Using a unactivated HRxx on whole home?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dclarke, Jun 3, 2011.

1. dclarke

dclarke AllStar

Sep 20, 2007
    Just curious, I have an HR20 with a ton on movies on it and it is unactivated. Is there anyway to get the whole home network to recognize it and share it contents with paying for it to be activated (I already pay for 5) thankks

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Nope .. You'll have to pay for the older one at least long enough to watch the movies.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    DirecTV DVRs are essentially boat anchors without an active satellite connection and activated subscription.

4. dclarke

dclarke AllStar

Sep 20, 2007
    I kinda figured that I just thought that maybe with a deca adapter hooked to it it might show up on the network as a local device

5. dclarke

dclarke AllStar

Sep 20, 2007
    I do like the "boat anchor" analogy given the fact that it is an HR20 (although it served us well)

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    In order to get Whole Home DVR to work you would most likley have to refresh services/resend authorization to the DVR. You can't do that to a receiver that isn't active on your account.

Like the other guys said, if you want to watch the recordings just add the box back to your account long enough to watch and delete them, and then remove it again. As long as it is an owned unit you can activate/deactivate it at will. If it's not an owned unit you probably should have already sent it back to DirecTV.

7. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Interesting comment. I have two HR20s which I prefer to my HR21. Seems faster and with OTA built in.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Newer or higher number=better is quite common.

9. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Not in this instance. Higher number doesn't necessarily indicate better...just different.