1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upset over a support call

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mndwalsh, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mndwalsh

mndwalsh Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    I have an HR-20 that has been acting up for about 3-4 months with 1 OTA tuner on 1 channel. Problem happens with my local NBC antenna channels 11.1 & 11.2 on 1 tuner cannot be watched (major pixelization). This is what I have done to trouble shoot the issue.

Plugged antenna direct to TV – no issues with cannel
    Restarted dvr numerous times.
    Left DVR unplugged for about 24 hours.
    Reset antenna setup – problem still exists.
    Reset DVR to factory – problems still exists.
    Reset antenna setup – problem still exists.
    Checked other receivers with AM21 OTA – no problem with channel

Again this is only a problem with 1 tuner and the only way I can duplicate is to start double play and go to 11.1. Yesterday I finally put a call in to support after 30 minutes of support trying to resolve, nothing. I was then transferred to the protection plan and they told me the only thing I can do is to have a tech come out. I asked for them to send me a replacement and not waste the time of a tech. The answer was still no, I then asked for a supervisor………..the answer was still we need to send out a tech to check cabling, multi switch and dish alignment. I told her this has nothing to do with mulitswitch as it is the antenna and the antenna works on the other 2 dvr’s I have. I just can’t believe that they would send a tech out to look at this for 1 second and say yep we need to replace your receiver. I was just trying to save them money and even asked if I could pay for shipping, answer was still no. I then asked if I can go buy a receiver and get a credit and she said I doubt it. Anyone else have another way around having a tech come out? I know the tech coming out is free but it just seems that it would be easier to send me a DVR.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    DirecTV's policy is to now send tech out for basically any kind of issue. While, some people can get a replacement receiver shipped to them, the majority, as you have experienced, have to have the tech come out to verify the issue is with the receiver.

One last trouble-shooting possibilty, have you swapped the HR20 with any of your other receivers to verify the issue moves with the receiver? That sometimes is enough to convince the CSR that the receiver in question is bad.

- Merg

3. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Apparently there aren't that many of us that use the OTA connection.

Seems ridiculous, but sometimes you have to go with the flow. Let DirecTV send out a tech.

I had one bad OTA tuner on my first HR20-700. DirecTV sent two techs, both of whom thought there was only one OTA tuner in the unit since there was only one OTA connector on the back. Eventually they plugged in a replacement unit and voila there were two OTA tuners available.

I won't go into the problems I had with DirecTV trying to charge me for the unreturned bad DVR, which the techs took with them.

Fortunately things have been much better in the past year or so.

4. mndwalsh

mndwalsh Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    I have not swapped receivers but I did tell them I did and the problem followed the receiver. Still no luck

5. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    I've had similiar experience. Long discussions asking for a replacement while they send me through all kinds of worthless troubleshooting steps.
    Me: "I plug it in, hear the disk rotating, but no lights on the front panel".
    Them: "Please plug the DVR in at another socket".

Probably costs them $20 round trip for a DVR relpacement. It has to cost way more than that to send a tech out.

6. mndwalsh

mndwalsh Legend

Nov 16, 2005

Agreed, as a tech myself if you get paid for the on-site it is worth it but they are paying the tech not me. I guess when most users don’t have a tech background it pays for an on-site but when I explained everything I did you would think they would have sent me a box.

7. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    I forgot to mention that the techs I've talked to in the past said that they weren't allowed to deviate from the troubleshooting script. I think it would serve both DirecTv (and their customers) better if they allowed techs to use their own judgment sometimes to solve issues. Maybe with a quick way to escalate.

Having said all of that I am grateful that the techs seem to be U.S. based, and they understand that even though it's mostly entertainment their customers take this stuff seriously. I remember some pleasant experiences too, when activating a new machine the tech stays on the phone during the whole reboot to make sure it comes up.

I hope you get your problem solved soon.

8. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    In othe words, mndwalsh, Let It Be.

:D

And I, too, have fought this fight and lost.

9. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    So, you flat out lied on doing any troubleshooting concerning your OTA connection and expect them to just ship out a box anyway?

How do you know that your getting enough signal for the station in question for the "bad" HR to get a good lock? Oh, thats right, by the information you posted, you don't. :nono2:

I wouldn't send you a box either.

10. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    It will also be a crapshoot on whether the tech will have an HR20 to suit your OTA needs/wants.

Good Luck!!

11. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    You're lucky you got as far as you did. My last conversation with a CSR about my HR20 OTA issues ended with them telling me I had to get a converter box and an "HD" antenna to get OTA.

12. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida

Go into the Menu SETUP, Sat and Antenna, Antenna Setup, Edit Off Air Channels, Signal Meter and look at signal strength on 11.1 and 11.2 OTA signals. Is it more than 60%? Tuner 1 and 2 should be within a few % of each other. If below 60, its too low for a good watchable signal.

If its above, even 90% but you see erratic readings such as 75%, then 90%, then 80%, you have a multipath problem. Thats too much signal or bad reflections for channel 11 around your location. Solution to that is different antenna, different antenna orientation.

13. Fabuloso

Fabuloso AllStar

Jun 13, 2009
    you also might have a bad splitter since the OP said he had OTA signals going to other receivers. i would let them send out a tech and let them crawl around to find the problem.

the OTA signal isnt diplexed into your DTV line right?
    you could do it pre KA/KU but not anymore :nono:

14. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I don't understand why I hear so much resistance to having a tech out. Isn't it just like having the box delivered via UPS? Except the delivery guy comes in and activates it for you? What an inconvenience! :rolleyes:

15. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    Agree, sometimes it makes sense.
    But the difference with a package is that it waits for you to come home from work instead of you staying home from work waiting for a tech.

16. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    The main problem is that you have to sit and wait for the tech, meaning time off from work for a lot of folks, many of whom really can't afford to be off of work for something like a replacement.

Also, my experience, in the few times that I've had a tech out is that I schedule a time (within a window) and rarely is the tech there during that time. I've had them come early, because they were running ahead, but more often they've come much later than the appointment window because of problems with a previous call.

So, if I can do it myself, I'd rather do it and not wait around for the tech.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It seems to come down to, there are about 18 million subscribers. There are maybe 18,000 subscribers, if that, who are capable of hooking things up properly for themselves. Most of those people hang around here. For 99% of people a service call is exactly what they want.

18. colts19

colts19 Mentor

Feb 1, 2007
    Having worked as a csr for directv at one time, I agree with what you say, however those people want the tech that day, not 3 to 10 day later. So once they find out they won't get someone that day, their proirties change.

I in know way claim to know everything but when I started as a csr, I had been a D* customer for 9 years had installed my own system and had moved and added on to that system. I was one of the first to get a tivo powered dvr and also a hd tivo when it came out. My point being that I had a lot of expierence with the D* system. Then I went to the training for csr's and had by far the highest scores in the class.

Where the problem lies is, once you start working the phones you cannot deviate for the script. All of your life expeirence means nothing. You can resolve peoples problems in half the time if you can just do what you know needs to be done, but you will get a bad report because you skipped a step. Needless to say, I couldn't do that. I quit because of that. I am not bad mouthing D*, I love D* and have had it for 11 years. I am just trying to make people understand that the CSR's are not dumb, that just have no choice.

19. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    only 18,000 people capable of plugging cables into a box? I don't think you are giving people enough credit. A DVR is no more difficult to hook up than an Xbox,Wii or DVD recorder and yet lots of regular consumers figure out how to hook all those devices up, now add in all the home theater receivers and such. Sure there are two extra coax cables that need to be plugged in for a sat DVR, but its no big deal and doesn't take a tech background to understand that.

And yes taking a day off work and having to sit around the house waiting for a tech to show up is not my idea of fun.

20. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I can understand why this policy exists. Back when things were looser, I'm sure there were reports at DirecTV of how many boxes were returned No Problem Found, and many reports of how major customer blow-ups ended up having a simple solution once it was discovered. Rather than dissect the good from the bad, a simple, blanket rule was established: all equipment swaps and installs have to be done by a tech, no matter how trivial. It's typical board room mentality, and in this case, I think the right one, no matter how frustrating it is to technically sophisticated people.