User install of Genie HR54 to replace HR24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tecsi, Nov 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tecsi

tecsi New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    DIrecTV tells me I should be able to replace my HR24 with a Genie HR54 without changing my dish or wiring. But when we tried to order the Genie, they said it had to be installed by a DirecTV technician. They couldn't explain why.

I currently have multiple HR24s connected to a switch and an early HD dish. Can I in fact simply swap the HR54/HR24 units, or does the Genie require something else to work? DirecTV could not explain after 59 minutes on a call!

Thanks.

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Depending on what switch or LNB you have it may not work due to the extra tuners.
    Also HR54's should have reverse band LNB's so I wouldn't fight the process to have it done with a trained tech.

1 person likes this.
  3. tecsi

tecsi New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Thanks. What are reverse band LMBs?

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    First, the HR54 requires an SWM setup. My guess is yours is not SWM. If it's the older design HD dish (the "sidecar")that can't use the SWM LNB so they will need to replace it. Second, the dish and LNB to be installed will depend on the total number of tuners you have. How many of your existing DVRs are you going to keep?

5. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    When I had called to upgrade, they told me that the system will not let them order a self install. That turned out ok, because I got the new RB LNB.

However if your existing dish is mounted on the roof, you better let them know, as some have said they can't/won't climb on the roofs anymore. Or need two people to do the job and had to reschedule..

6. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    New LNBs with additional capability for 4K in the next year or two. Current LNB's can't support the extra capability when 4K is on more channels.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Depends on what STBs you are using in your home. Most home systems are limited to 8-tuners. You want to swap a 2-tuner with a 5-tuner STB. So you need to count all the tuners in your current DirecTV network.

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    To maybe help you figure out what you have right now, the older HD dish technology (referred to as Multiswitch) had up to four coax cables coming from the dish. If your system had four or fewer tuners, then one coax went to each tuner (a DVR has two tuners, a receiver has one tuner). If you had more than four tuners, then a separate device called a multiswitch would take the four coax from the dish as inputs, and would provide up to either 8 or 16 outputs. Again, each tuner would have a coax going back to this multiswitch.

A newer technology called SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch), has only one coax coming from the dish, and this coax can actually go through a splitter. The SWM LNB in the dish can feed up to 8 tuners. There are newer models of SWM LNBs that can feed up to 13 tuners.

The very latest LNB is the reverse band LNB which can support up to 13 tuners.

If you press the dash button on your remote while watching your TV, a window will open on the screen. If you have an SWM LNB, it will tell you "SWiM Connected". That's probably the easiest way to determine if your existing system is SWM or not.

All Genies (HR34, HR44, HR54) require an SWM system. They are not compatible at all with the older "multiswitch" technology.

The HR54 is the only Genie that is capable of supporting 4K broadcasts, but it requires the newest reverse band LNB. For 4K you also need a separate client, the C61K, for your 4K television.

Normally, DirecTV will require an installer for any Genie, but especially for the HR54 because of the RB-LNB requirement.

1 person likes this.
  9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    eventually a reverse band LNB will be required for 4K but for what is available right now any LNB will do. Even a legacy LNB paired with a SWM switch will suffice.

DIRECTV requires a reverse band LNB only of 4K upgrades and not on HR54 swaps like on a service call when replacing genie where the tech only had 54s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk