Using 4K Televisions Primarily for Upscaling Lower Resolutions

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by 1953, Jan 23, 2018.

1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    4K television owners.
    Other than the current 4K DVD's and other limited 4K media how are you liking your 4K's upscaling ability?

BTW, I have sincerely considered purchasing of a LG C7P OLED 4K HDR Smart TV - 65" Class but since it's use would primarily be for upscaling I am not convinced it is worth the cost.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    My folks have two 4K tvs and watch almost nothing that is a 4K source. They both are far superior to what where 1080p sets with the same content. Absolutely worth it. No way I’d buy a new tv that wasn’t 4K and hdr today. I watch a lot of Saturday college football there and the 4K tv is amazing for sports especially.

But my question to you is do you need a new tv? Either for your main tv or a secondary location? And how often do you buy new tvs in general? If you are happy with what you have an argument can be made to possibly wait about a year for the next generation as it may have more features that you’ll want down the line eventually. (HFR and more hdr options and hdmi 2.1 etc) however, I do not believe those th8ngs are worth waiting fo them if you are having issues with your current tv now, or if you have multiple tvs in the house. Cause once you get one 4K, you’ll want to have all 4K tvs sooner than you think. So in a year or two maybe you’d move the tv you buy today to the secondary location and buy the newest out then for the main one.

3. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    There are no current issues. My LG OLED C7 want is entirely based upon pure vanity. Logic will win the day. Just ask my wife.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They key is to give her the second best tv in the house every time you upgrade to keep her happy! :)

1953 likes this.
  5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I love my "Cheap" 4k TV. It does an excellent job of upscaling. Best picture by far that I have ever had.
    Being the tighwad that I am I would never spend as much as you are looking at for a TV. Over the years I have limited myself to about $1,200 for a TV. My last one, the 4k Samsung was on sale for $749 at Best Buy.

Go to Best Buy and look at them. Only you can decide if it is worth the money you are talking about spending.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    JimmyKat and 1953 like this.
  6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yeah ... best TV is that one for less then a magic number, $1000 !

1953 likes this.
  7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's worth it. You're gonna have to get one to really appreciate the upscaling, I tried looking at them in stores, that told me little, you have to watch one for a few days. As Inky said, once you get one, you won't stop. By next week our 3rd and 4th 4K set will be installed. All my plasmas, except for one 1080p 42" set which still has a more than decent picture, need to be replaced. As I've said before, I don't think you can beat a Samsung when it comes to "most bang for the buck".

Rich

1953 likes this.
  8. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Mine's a C6 (2016 - 'cause I "needed" 3D).

I have found that its "upconverting" of DirecTV signals is a mixed bag. IOW, good pictures look really good, but lesser-quality HD can look annoyingly bad - the flaws are "enhanced."

The bad was the first "striking" thing noted. However, playing my first UHD BD was the second, more striking experience and far outweighed the first (in a good way, of course).

I was gonna add that it does do a fairly decent job on 1080p (out of the FireTV box) and how great standard BD looks, but then remembered that my UHD player actually does the upconverting of the BD. (Great for BDs, but lousy for DVDs - set player to 720p or 1080i, and let the TV take it the rest of the way.)

Overall, I'm pleased with it, but I do wish someone would come out with a suite of UHD Channels! (Like a Travel Channel, and maybe an HBO or two.)

1953 likes this.
  9. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Yours is the first truly detailed response. We sincerely thank you. It has been an uphill battle to convince my wife about the advantages to buy a C7P. Now I am sure it would be a bad move. In fact, considering the many history type, varied and older BBC shows we watch the C7P would be a downgrade except for BR & 4K disc movies. The lack of 4K content on DTV is why upscaling was so important. Our LG OLED EG559100 HDTV is possible the best HDTV. I will wait until 4K media is readily available. Again, thank you and enjoy your C6.

Delroy E Walleye likes this.
  10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I use a couple Samsung BD players that upscale the BDs and DVDs to 2160p, bought them on a whim, didn't even know what I was buying. Boy oh boy, do those BDs look good and the DVDs...don't. And I have tried a 1080p BD player with a DVD on a 4K set and the same thing happened, it looked awful.

Rich

1953 and Delroy E Walleye like this.
  11. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yeah, get a good TV if you need a replacement. But I can't recommend it strictly for the upconverting of D* pictures. (I know others have varying experiences with this, mostly positive I believe.)

In my case I had several reasons to "pull the trigger" earlier (including the discontinuation of 3D).

I can't imagine the tech not continually improving over time along with hopefully decreasing pricing.

1953 likes this.
  12. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yeah, I think I found out quickly that UHD TVs aren't really meant for watching SD!

DVDs always looked good on the old CRTs (SD or HD). I've still got one HD in use and even D* SD is watchable on it!

1953 likes this.
  13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It depends on the source material used with SD. I have some DVDs that look like crap on my Sony XBR-55X900C while others look damn good.

1953 likes this.
  14. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I can get away with playing DVDs I've recorded from HD sources using component out from the recorder with its PS turned off.

But it seems certain "otherwise properly-mastered" commercial DVDs just look like crap when I play them on the UHD player.

(I'll admit I haven't tried a lot of them.)

1953 likes this.
  15. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Thanks everyone.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Next time you play one, look at the resolution / ratio for the screen , etc. I would guess that the ones made for widescreen look the best.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think a "good" TV is one with a good refresh rate. That should be the first thing folks look for in the search for a new TV. Just keep in mind the sets with the good RRs are more expensive, but they're worth the money.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did they really look that good on the CRTs or did we have no idea what "better" looked like? I have no CRT sets, can't make that comparison. I know this: I have no urge to watch anything on my 720p plasmas, they just look dismal compared to the 4K sets and my 1080p plasmas. Even the TCL 1080p set I just bought for Sadie blows the 720p plasmas away, PQ-wise. And that only cost ~ $250.

Now I'm wondering if anybody here has compared a DVD on a CRT and a 4K set...anyone??

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Open Range was more than decent the last time I got a DVD of it from NF. Aside from that one DVD I can't think of another, but I gave up on DVDs. One of these days we'll get rid of the last rack of DVDs we have downstairs, must be fifty or a hundred of them on that rack and they haven't been touched in years.

I have a feeling NF is never gonna rent out UHD discs. Upsets me. I want the UHD player.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I did. Kept thinking I was getting crappy discs. Then, an epiphany! It dawned on me that DVDs are never gonna give me the PQ I want consistently and I gave up on them. Donated bins and bins of DVDs to a church. They never made it to the church, the woman that took them from me kept them.

Rich