1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Drive and TV2

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by moman19, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    I noticed that the USB Drive option is grayed out on TV 2. My 622 is set up in Dual mode and I tried to access a saved program on the USB drive for the first time last night. TV1 wasn't active at the time, nor was the USB Drive.
    No way to see the show other than first restoring it.

Is this the way it's supposed to work? If so, I must wonder why?

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    That's the way it works. Sorta like the OTA tuner isn't it.

3. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    Well, that's weak. I can live without the OTA tuner on TV2 because I have Dish locals and TV2 is SD anyway. But I fail to see the logic or technical reasons why TV2 cannot gain access to the external drive when it's idle. This should be no different than TV2 accessing a program that was recorded via TV1.

4. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    I suspect the difference is bandwidth. The data transfer rate on the internal HDD will be much faster than over a USB connection. If they allowed access by TV2 then they would have to build in safeguard logic to prevent you from playback of multiple programs at the same time. Everyone wanted the feature out long ago. Adding more complexity would have only slowed delivery more.

5. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    Sorry, but that's also weak. The 622 has no difficulty blocking me from writing to the USB device while it's already playing a program. IMHO, the logic to allow single-threaded operation REGARDLESS of which TV (1 or 2) is requesting progam material would be relatively simple. This sounds more like a "lazy programmer" issue.

6. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Sorry you think all my guesses are "weak" but afterall they are just guesses. No one will know the reasons behind their design except Dish. And they don't speak to us about such issues. So I guess I should have just stuck with my initial response. That's the way it works.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm sure at least part of the thought process here is that the TV2 user (in dual mode) is a remote user... and cannot connect or disconnect an external drive to the receiver. Probably didn't think it would be much of an issue for them not to see the external drive.

Also probably would require a lot more testing and would have delayed availability. I wonder how many people really run the receiver in dual mode anyway. I know it is designed for it, but I wonder what the ratio of dualmode to singlemode users is.

There are lots of little dual vs single mode lost features, at least in part due to conflict resolution of who to give the priority.. I would imagine, for instance, that the TV1 user in dual mode would expect to be able to use the external drive whenever he wants... and would want to be able to override the TV2 user... and that would be logical... so perhaps they just bypassed all that conflict resolution by just deciding TV2 was out of luck.

8. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    Well why don't you go work for Echostar then. Apparently they are missing out on an engineer with all the answers.

9. DanoP

DanoP Legend

Sep 28, 2006
    USB access works in single mode from TV2. I suppose you knew that since you specifically mention that you are running dual mode.

10. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    Brilliant response :nono2:

11. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    Yes, I knew that. It just seems like an oversight more than a bug. I also know I can restore the program back to the 622 and then view it. But that's a pain. It's just a shame that I cannot retire to the bedroom and watch a show I decided to archive. And yes, I know the program will be in SD.

'Nuff said.

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    50% in my home. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.