1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using DirecTV just for Sunday Ticket??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shaner2000, Dec 30, 2012.

1. shaner2000

shaner2000 Cool Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Forgive me if there's a thread on this somewhere...searched but couldn't find one.

I'm sure I'm one of thousands that primarily subscribe to DirecTV just for Sunday Ticket. If I had my preference, I'd probably use the local UVerse or FiOS service.

So, I'm wondering...is it possible and/or do any of you subscribe to DirecTV just during football season...and then cancel or suspend service for the other 8 months of the year? Possibly using a different service or OTA + Roku the other months?

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Not possible. Whenever you sign up you agree to a 2 year commitment.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    He can suspend for 6 months, even under contract. The contract time just freezes along with service.

4. shaner2000

shaner2000 Cool Member

Sep 9, 2006
    A couple of quick additional comments:

Good call about completely canceling. Can't sign up as a new service without 2 year contract. Understood.

Probably a better question would be can you suspend service for 6-8 months? I did read somewhere in the meantime that you can suspend service for 6 months, but that they won't let you do that every year. Is that correct?

Another thing...I know you can get Sunday Ticket with the PS3...but as far as I know you can't record or watch archived games that way...And my wife is actually the one who wants ST (to watch her beloved Packers), and she often works Sundays...

Also...I'm long out of contract.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The Wife wants it -If she contributes to the "family"Income or not -She Gets it No matter what the cost- Am I right?

Also If your long out of contract "what should it matter" New Subs (returning) Are treated with all kinds of goodies at the expense of long time subs. Your not going anywhere the ToTal NFL isn't offered- SO It's A Win -Win.

6. shaner2000

shaner2000 Cool Member

Sep 9, 2006
    point 1 - probably true

point 2 - i assume you mean it's a win-win for directv?

as far as ST goes...i figure $300 is considerably less than season tickets...so...i'm not too worried about that...and you're right if she wants it she gets it :)...but the $105 per month bill is what i'm trying to improve...

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    WIN-WIN for U and Your Wife- You can get the basic Tv Package _ (u could keep cable) - or what ever service U have now as well.

Also Jsut FYI They will changing the NFL ticket offering -Different combo Packages -it will cost per month $39 -$ 49- $59 depending on what services you pick.

I suggest u schedule a install around August of 2013 - then Suspend Jan 1 2014 for 6 months and so on.

$105 to day is a $114 next year what ever package you have-Fed money printing increase

8. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    I've been to a few homes that just did NFLST plus a base package during the season. The accounts were old, the equipment was owned.

Another option might be a commercial account. There is no lease, the equipment is owned. I'm not sure what the rules are for turning programming off and on.

9. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Yes, possible..you want the "purchase option" when signing up..typically, this is not advertised..the sales person may not even be familiar with it..it is month-to-month, no contract, no credit check..on the other hand, you pay regular prices, no promos at all..in addition, must purchase equipment (it is then yours to sell, which is esp good if the receiver is not needed)..2 receivers at point-of-sale, no other options (depending on receivers, could be approx $149 to $399..and limited options)..you can purchase more later. Install charge is approx $99 and $49 for activation.

Then go ahead and pay for the NFLST, watch it from Sept-Dec/Jan..and turn off the service..however, you may find the annual cost difference compared to promo deal is about a wash, even if you cancel after a year and pay $20/mth cxl fee.

For many customers, this is exactly what they want..(but not for NFLST)..I'd guess less than 1/10% of all customers do this, but that still means about 3000-5000 customers out there who enjoy it this way. Mostly snowbirds and vacation home owners..call 800-531-5000 and inquire, then sign up with support rep. :)

Good luck!

-=K=-

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I know a few people who have DirecTV just for ST. They have the DirecTV service on a minimal package with HD for 6 months from August to January and suspend it the rest of the time. By doing this your 2 year commitment will turn into 4 years, however, considering they want ST every year, it's not a big deal for them.

- Merg

11. shaner2000

shaner2000 Cool Member

Sep 9, 2006
    interesting. thought you could only suspend service once. good to know.

i guess i wasn't clear...i'm a current subscriber that has long ago fulfilled the 2-year commitment. Just trying to find ways to cut costs and keep ST.

12. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I have also saw multiple account with just NFLST but im not sure they allow it anymore. You can get it on PS3 for sure though without an account.

13. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    --
    You can suspend service for 6 months out of a 12 month period. So you can suspend it for 6 months in Jan, for example, it comes back on in June and you would have to pay for services until Jan of the following year, in which you can suspend for 6 months again.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    While I suspect a package containing just locals and NFL Sunday Ticket would be interesting, we won't see it.

15. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    More than a decade ago you could do it. Back then when hardware costs were lower, SAC costs lower, etc. Today it would make no sense unless a customer was willing to sign a 5 year commitment which is a high hurdle. Otherwise the investment in all the equipment, labor, installation would not be paid back if a customer left prior to 5 years.

16. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    I thought there was a way to get ST on your computer or PS3 through the internet. Is that not an option anymore?

17. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    But what would cost more directv giving up there exclusive to it or letting people get a ST only pack??

Now is there any kind of plan if say a court says they must offer sunday ticket with a basic pack that is on the same level a limited basic cable price? or says that directv must offer ST on it's own with no being forced to buy any other pack?

Forced to offer a online pack with no rules saying only if you can't get directv?

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That makes sense.

Then again, if they offered a hardware & install package up front for a fixed fee, and then the rest as a package...maybe they could get the math to work somehow.

I suspect there would be enough demand/volume to make it at least somewhat popular....some non-DirecTV customers might even get that as a supplement to what they have with another carrier, for example. :shrug: