1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA Geography of Hate

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, May 16, 2013.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Hate Map

Geotagged Hateful Tweets in the United States

2. dhaze

dhaze Cool Member

Apr 23, 2012
    When you zoom in its funny to see how its really spread out vs. the original look of the map when you first click the link.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Looks to me like the survey was biased, both geographically and linguistically.

A phobia is fear of something, not always hate.

The tweets are described as homophobic tweets. "Homophobic" does not necessarily equate to "hateful".

1 person likes this.
  4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Nick -- it didn't show up the first time I went to the map, but on my second visit, there are pull-down 'tabs' across the top left for Homophobic, Racist and Disability.

And if you zoom out (does that even make sense (zoom out?)), you'll see a link in the bottom right: "Details About This Map" that provides how the data was collected.

5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Thank you for having the courage to post this.

"Homo" mean "the same".
    "Phobia" means, if you want to get technical about it, is a technical psychological term indicating a form of mental illness.

So "homophobia" is a psychological condition of fearing, twins?

It is insulting to call people that have political, religious, or social opinion different from one's own as "mentally ill".

Or even that they "hate" others.

6. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    It's interesting that most of the hate is east of the Mississippi. Why no religious category?

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Zoom in and one finds that a lot of the "hate" is focused in certain counties.
    The glitch of covering the eastern US all red on zoom out is just that ... a glitch.

The "heat maps" being based on the number of "hate" tweets compared to the overall number of tweets should be taken into account when reading the data. An area with more positive tweets could make it look like their area had less hate.

No ... homophobia is specific to a certain type of sameness. And "twins" was not one of the four terms that the study looked at for being used in a negative context to create the "homophobic" category.

I agree with Nick that phobia does not equate hatred ... and I'll take it one more step: homophobic does not necessarily express fear of homosexuals as much as it expresses dislike for them as a group. Especially when one creates a study looking for four words used in a negative way (as perceived by college students at a particular California school).

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The term homophobia was coined by George Weinberg and later used in a tabloid to describe heterosexual men who fear that others might think they are gay. Weinberg later wrote about it being psychological aversion to homosexuality. Dictionaries define homophobe as a person who hates or fears homosexual people.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just Googled it and found the same thing you did. Zoomed in on the map to NJ and was glad to see...not much.

Rich

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Maybe because most of the population is east of the Mississippi? The hate map and the lights of the US as seen from space look remarkably similar.
    [​IMG]

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Good observation. Also, interesting how the lights of the northeast corridor point directly toward Atlanta.

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Up to a point that is true. Most certainly you will have more tweets overall coming from areas of higher population density. Here is a population density map:

[​IMG]
    Compare it to the hate map county-by-county and what you find is that higher population density does not directly correspond to higher numbers of hate tweets. The Northeastern Seaboard and Southern California, for instance, are obvious on the density map, but they are not among the high hate tweet regions. When I really zoom in, I notice that tourist attraction areas have high hate tweets numbers. A good example is to look around the Kansas City area. The highest hate tweet area is around Branson, MO. The same holds true for the area around Sacramento, CA, where the highest hate tweet area is South Lake Tahoe. It's interesting, but I and a lot of older people don't tweet while my guess is that the tweets come more from people ages 12-39.

In other words, while it's interesting to note this map, I'm not sure what it means if anything.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The "hate" map is supposed to be adjusted based on the number of tweets from each area ... if that was done accurately one should be able to see it as a percentage of tweets that were hateful. In counties with few tweets one bad tweet would make a bigger impact than in counties with a lot of tweets.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    But like I say, I don't tweet but some "easily distracted" family members do. So I still don't know what it means.