Used Uverse for 3 weeks...thinking of trying Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by maverick22, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1 of 12
    maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Other than the fact of HD streams slowing down my Internet speed, Uverse has been fine. The PQ is not as great as DirecTV, but it is still pretty good. The guide/DVR software responds well. I have only had 2 short "hiccups" with the picture freezing.

The slowing down of my Internet due to watching HD/recording HD with Uverse is bothering me though. I'm trying to decide if I should cancel Uverse while I'm still in a 30-day trial, or just leave it active & get Dish installed also so I can compare.

my cocnerns with Dish:

1) Does Dish have better PQ than Uverse? I've heard many people on this site say Direct is better, but I would hope Dish has better PQ than Uverse.

2) If I'm not satisfied while the tech is there can I "back out"? The rep I spoke with over the phone at Dish said I can as long as I "back out" before I sign the contract.

3) I've read many posts on this site saying that Dish goes out more than Direct during rain

4) Is the software sluggish (guide, DVR, etc)?

5) problems with receivers? freezes in live programming or anything?

6) thinking of Hopper and Super Joey--so with PTA ON, I will get 4 tuners (1 of which for PT), and Super Joey gives 2 extra (basically 5)?

7) Does the Sling really work anywhere with wifi? Does it work well?

Any input is appreciated!!

2. Jan 8, 2015 #2 of 12
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Picture quality is a very subjective thing. I haven't had U-Verse TV or DirecTV so I can't compare. This forum has posts from people who have had Dish and one of the other services... some people think Dish is better or the same, others think DirecTV is better. DirecTV might be better, but I haven't seen any major complaints about the Dish HD picture quality that is specific to Dish.

People talk about "rain fade"... but I never see that with my setup. I see "black cloud fade" when dark clouds are directly in the path... and DirecTV would have that problem too. Most cases of "rain fade" are due to people who just don't have their satellite dish properly aligned/peaked for the best signal.

All receivers from all companies have bugs from time to time. I don't see overwhelming bug reports from customers of any service really. Sure, there are problems... some major ones from time to time... but either most customers are fine or they aren't complaining about it in a way that stands out.

The Hopper has 3 SAT tuners, and can have an optional OTA USB-addon for 1 OTA tuner. The Super Joey has 2 SAT tuners. Your "big four" ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC LiLs can be viewed at any time of day (24/7) on a single tuner... so IF you partake of that a lot... you have capability to watch/record those 4 channels on 1 tuner, and still have 4 more SAT tuners to use as you please.

Sling within your home uses your home network... so whether WiFi or wired shouldn't matter. When you are outside your home and Slinging to the content of your DVR, you will be more dependent on your home UPload speed than the download speed of wherever you are using WiFi. So you might be on a 10 Mbps WiFi download but if your home internet connection only allows 2Mbps upload then that's the maximum you will get on your Sling connection outside the home.

3. Jan 8, 2015 #3 of 12
    maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Never had a problem with "cloud fade" when I had Direct. This kind of worries me to hear about that.

Oh man, I had no idea the Sling worked off upload speed. Gee, I bet my upload speed is only 1mbps. Should I expect
    crappy performance then if my guess is correct?

Thank you for the lengthy reply.

4. Jan 8, 2015 #4 of 12
    DN2014

DN2014 New Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Midwest USA
    Does the Sling really work anywhere with wifi? Does it work well?
    I have tried it in different states, IA NE IN
    If I can't get HD sometimes, but I think it is the wifi on my end.
    I don't have a very fast wifi at home

5. Jan 8, 2015 #5 of 12
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You're welcome.

I can't believe you never had cloud fade, though. A dark black storm cloud between you and the satellite in orbit plays havoc not only with reception but also on the uplink end every once in a while. The better your setup the rarer it is... but unless you only had DirecTV for a year, I can't believe you didn't experience some loss of signal at some time. If your setup is good, though, storms usually move through fast and you aren't down for long. Also, you might not be down on all SAT locations. I have been able to watch some channels but not others, for example.

Sling outside your home has to work off your upload speed... otherwise how does it get outside your home? :) Many ISPs have the upload way lower than download speeds because for most things you are sending quick requests for data and then downloading... but this is reversed when you are out of your home and want to access your Sling inside the home.

I wouldn't expect HD quality from 1-1.5Mbps upload, but depending on what kind of device you are watching from it might be passable SD quality... You want at least 3Mbps, but 5Mbps would probably be optimal. Of course the download speed wherever you are connected to WiFi needs to then be able to keep up with that... but usually the bottleneck is going to be the connection from your home.

6. Jan 9, 2015 #6 of 12
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Cancel it now! I had lots of problems. It was out for 14 hours, so we canceled it & went back to Dish.That was in 2011.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jan 9, 2015 #7 of 12
    Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I haven't had Uverse, but have had DirecTV, Dish and FiOS. I went from FiOS, which many to consider to have the best PQ, back to Dish and found the PQ on Dish to be perfectly acceptable. I loved the Hopper. I only used Sling with my iPad on my home network but it worked great.

Nowadays I'm a cord cutter (for financial reasons).

8. Jan 9, 2015 #8 of 12
    david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Another feature hinted at but not really mentioned is that you can transfer programs directly to a tablet for viewing OFFLINE. Many people enjoy this for travelling when a wifi connection or cell service is not always available.

9. Jan 9, 2015 #9 of 12
    Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I believe this is only true of the Hopper with Sling and not the 1st generation Hopper with Sling adapter though, correct?

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Correct. The original Hopper does not support the transfer of content to a mobile device even with the Sling adapter added. You must have the Hopper w/ Sling to do it.

11. Strog

Strog Mentor

Dec 20, 2011
    I moved from Direct TV to Dish about 3 months ago. As far as PQ goes I can't tell the difference. When it comes to the rain/cloud fade like other posters said both are prone to strong storms, I don't see any issues with normal to heavy rain but lighting is another story and I maybe see that 2-3 times a year so its not a big deal for me.

Now as far as equipment goes Hopper with the sling has an edge, big one for me. I have cable internet 20/5 and have no issues watching in HD on Nexus 5 or tablet over LTE network. Same goes for laptops as long as I have a decent download speed in places I go to. This is a reason I moved to Dish, ability to stream all channels/recordings from my DVR.

An added bonus is a wireless Joey, it enabled me to cut one box and I just move it between 2 TVs if needed since they are not used that often for live TV watching. And if needed I can use Apple TV to stream using sling and mobile device. Picture quality is excellent on home network as long as you have a decent setup. HD stream requires about 8-9 Mbs on your home network.

I have a Hopper with sling, Super Joey and wireless Joey so that matches the 5 tuners I had with Genie HR34 and 3 wired clients.

12. Papa J

Papa J Legend

Nov 26, 2007
    I went to Dish from Directv a few months ago. I'm very pleased because the equipment is so much better. I especially like the Sling capability which works anywhere. You can watch any of your channels plus anything on your DVR. One word of caution. There is no trial period with Dish, regardless of what a sales person may tell you.