Usage of the Meter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by Earl Bonovich, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    For those of you that got the meter.... please take a look at VOS's usage of it to try and troubleshoot a problem:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=123393

This is EXACTLY the purpose why you received the meter and how it should be used. And the type of feedback you should provide when using.

The SWM Meter... should prove if any one particular "drop" in your setup, will support an SWM receiver....

(Note: The H20 is "weird" for the lack of a better term, so it may have different issues... but the R16/HR2*/H2* where all designed with SWM planned for).

-------------

Proper useage of the tester:

-) Power the SWM-LNB (or SWM Module) first.
    -) Connect an Compatible SWM IRD (receiver) to the system. Power it up.
    -) Disconnect the IRD (this processes initilizes the SWM-LNB).
    -) You can then test all over the house to check to see the results with the tester

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I'm doing this on the fly and from memory, so I may miss something, but I did take notes while I did everything so I'd capture any anomalies.

I tested the SWMLine LNB prior to starting removal and replacement of the AT9 LNB and assembly. I did this by putting the 3 ft cable betwen the LNB and the PI and used another 3ft cable to the SWM Installation Meter (prior to connecting I tested the battery as instructed in on the accompaning document; A.O.K.). I powered the PI and ran the test and I received a good test for everything based on the documentation (I did not install an IRD prior to testing to reset it). I then did the install of the Slimline hardware and then the SWMLine LNB onto it using the existing AZ/EL mount and one of the four previously installed cabling. I then went into my basement run and connected the first of the four cables to the PI and used a 3ft cable from the PI to check continuity. Initially on this first cable I got the power light and LF lights only, so I had anticipated that perhaps one of the other cables was likely the right one, but as I went through swapping the cables none of the other ones would light any other lights except the power light. I then reattached the first one and recycled the power between installs, BTW, and reran the test and again got the Power light and LF Light. I waited 30 seconds-ish and retested and received all lights. As suggested by the documentation I reran the test several more times to check stability and it came up green everytime. Convinced that I had the right line, I removed the tester and inserted a 4-way splitter (40 MHz to 2150 MHz rated) and then attached the four cables which I had barreled to the oringial four runs from the original AT9 LNB. I then went into my media closet where I had previously powered down the two DVRs (HR20-700 and HR21-200). I removed the BBCs from all four lines, the proceeded to test each line and all returned green lights. I then attached one cable to the HR21 started it up and it acquired satellite signal the first try. Then I did the same on the HR20 but I had the wrong connection on the back (I couldn't see the connectors, so I was using feel-around and expected SWM label would be similar to HR21 with a left-to-right convention, but no) and swapped it to the right connector and restarted it and it aquired satellite signals. The extra two connections are meant for a H20-600 and a soon to be bought HR21P-200. I am leaving them uncapped (not terminated).

That about sums it up...I suppose I didn't do it as prescribed though it did work in my case. (?)

In this scenario I'd be interested to know if I was just lucky or is this a potential feature that was unexpected based on how I used it?

BTW, I plan on connecting the H20-600 next week. It has been sitting since I installed the HR21 for the field trials, so it may have other issues besides not have a good firmware load. ;)

3. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    BTW, next week I have drops to every room in the house. I will test all of them with this to see if they have good connections as well. I think my longest from the basement might be close to 75 ft, so that may be a challenge. :D

4. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...

On my install I followed the instructions that came with the PI and meter.

My install: dish to 1x3 splitter (4'). Three RG6quad runs to: 1 family room (60'), 2 Bedroom (70'), 3 garage (50'). PI installed ahead of an HR20-700 in bedroom (1'). Family room also has an HR20-700 (this one with a 750g eSATA external drive & network connection). Garage has yet to get its satellite receiver (not terminated).

All three runs tested "8 channel" (all lights).

5. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Earl, far be it from me to contridict you, but . . . it isn't clear from the two page SWM Meter Operation (Rev 1.2 (C) 2007) that the IRD is to be connected and powered up. (Sorry about my delay, I have a life and took a weekend vactation to the Lake of the Ozarks) I had to recall from last week why I didn't attach a receiver to the SWM LNB first and perhaps this is why. The first bullet says:
    [bullet]As descrived in the SWM Application Note, install the SWM Module and SMW DC Power Inserter.[/bullet]
    Based on this I assume it was meaning the DirecTV(R) SWM-ODU LNB Installation Manual for DirecTV Model SL5S. No where on there does it say power up an IRD. The bullet two says:
    [bullet]Disconnect ALL Satellite Receivers from the cable drops in the home and keep them disconnected untill all tests with the SWM Meter are complete. If any Satellite Receivers are connected to the SWM Module, DC Power Inserter or SWM Outlests, the SWM Meter may not provide an accurate result.[/bullet]
    . . .then the next bullet tells you to remove the PI for 30 seconds and on an on.

My point is, I was looking at your list on what to do above and was thinking I must have misread my literature because I never put the receivers onto the lines before I tested the SWM and lines withe SWM Installation Meter. Is this something that needs to be highlighted on the SWM Meter Operation Rev 1.2 sheet?

Also, I would also add testing the SWM-ODU LNB prior to doing the install since some of these folks may have to spend time 40 feet in the air and knowing before going up then coming back down to find that you have a bad SWM LNB would suck.

I relooked at my notes and as I wrote above is how it went down. Baring that the Power Light was also on during all tests, which I neglected to mention (but could have been inferred).

Thoughts?

6. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Update, I checked the rest of my connections throughout my house, which is 10 other cables to 10 other rooms, by replacing the room to be testing on the diagram below onto the 4-way splitter in my main run in the basement.

Attached Files:

7. Grampa George

Grampa George Legend

Nov 9, 2006
    I assume that the currently available signal meters aren't compatible with the SWMline. My question being when this dish becomes available through the regular channels what will the installers be using to align the dish. Is there a signal meter in the works for the SWMline?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.