Using the Eastern Arc in a Western State

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by doerinsm, Sep 10, 2011.

1. doerinsm

doerinsm New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Hello,

I apologize if this question has an obvious answer, but I've looked around and haven't been able to find a definitive response.

I live in an apartment in Phoenix, AZ with an east facing balcony. I recently had Directv out for an install and they were able to obtain a signal, but they felt it wasn't strong enough to be satisfactory. So now I've started looking at Dish Network. From my location, I definitely wouldn't have a line of sight for the Western Arc satellites, but was wondering if I would be able to use a 1000.4 dish and point toward the Eastern Arc? I would have a direct line of sight according to dishpointer.com. However, I don't understand the technical aspects of Dish/Satellites enough to know if this would even be possible?

Could someone explain to me if this is possible and what shortcomings would result from pointing at the Eastern Arc from Arizona? HD sports is my primary interest in terms of service. Thanks for your time and help.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Hi... and welcome.

I can't answer the "will you be able to do it" question... but another consideration is that some Local channels (esp the HD ones) are only on one arc or the other... so that's a factor if you care about your locals.

3. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    where in AZ? Phoenix locals are on the 110; Tucson 119; you could get your HD from 72.7, I think?

4. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    duh! OK, you should be ok.

5. InstallerIssues

InstallerIssues New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    You will be ok the only issue will be your local channels.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    The other possible problem is 61.5 is az102 and elev.24. Do you have Line of Sight (LOS)?:):):)

7. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    is it still the policy of DISH to only do an install that includes the locals? ...in this case the 110.

11* elevation for the 61.5 was the obstacle for me as an alternative to the 129 when it was falling out of the sky.

8. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I still laugh that Miami Florida is on the western arc. 110/119/129

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    It's not that there isn't a spotbeam for the Miami area - Echostar just doesn't have an uplink for it right now.