Uverse and Directv installation preplanning

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by spidey, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Dec 8, 2010 #1 of 10
    spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I searched and couldnt find a discussion on this so was hoping some of you can help me out. Plus the ATT forums dont seem to have the answers I am looking for and I know many of the folks here that have self installed DTV etc will likely provide faster and better help. Plus the Uverse folks on phone seemed all confused.

Ok here is my setup today

I have ATT Landline and DSL. All 4 of the DTV receivers have a phone line connected to them. I also have a hardwired phone in kitchen and use a wireless base station for rest of phones in the house. I have DECA, SWM8 and receivers are HR20, HR21 and HR24. I have a wireless router and dsl modem in living room and the wireless base station is in the office ( needs to stay there ).

So major questions:

If I lose all the POTS that I currently have in the house and how would the DTV receivers still connect to the phone lines?

Seems like their install is out of the world in price unless ya do TV but not planning on doing TV just internet and Voice. I wanted a self install but since they couldnt explain anything about how things will work hesitant to order without a better understanding of what they expect and what I currently have and a game plan to make sure everything is as it is today with landline and dsl.

2. Dec 8, 2010 #2 of 10
    Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    My U-Verse modem has two phone jacks built in. Perhaps you can tap your house into one of the jacks. Not 100% sure if that will work. I’m on Vonage. I have my Vonage box plugged directly into my house. This way every phone jack in my house has a dial tone.

3. Dec 8, 2010 #3 of 10
    humanjas

humanjas Cool Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I had them install the TV because it was the only way to get free installation (I think it also increased my mail in rebate amounts). The good thing about getting TV installed was that I was able to talk the installer into running Cat5 to the 3 rooms because I wasn't disconnecting the DirecTV.

As far as the phone line, they will back feed the phone cable coming out of the modem into your internal wiring. This should allow all of your phone jacks to continue to work.

4. Dec 8, 2010 #4 of 10
    spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Why did they install Cat 5 to all the rooms? I thought their TV stuff used COAX. Thanx on that backfeed option since when i chatted with their folks they were saying I would lose phone lines. Did u keep the TV part or just canceled after install was all done etc?

5. Dec 8, 2010 #5 of 10
    humanjas

humanjas Cool Member

Dec 11, 2009
    They installed Cat5 because I was using the coax for D*. U-verse can run on either coax or cat5. If you read the uverse forums, most people would agree that cat5 is the better option (I don't know the specifics). Nevertheless, I now have cat5 in my rooms which is nice.

I didn't keep the tv because uverse can't match up with D*. Many people have stated the downfalls of uverse in other threads, so I won't list them all again. I kept the tv long enough to get the rebate cards. I think it was about 2 months. After I cancelled the TV, i just had to take their boxes back to a UPS store and they boxed and shipped them back to AT&T.

The internet and phone are great, it's just the the television works better for households with one or two persons max due to the lack of streams available.

6. Dec 8, 2010 #6 of 10
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    U-verse uses HomePNA (over twisted pair or coax) to connect things. Where wire doesn't already exist, CAT5 is cheaper and easier to install than coax and offers the same throughput (HomePNA is rated to 320Mbps).

I suspect that you're thinking of FiOS that uses MoCA that is implemented exclusively on coax.

7. Dec 8, 2010 #7 of 10
    jjfeo

jjfeo Mentor

Dec 9, 2009
    I have Uverse for phone and DSL. We had the phone connected through the jacks in the house, but with that, we lost caller ID. I bought a wireless phone system with 3 bases and connected it directly to the modem and all features of the phones work.

8. Dec 8, 2010 #8 of 10
    spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Uverse folks I talked to today claim that NID to RG can be wireless :). I asked repeatedly are you sure? Oh well we will find out soon I have install scheduled in Jan since I am concerned they will need to fish wire to get everything setup. If I lose callerid they are going to rewire whatever they need to make it work. Now if they want to drop me two ethernet ports to were my router currently is I guess they can put the RG in my office with the base station.

9. Dec 9, 2010 #9 of 10
    gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    My install was back in Oct and NID to RG was wired, I really doubt there's a wireless NID to RG support. I'm <500ft from the VRAD. I had UVerse tv/internet/phone installed and canceled the TV part a few weeks ago to get the free install and $300 rebate. I only wanted voice and internet anyways.
    Our install:
    NID-->twisted pair-->cat5->RG

None of the other phone jacks work if you plug in a phone line. I'm not sure if that's what most installs do, but it is fine for us since both our fax machine and landline cordless phone base station hook up to the RG anyways.

Even if wireless NID to RG is available, I would opt for a wired install regardless. One less item to go haywire :).

10. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Thanx I doubt the wireless as well thats why i tool the TV so id get free install but only 200 back since I already have landline and dsl and they have assured me my jacks will work :)