1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USC Washington 10/2

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by james2006, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Oct 2, 2010 #1 of 18
    james2006

james2006 Legend

Oct 11, 2004
    I am concerned that the west coast will be cheated out of this game on Directv, which is somewhat ironic given it is a matchup of two west coast teams.

Currently my guide is showing Oregon and Stanford on ABC, ESPN2 and ESPNa channel 211. Looking at the coverage maps it says that the west coast should get USC and Wash on ESPN 2. East coast cities are supposed to get the Oregon Stanford game on ESPN 2. What I can't figure out is, if directv is going to show Oregon and Stanford on ESPN2 why is ESPNa also showing Oregon Stanford on the 211? It seems to me this should be USC wash for those of us with Stanford Oregon on ABC.

If they do indeed show Stanford Oregon on ESPN2 and ESPNa I really hope they do the right thing and open up the game plan feed of the USC game on ch. 789. Something tells me this is not going to happen....

2. Oct 2, 2010 #2 of 18
    james2006

james2006 Legend

Oct 11, 2004
    never mind, the guide has been updated and now shows USC Washington on ESPN2. Disaster averted. Please delete this thread.

3. Oct 2, 2010 #3 of 18
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    As a Stanford grad, why would you want to watch USC? Washington I can understand, but USC? ;)

Go Cardinal!

4. Oct 2, 2010 #4 of 18
    bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    I'd much rather watch the Oregon game in HD than the Notre Dame game.

#8 vs #9 only in SD for me on 211.

Damn east coast location....LOL

5. Oct 2, 2010 #5 of 18
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    +1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

This sucks.

6. Oct 2, 2010 #6 of 18
    bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    SD looks terrible....how did I ever watch tv before.....:hurah:

7. Oct 2, 2010 #7 of 18
    Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    here in FL,they have the Notre Dame and Boston College on ABC. Washington and USC are on ESPN 2. I'd like to see Oregon and Stanford on ABC in HD instead of SD. Notre Dame and Boston College aren't even ranked.

8. Oct 2, 2010 #8 of 18
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    All I can say at halftime is what a game Stanford/Oregon has been so far! A 31-24 barnburner, I may have to be tied down to a chair for the second half. This is just too much fun.

And while I certainly hope Stanford wins, either team could. It will sure be a kick to get there.

The picture in HD is only a 7 out of 10, a little blurry and dull, but it's a hell of a lot better than the yawner in Alabama. That picture has motion artifacts and fuzziness all over the place. It's a 4 out of 10 at the best. As the Alabama game is on CBS and the Oregon/Stanford game is broadcast by ABC, where's Maruuk to tell me how 720p is fake HD? It isn't tonight.

9. Oct 2, 2010 #9 of 18
    cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Call me an idiot if the answer to this question is obvious.

The Mighty Big Ten Network can show 5 HD games at a time, but the WorldWide Leader in Sports" can't figure out a way to feed 2 or 3 ABC / ESPN games in HD?

And, as an aside, the Big Ten guys must be awesome negotiators if they can launch their own multi-channel network, while at the same time, forcing ABC / ESPN to guarantee HD on all their telecasts.

Second aside: Brent Musburger sounds the same in SD as he does in HD.

10. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yeah I don't understand it either. I'm wondering if has something to do with the 'mirror' since these games are really being shown on local ABC stations and then being mirrored to ESPN 2 HD or ESPN 2 SD on the alternate channel.

11. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    ABC / ESPN is offering all 3 games tonight in HD to various parts of the country.

D*, like other providers, have the abilty to receive, and therefore deliver all 3.

SInce ESPN charges over $4.00 per sub to all operators, could this possibly have more to do with ESPN trying to protect operators who don't have the same capacity as D*?

12. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    This was an ESPN issue, not a DirecTV issue.

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/news/2010/college-football-regional-map-oct-2-800-pm-games/

[​IMG]

13. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Ah, crap. Luck showed he's a sophomore tonight. Brent Mushbooger said the worst team in the NFL is getting ready to draft Andrew Luck. It's time to retire again, old man. Regarding eligability, he's still a sophomore. Luck has already said he's staying for four years to complete his architectural design major. Harbaugh is only in his fourth year as coach. We have a young, growing team. They will just get better.

Congratulations, Oregon.

14. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas

Apparently, you did not bother to read the question at the end of my post. I'm not surprised.

It accused ESPN, not your beloved, venerated, worshipped, and darling D* for allowing this issue to continue.

Sheesh, I take you off ignore for 36 hours, and now you go straight back.

15. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007

DirecTV, and every other provider, is at the mercy of ESPN in this case. It is not an issue with providers lacking in ability, ESPN lacks the ability to offer every game in HD at all times. Shocking for a network like ESPN.

This is the portion of your post I was responding to. This portion of your post is incorrect. I simply told you it was an ESPN issue, not a DirecTV issue. If you understood the way ESPN handles their regional college football coverage, you would know that. I happened to have been looking into during the past week and I had read some about it in the past. I simply provided you with a link to a source explaining a portion of the situation, in a non-confrontational manner. I could have called you out and made a spectacular of it. I didn't. I saw no reason to. Lots of people have been confused about this today. You made a statement. I assumed it was because you didn't have the info. I provided the info. End of story...or so I thought. I have no idea who you are.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't think you understand his post. He is saying that Directv has the ability to get all these games in HD, so its not at their end of the line that the issue is originating (not a capacity issue on their end at all), hence reinforcing the point you all agree upon.

17. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Hoosier,

Thanks for your - mostly - incomprehensible reply, especially the second half.

Here's a question.

Was D* able to provide all 3 ABC / ESPN offerings tonight in HD?

I had the Notre Dame v. BC game, and the USC v. Washington game in HD.

I know for a fact the Stanford v. Oregon game was available to much of the country in HD.

So, back to my point, D* received all 3 games in HD, and retransmitted them in HD, albeit regionally.

Your point: "ESPN lacks the ability to offer every game in HD at all times" is just not true. Opening 211-1 would have been just as simple as opening 211.

So, who is really responsible for the inability - or lack of desire - to transmit tonight's 3 HD feeds nationally?

As I said, I'm guessing it's ESPN, not D*. Their cable operators, paying over $4.00 per sub would scream if a satellite company had additional programming they are not capable of providing.

But the "Reverse Mirror" argument makes less sense every day.

You really should read the posts before you think the entire world is against you.

Edit: Just to be clear, you took issue with my statement:

<<<D*, like other providers, have the abilty to receive, and therefore deliver all 3.>>>

I said the D* had the "ability". I did not say they had the "right".

18. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ESPN is at fault. Regardless of who is or is not capable of providing/displaying/broadcasting/transmitting/(whatevering)...ESPN has their own precious rules about where games will be shown and in what format. It's beyond ridiculous in 2010. Yes, I may have misunderstood the point of your initial post. My apologies.

Regardless, I think my first post to you in this thread was pretty simple and extremely non-confrontational. While I may have misunderstood the post I was responding too...I only responding with a short, simple sentence and a link to information I thought would explain the situation. Your post...your response...to that seemed to be completely uncalled for.

To go from this:

To this:

Then finally to this:

...seemed a bit extreme and uncalled for.

Yes, the second half of my previous post was hard to understand. I have not been drinking. That would have been a good excuse. I blame lack of sleep, yes...that's it...lack of sleep. Oops.

Also, when I read "ability" and "deliver" ...it doesn't sound the same to me as what you may have intended. To me, DirecTV doesn't have the "ability" to "deliver" when ESPN has their own rules for how that works. Know what I mean? A misunderstanding.