1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using older reciever

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rb8jm, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1 of 12
    rb8jm

rb8jm New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I have the older model RCA Direct TV reciever, model # drd222rd. I have been told i can use this reciver with the purchace of a new card from direct. Has anyone out there ever done this.My big concern is how the old reciever will work with the new equipment? I just dropped the 5.99 a month charge for Direct service. I talked with a service person on the phone that said the old equipment could cause a problem. I don't want to damage my system, but i can install this (extra reciever) myself and save money.I know I will have to have the new card activated. Does anyone know how much Direct charges for and to activate the new card. Trying to save some money.

2. Apr 8, 2009 #2 of 12
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    You can infact use your old receiver without an issue as long as you do NOT get the SWM style LNB.

You can use a standard round 18" dish with a single lnb.
    Or
    You can use the oval 3 LNB dish.
    Or
    You can use the 5 or 3 LNB KA/KU dish.

HOWEVER, the receiver you have can only interperate satellite 101. So there may be a few stations you will not receive unless oyu upgrade your receiver as well.

3. Apr 8, 2009 #3 of 12
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    The card is $20 shipped and can then be activated over the phone at no extra cost. If the lines are already there there is little point in getting a new IRD if you have an old one still working. There are plenty RCA's still in the field and there shouldn't be any problems caused by it [ except for the SWM incompatibility ]

4. Apr 8, 2009 #4 of 12
    rb8jm

rb8jm New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I have at least a 3 LNB oval dish , can a reciver be updated over the phone? This aditional reciver is going in a area with no phone lines, are phone lines required to add this reciever? Can a active card from another reciever be used in an old reciver?

5. Apr 8, 2009 #5 of 12
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    What $5.99 service did you drop? If it was a DVR fee you can save it, if it was the $4.99 lease fee you will pay a $4.99 fee for an additional receiver owning the receiver won't save you money.:)

6. Apr 8, 2009 #6 of 12
    rb8jm

rb8jm New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    The 5.99 is monthly fee is from direct in case of epuipment problems, to keep form paying a service charge if a tech had to come out.

7. Apr 8, 2009 #7 of 12
    jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    I wouldn't activate it,

I had one of those boxes see my signature
    the box started to act funny the last six months i had it,then at the very end there were guide issues with it and finally back in january it wouldn't even power up anymore.
    10 years of service :D and now its a door stop.

8. Apr 8, 2009 #8 of 12
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    For the $20 you'll pay for new access card you might as well just get a brand new standard receiver (which they give away like candy anyway so you can probably get it for free or for darn close to the $20) and then you'll have the latest and know you'll be good to go for the future.

9. Apr 8, 2009 #9 of 12
    miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    You are going to have guide issues, and those issues will eventually get worse. Right now, those old boxes can't get the channels above 700, and most of the PPV channels. If you don't care, it should be fine, and you can probably get a few more years out of it until D* throws in the towel on supporting those old receivers.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Receivers are sent activation/authorization/update signals over the sat line; you don't need a phone line.

You cannot move a card from one receiver to another; the cards are electronically "married" to the receiver they are assigned to. You must purchase a replacement card from DirecTV for $20. When this receiver is activated, you will pay an additional $5/month to mirror your programming to it, as you would with any other receiver.

11. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Just one slight clarification; the cards are married to the receiver in the newer receivers. My RCA drd480 is not married to the receiver and a lot of the older receivers didn't do it either. The card in my 480 died about 5 years ago and I pulled the card out of another one of the standard DTV receivers I had in a drawer. When I called DTV to have them activate the new card, the lady gave me the line about the cards being married to the receivers. I told her they weren't and to just activate the card. She said it won't work, but sure enough, the receiver came up and worked fine. So if the OP has another RCA or old DTV receiver lying around, I'd try moving the card first.

12. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    He'll get 18months for the "candy" receiver. :)