using dual cable leads?

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by Ryker_moore, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Ryker_moore

Ryker_moore New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    I am still new to all of this. I was wondering if a dual RG6 cable run in off of my antenna would cut the signal loss or if it would be a total waste?? I know that the resistance of a run of wire can be made in half by doubling the wire when dealing with electrical power lines and such.....so it makes "logical" sense that putting a second coax line in parallel with the first should make the signal have a loss that would be half of the single line........

thoughts???? or experience??

Thanks,
    Ryker

2. rcbridge

rcbridge Godfather

Oct 31, 2002
    Probably a waste of time, but for clarity how were you planning on combining the 2 cables?
    Seperate connectors or trying to combine the conductors?

3. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    LOL, you're asking for major problems if you try to "bi-wire" (that's what the audio psyho's call such a setup) your satellite by combining two cables. If you're that worried about signal/voltage loss (and in most houses, you shouldn't be) - run RG-11 instead of RG-6.

4. Ryker_moore

Ryker_moore New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    actually Mark, my satellite has been gone for over 1 year. I went back to just an OTA antenna and watch more TV now than I did with the top 50 package before. I am just looking to improve the signal that I am getting more and more. I am currently having a guy look at moving a 45 foot or so tower to here and that will put me up 20 foot higher than current.

I was planning on using a splitter at the top to put the signal into the 2 cables then rejoin them at the "amp" end of the pre-amp inside.....but as I think about device loss then I am guessing that I would lose most of what I would gain.....so it was a thought that I am going to not try.....

thanks.....