1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using HR20's Remote with my TV's Input selector

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by aphoward, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphoward

aphoward Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    I have programmed my HR20's remote to access my Dell TV's Input menu, but it doesn't matter because the arrow keys on the D* remote do not control the selector on the TV menu. Can anyone offer any advice on this, so I can change inputs with the D* remote and finally get rid of my Dell remote from my living room?

Thanks.

2. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Have you tried 'Channel Down'?

3. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Have you tried the vol keys?

4. RichardS

RichardS Mentor

Jan 2, 2007
    On my Sharp AQUOS, I have to press and release the INPUT key each time I want to select the input I want on the AQUOS. Give it a try and see if that works for you.

RS

5. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Not fully following your question, but maybe my question is the same. I can get each HR20 remote to control the TV they're on (1 Samsung and 1 Sony) for volume, power, mute, etc. But the annoying thing is that the "TV Input" button on the HR20 remote won't control either TV's input which means it's the 1 thing I still need the TV remote for in each room...so annoying...I don't know why it doesn't work!

6. rfoley2

rfoley2 Mentor

Sep 27, 2006
    I have to do the same on my 50" Panasonic plasma. Very annoying.

7. MarkGSportsNut

MarkGSportsNut Legend

Nov 30, 2006
    I know for my TV it is a menu displayed horizontally. The D* remote brings the display up but I can't go left or right to select a different input. It defaults to the input I'm on. I also have not found away to use split screen.

8. aphoward

aphoward Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    Tried those ideas, none of them work. Any other hints? Is there any other button programming I have to do?

9. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Same deal with my Mitsubishi. Fortunately, I have about 5 other remotes that work the input feature of the TV, only the D* one does not.

10. aphoward

aphoward Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    Same as my problem, the TV Input button brings up the Input menu, but I cannot use the D* remote arrows to move on the Input menu. Viewing the menu without being able to change anything is quite useless.

As for your second item, about split screen, you would need to have your HR20 hooked up along with another input directly into the TV's tuner (such as an OTA Antenna or a Cable line, or another D* receiver). The split screen/PIP is a function of the TV, so the TV must have multiple inputs to be able to view in this format.

11. Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    This may sound obvious, but did you enabled the TV INPUT button? It is not sufficient to program the remote for the television (I mean to add the code that corresponds to your television), the TV INPUT fucntion is initially disabled and has to be activated.

I do not recall the command but you can find it in the remote manual and on screen, if you have patience to read the on screen instructions on the remote setup area.

12. aphoward

aphoward Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    As I said in the first line, I have programmed it to access my TV's input menu, bu that's all it does, is display the input menu, it does not allow me to change the input.

13. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Weird that it sounds like it's only impacting mine and yours (and it's happening for me with a Samsung and the Sony. So frustrating, but thanks for commiserating.

14. MarkGSportsNut

MarkGSportsNut Legend

Nov 30, 2006
    Yes, I have that (OTA), D* Tivo, Xbox360. I just can't get the HR20 remote to bring up split screen. I have to use the one that came with the TV for split screen and changing inputs.

15. aphoward

aphoward Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    Oh, the remote won't bring up split screen. You need your TV's remote for that.

16. nick1817

nick1817 Legend

Feb 12, 2007
    Same her on a Panny.

How do you "activate" the TV input button?

17. macEarl

macEarl Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    I've got two Sammy's working aok with this feature - one older DLP, one later LCD.

More than one of the Sammy RC codes will work with each TV. The one that allows volume to continuously increase/decrease instead of only one volume increment per button hold-down is the one that also makes the input feature work - on my models.

FWIW, it's not the first working number in the RC codes list - so you have to find THE right code even after you've found A right code.

For one, using the TV Input button repeatedly will cycle the input, on the other, it brings up the list of possible and I get from one to the next via the channel button. (Don't recall the Enter sequence - volume? right arrow? - sorry, that TV's in use and I can't cross-check right now.)

hth

18. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006

Wow, 2 things I have to mention: 1st, I love this board. You were exactly right...I just tried it and it was the 3rd code, sure enough!! 2nd, if I had just paid attention in the 1st place, maybe I would have seen the extra "960" code to get TV Input to work!!! AND, the volume hold-down feature now works!! Terrific...thanks for the kick in the butt...I clearly needed it.

Now maybe the wife will get off my back about 1 less remote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.