1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using DTV credentials on streaming apps

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 1948GG, May 13, 2018.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    In case folks don't realize it, most (all?) Streaming apps of the popular channels have tons more programming available to stream than that listed in/on the DTV system. I utilize both my smartphone and multiple roku boxes to access both basic and premium channel apps.

However, in the last few months the amount of time one has to reauthorize access (using ones DTV credentials) has shortened significantly, to the point that many (my biggest gripe is hbogo which is down to under a week between nessesary hoop jumping) but most of the basic channels are down to 2-3 weeks. I'll mention Showtime for excessive hoop jumping as requiring one to install the phone app to get the roku app to work/authorize. What gives with that?

But why are these folks making life difficult for their premium customers, those who still subscribe through cable/sat? I've tried to get a straight answer going on 6+ months now, but I've come to believe they want folks to drop their conventional subscriptions and go straight to streaming.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Think it might be because it costs less to stream content than to put up satellites and maintain buggy equipment? I do.

Rich

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It’s all about cost and what DIRECTV is willing to pay for. Has nothing to do with buggy equipment.

And her is something going on with the ops system as I a not having to log in that often at all. I wonder if his IP address is changing a lot and that’s causing it or something.

4. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Highly doubtful, as internet service ip hasn't changed in 3 years even through line amp failures in my neighborhood. Hbo claimes the problem is with dtv not providing them with updated subscriber info, when I ran that down at dtv (yes they are providing it) they backed off that 'explanation'.

Roku says they arn't in the loop on this, makes sense.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Are you using your HBO Go in multiple locations?

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah, how many different devices do you use to watch it as well? There is something going on, be good to find out what...

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Starting from scratch I'd agree with you it is expensive to put up a satellite for just one program or a small set of programs. Then getting your viewers to install the correct receiver and satellite dish and get it all working correctly. Yes that can be difficult. And it has also been done in the past. So it is not impossible.

One can distribute your content through an existing cable channel or if you want to do on demand or pay-per-view you can deal with the DirecTV or dish directly and be on satellite. Much cheaper than brewing your own satellite service. And a wider distribution.

8. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    4 devices in use, 3 roku's (2 on my wifi, 1 on wire) and phone off wifi as well, been maybe 2 yrs since I was traveling and used hotel wifi. I recently changed phone carriers with new phone, minimal data plan, the most I use phone for is the bizzare showtime hoops keeping that working on the roku's. I use mlb.tv every day (off my exinn subscription) on my phone/wifi with no probs whatsoever in the last 2 yrs.

It's the usual finger pointing by all involved, but as I'm dealing with programmers, in my mind it's pretty obvious simply by reading the daily news on programmer screwups. Things started to get wobbly some 6 months ago, apps that had worked for 3 years without fail started requiring reauthorization every few weeks, then slowly getting worse and worse, now everything lasting at best 10 days or so. Last night it took 3hrs to go through all the boxes to get everything up and running, we'll see how long this lasts.

bwaldron likes this.
  9. HofstraJet

HofstraJet Legend

Mar 6, 2003
    Coral...
    I’d add ESPN as an app that asks me to login way too often. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    For me, ESPN is 'basic cable', and goes for 2-3 weeks. I've now been told by several streaming folks that it's directv that is setting the reauthorization period, and again, so far, directv has not agreed to that. I'll see how long it takes before I have to reauthorize things, and try harassing the CS folks and give them an ultimatum to pull my premium channels and subscribe directly, and see if that gets a rise out of them.

11. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Had a long talk with the (partially clueless) directv rep today, they initially said they'd get someone one the line who knew what was going on, then backtracked on that and after I explained I had been talking at length with hbo, which convinced me that the providers (direct, comcast, whoever) controls that since it's their credentials one uses to verify the service (makes sense).

Then they pointed their finger at roku. Just more finger pointing. I'll run for a bit more, then make a decision to drop the premium channels from dtv and get them streamed directly, and then dtv won't be making a cent from my subscribing to those channels.