one dedicated to my Sammy 56" DLP, another for my HT Amp, and the third for everything else. I use the power conditioning ups in the basement with some of my computers and ham radio gear. Eventually, I'll switch some of them around.

...and the person who noted the short battery lifetime (2/3 years) is quite correct.

15. Oct 16, 2007 #15 of 128
    JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    APC SmartUPS 1500 for me, too. I used to use Belkins in my office (75 or so), and frequently they didn't meet the rated output, and seemed to last half as long as the APC in pure lifespan. Switched to all APC 6 years ago, and these have been real workhorses for me, especially in 2004 and 2005 when we had two/three hurricanes each year - they absorbed the iffy power put out by the generator here at the offices and allowed our computers to run nicely. My 1500 at home drives a 65" crt rear projection, a AV receiver\amp, an HR20, and a DVD player, and I get 30 minutes of usage at normal levels (no Star Wars at full volume...)

16. Oct 16, 2007 #16 of 128
    lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    I have an APC on my system. Here's the link. It always amazes me the number of times this thing turns on to keep the pwoer even. Money very well spent IMHO.

17. Oct 16, 2007 #17 of 128
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I have the Belkin 8 outlet and love it. I have my HR20, 52" LCoS TV, and my Wii (ran out on non-battery outlets) plugged into the battery backup outlets, and my receiver and DVD player plugged into the surge protection only outlets. I have gotten hours, maybe as many as 3 or 4, out of it running just the HR20.

If you don't need it in black, you can find it cheaper in silver. I paid about $130 for mine.

By the way, I also have an APC BE550R for my other HR20. It only lasts a few minutes, but since it isn't my main recording HR20, I didn't need more. Someday it will be replaced by another Belkin.

18. Oct 16, 2007 #18 of 128
    JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    That's a not so clever plan... If your APC did in fact fry 3 power supplies, it was a bad unit. APC will both replace the unit AND the equipment it fried (another good thing about APC). I have used APC units here at my office, in quantities approaching thousands, over the years, and I have had only 2 or 3 bad ones in all that time.

Increased electric bills ? Maybe, but only if pennies are of real concern.

If you had a bad APC

19. Oct 16, 2007 #19 of 128
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Living in T-Boomer alley, with more than a sprinkling of tornadoes, we get LOTS of "winkies"....my ups's go off/on for very short periods (less than a second) many times per week. If we have storms it is even more of a problem, and when we get blizzards or high winds, we will have winkies all during the high winds.

Operating a DLP TV or a DVR without a UPS is suicidal, or as our brethren across the pond say, "penny wise and pound foolish".

Last time I counted I had 6 downstairs (computers and ham radio gear), 4 upstairs in the media room (3 for Home Theater/1 for wireless laptop on credenza behind the couch where I'm typing this missive), one in the upstairs bedroom, and one in the wife's office in the upstairs loft. When the new HR20-700 shows up in early November, it will be time for another UPS at the north end of the house.

Obviously, when you get a UPS you get two for one: power outage/winkie protection and surge protection built in. All in all, great insurance and a good value for any of the home theater/satellite crowd. If you care at all about keeping your equipment in service, a UPS is essential, not a frill. I've seen the assertion, "My stuff is leased, what do I care"....rather short-sighted, because of the down time involved with your "free" replacement.

20. Oct 16, 2007 #20 of 128
    dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I have an APC BackUPS 1200 attached to my HR20. I have my Samsung HP-R4252 Plasma hooked up to the surge port on the BackUPS, but not the battery port. The Samsung draws 380W which is quite a bit. I can't find the specs on the HR20's power consumption, but the BackUPS is rated for 11.7 minutes of runtime @ 390 watts, and 3.4 minutes @ 780 watts.

I figure, so long as the HR20 doesn't spin down, I can live without the Plasma during an outage.

On my Macintoshes upstairs, I have both a SmartUPS 1000 and a SmartUPS 1500. The Power Mac G5's in particular have pretty beefy power requirements.