1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use IR and RF remotes on HR23?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by William1, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jan 2, 2013 #1 of 16
    William1

William1 Mentor

May 11, 2009
    I have a HR23-700 in an electronics closet. The output is split to go to a living room and the kitchen. Works great. In the living room is an IR 'eye' connected to the CAT6 wring that feeds the wiring closet, flooding it to operate all the 'stuff' in there. Thing is, there is no way to control the setup from the kitchen. We'd like to be able to simply change channels. In that end, it would be great if... we could use a Directv RF remote in the kitchen and use the Sony AX-3000 IR in the living room.

So the big question is, can the HR-23 receive both IR and RF to control (different remotes of course) it at once? I seem to recall this being possible (though it might of been for an older unit) and search did not give me a definitive answer.

I saw threads that state 'No' for an HR20 and 'No' for an HR24. But I could of sworn I saw it was possible for a HR23.....

2. Jan 2, 2013 #2 of 16
    Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Sorry - No... The HR20 when it was first released could do both but this ability was taken away years ago.

3. Jan 2, 2013 #3 of 16
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It was the R15 that could use both IR and RF, and still can, not the HR20.

4. Jan 2, 2013 #4 of 16
    William1

William1 Mentor

May 11, 2009
    Thanks guys. I knew there was one at one time but age/memory catches up with a guy. I'll have to consider the other solutions I have seen about. It was really a 'it would be nice if...'

5. Jan 2, 2013 #5 of 16
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You could pick up a Harmony 900. It's RF between the remote and the "IR Blasters" that you put near your gear. It's what I use and has good range.

6. Jan 2, 2013 #6 of 16
  7. Jan 2, 2013 #7 of 16
    Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    The THR22 tivo HD dvr accepts both IR & RF remotes at the same time.

8. Jan 2, 2013 #8 of 16
    Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Sorry - thought multiple people told me that it 'used' to work when I was wondering why such a simple thing was 'over-looked'. I had no idea because with Dish Network they work simultaneously just as it does with the THR22. It's obviously not a hardware limitation but a software limitation.

Have I mentioned issues with the DirecTV engineering department before?:lol:

9. Jan 3, 2013 #9 of 16
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
  10. William1

William1 Mentor

May 11, 2009
    Yeah, thought of that, as well as a simple IR extender. Part of my goal is to KISS. Trying to cut down on 'rigging' stuff. So far, the Harmony 900 and 1100 are the best solution but too pricey to justify.
    I could possibly... install a second IR detector in the kitchen (there are more free CAT6 ports available behind the TV) though I am no sure if the IR blaster will handle having two detectors.

The shame here is, both TVs are Samsung. I can operate the living room TV from the kitchen with the Samsung remote. But, the IR detector built into the furniture cabinet does not have a wide enough field of detection and they do not seem to be very sensitive (I have to aim within a 20 degree field with a remote that emits a strong signal).

11. hjones4841

hjones4841 Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    My experience with IR extenders is that they don't cope with LCD TVs or CFLs in the same room. The fluorescent light floods the IR pickup, rendering it incapable of transmitting the correct commands to the other room. A constant indicating LED on the repeater is a good indication this is happening. CFL resistant or plasma resistant wired extenders are available, but they are relatively expensive. A RF remote is the best bet.

12. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    It did for a couple of weeks when the HR20 was first released. If you blinked, you probably missed it.

As for the OP's issue, besides those solutions already mentioned (NextGen, IR repeaters, Harmony), here are a few more:

- URC RFS20 ($75)
    - Xsight Touch ($150) (native DirecTV RF control, no IR required)

IR over cat6 should also work fine.

13. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Thanks mdavej - I could have sworn that was what I was told by multiple people but I think RunnerFL isn't going to buy it.

The solutions you suggest will work - it's just too bad they allow RF/IR simultaneously... That would be the best option. If Tivo and Dish Network software engineers can do it I suspect that DirecTV engineers can do it.

Maybe DirecTV doesn't want RF/IR because it makes it easier to use one receiver in two locations and that costs DirecTV money.

14. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hand that man a cigar! :)

15. William1

William1 Mentor

May 11, 2009
    Ya mean Directv does not want me doing what I want to do????:lol:

I was happy finally splitting the HDMI and not getting the '...use componet cables...HBO' nag or a pink screen. The lack of changing channel ability is not a big deal, just a 'would be nice if...'

16. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    If you have an android phone, WIFI and your DVR is on your network, there is an app to control your DVR. I use this free app that actually finds your DVR's and adds the IP automatically. Works great!