1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uverse vs directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by somekevinguy, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 #1 of 17
    somekevinguy

somekevinguy Legend

Jan 7, 2008
    I was at my mom's the other day and they have Uverse and I couldn't believe all the HD channels they had. Basically every single channel I have ever wished for they had. G4, E, Outdoor, etc along with all the ones dtv has and then they have more HBO channels and every one was in HD. How long until dtv catches up? Between that and the audio drop outs and now more recently video glitches and my boxes seeming slower than ever since the last update I am considering switching after all these years.

2. Oct 6, 2010 #2 of 17
    E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    Actually, Uverse doesn't have anywhere near the sports coverage of D*.

3. Oct 6, 2010 #3 of 17
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Do your homework carefully. UVerse has issues, too.

4. Oct 6, 2010 #4 of 17
    TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I think that U-verse is now at an interesting crossroads in its development. It is currently in about 2.4 million homes, having added about 235,000 in the last 12 months. But a change in Federal Communication Commission's classification of broadband providers could cause AT&T to decrease funding to Uverse.

The FCC is considering reclassifying cable internet to a Title 2 service. Under the tighter Title 2 classification, the FCC would gain new powers of regulation. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson says that could change the economics of the business.

U-verse is caught in a catch 22 scenario. To get anywhere near the 19 Million homes that a company like DirecTV is in, and to compete with available programming packages, requires continued, heavy investment, but although the FCC says it won't exercise its greatest Title 2 power of regulating pricing, AT&T knows that that position could change at any time. A recent quote from AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson stated "If this Title 2 regulation looks imminent, we have to re-evaluate whether we put shovels in the ground."

So, understand that with DirecTV having given the green light to a new D14 satellite due for launch in 2014, with the expanded HD capability that satellite will bring, U-verse could well be going in the other direction and have to pull back on their level of investment.

I would also point out that U-verse HD pictures are not as good as D* HD pictures, and U-verse has more technical issues than any other provider out there. As an example, because they run fibre to the node but copper to your house, your HD/SD profile is determined by how far your house is from the VRAD. That's major. Also, their DVR functionality is not as good as D*, even allowing for the lag.

5. Oct 6, 2010 #5 of 17
    Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding AllStar

Jul 12, 2005
    SW Ohio
    I looked extensively in to Uverse The video quality of their HD channels was horrible compared to DirecTV. There is also a limit to the number of HD channels our home could watch and/or record at the same time (I think it was 2 or 3). Both of those factors were immediate deal breakers for me.

6. Oct 6, 2010 #6 of 17
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Look again. The grass isn't greener on the Uverse side of the fence!

7. Oct 6, 2010 #7 of 17
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I was a DirecTV customer for 11 years and was forced to move to a place where I can't get direct southern sky view needed for Directv. I now live in a U-verse community.
    U-verse may, today, have some channels that DirecTv doesn't but there is no comparison. In every way Directv is better.
    1) the single dvr - watch anywhere model is flawed - especially today. You can only pause, replay, etc. live shows on the tv attached to the DVR - on other tv's you have to record the program to be able to do that stuff.
    2) You are limited to 4 shows at a time period for all your tvs. You can be recording three and watching 1 or any other combination.
    3) Except for a few locations today, you can't watch/record 4 HD shows at once. It seems as if most people are limited to 2 HD and 2 SD. This is changing and they have promised 4 HD for all in the near future. This will be done with higher compression.
    4) The U-verse dvr is years behind the DirecTv. Not even close. OK it is faster, most of the time, to remote button pushes. Other than than it isn't close all the features we love are missing.
    5) I get as more picture break ups, sound defects etc as I did with Directv - ok U-verse does work during severe thunderstorms.

In summary - don't go U-verse if you want a good TV experience.

8. Oct 6, 2010 #8 of 17
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    With DirecTV I have three DVRs with nearly 400 hours of MPEG-4 HD capacity. Uverse could not come close to that. AAMOF, they wouldn’t give me more than one “Whole Home” DVR with a 65 hour capacity.

When I inquired about getting three DVRs the CSR told me that they only have one configuration with a single DVR and “satellite” receivers for the other TV’s. Of course that could be just my area and they might do it differently else where...although I doubt it. :shrug:

When any other service will allow me record six HD shows, watch one live HD channel, watch two additional HD recordings, and all for $15 I currently pay for the hardware...then we'll talk. Until then no one can come close to what I have with DirecTV...I'm just sayin' :grin:

Mike

9. Oct 6, 2010 #9 of 17
    hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    If UVerse allowed for an OTA solution to be integrated, I likely would have switched already. Would lessen the issues of:

1) limited streams into the house
    2) PQ concerns

Oh well.

10. somekevinguy

somekevinguy Legend

Jan 7, 2008
    I just hope dtv quits adding these bs hd channels that I don't watch and adds some of ones on our wish lists soon and the audio dropouts can be ridiculous sometimes. That is getting old too.

11. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I had U-Verse internet installed in my house a few weeks back. During installation I asked the tech about U-Verse TV and micro blocking. He did confirm my suspicions. During fast moving scenes micro blocking is an issue. Based upon that, I’m staying with DIRECTV. Picture quality is my top priority. Sure I want more national HD channels, and I want them yesterday. I can wait….

12. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I have uverse for voice and internet and droped the TV as the HD was not that good. I did it to get the internet as it is great and it gave me a free month to look at there TV. Try it, they give you the enough rebates to pay for the TV for 30 days so if you do not like it drop the TV.

13. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    The limited number of streams is a deal breaker to me.

14. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    This month marks one year of the audio dropouts and there are still people calling in and they say they have no record of it...... Ellen's office even called it "An occasional dropout" last week in an email with me that's been going back and forth for about 8-10 months. Every month or so I send it back to them letting them know the dropouts are still alive. :(

15. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    For many of us this would not even appear on a comparison grid. ;)

16. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    not a big issue here, don;t watch sports

Major disadvantages

1. 1 DVR only for whole house, no external drive for storage increase
    2. depending on distance from VRAD 2HD/2SD feeds, normal can be considered 1HD/2SD

Both of those are serious faults, at least in my consideration, have 5 HD TV's if I, my wife or kids are recording 2 HD shows I cannot watch anything in HD, if for some reason the 2HD and 2SD are recording you basicly can only watch what is being recorded..

The drive space is kind of a joke on the Uverse DVR, especially if you have multiple people with different tastest and viewiung habits. There is no ability to add a external drive to the system and no intention of doing so. When and if they get intergration to MS Media Center like they are talking about this may not be an issue, already have 10 TB on the MC now, but the lack of "tuners" is still a show stopper

17. dhines

dhines Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    earlier this year i ordered uverse for my internet . . . and i am very happy with it. when i ordered it, i was told that by ordering the TV package (through uverse) i would qualify for a total of $400 in rebates and then gave the install for free ($150 if it would have been an install for internet only). i asked them about a contract, and there was none. so i ordered the TV package along with the internet.

all of that being said, i have been with d* for about 15 years and had no interest in leaving, but figured 'what the heck'. needless to say, i thought it was a decent picture and really liked all of the HD channels, but like others have said . . . the limiting of HD streams was a deal breaker for me.

so after 15 days, i cancelled the TV service and still kept all the rebates :D

but i will say this, for those that can't get directv and have a very few number of streams needed, i think this is a very good option to go with.