1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V 80's cult fav to be remade by ABC.

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by cj9788, May 18, 2009.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    "New dramas include: Scott Peters’ re-imagining of Kenneth Johnson’s sci-fi classic, V; The Forgotten, created by Mark Friedman and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer Television; Happy Town, from the Life on Mars [US] team of Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg, and David Hemingson’s The Deep End.

V, the alien invasion series, features a TV all-star cast: Elizabeth Mitchell [Lost], Morena Baccarin [Firefly], Morris Chestnut [The Perfect Holiday], Joel Gretsch [The 4400], Scott Wolf [Everwood, Party of Five], Lourdes Benedicto [Cashmere Mafia, The Nine],and Logan Huffman [Lymelife]."

http://eclipsemagazine.com/television/9716/

I remember the original V on NBC back in 83. I loved it then and am eager to see a new take on it.

The Alphabet net has some interesting new shows!

2. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    same here!

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Great news about V, but potentially ominous news for Juliette on Lost!

4. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I didnt even think about that. Although a show like Lost always seems to find story lines for the dead characters.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I loved this show when I was a teenager, but I wonder how it will translate for a more jaded and smarter crowd.

6. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I remember watching the original as well or at least I think I do ( I would've been 11 when it was first on ). The CG will definitely be better than the rubber skin they used back then.

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I was enthralled by the original back in 1983 (I was 21). I rewatched it sometime last year and couldn't believe how bad it was. It was the WAY over-the-top soap-opera stuff. Every cast member already had deep previous connections to everyone else, or so it seemed. Like in all of L.A., they could only get one "clique" involved in everything.

A little bit of that, here and there, is ok. And I certainly like the *development* of relationships during a series (I hate the Big Red Reset Button), but this was just TOO much..

8. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I was 25 when it was on, and the question I have to ask is Why? It was terrible. Once you know the aliens are really lizards with human masks that want to enslave instead of help us, there isn't really much to the show anymore.

I'd like to see a remake of a show from the 60's called Invasion, I think, where the aliens were hidden among us in minor positions of power (sheriff, prosecutor, mayor, etc.) and only one guy even knew we were under attack. He'd go from one small town to another trying to defeat them and convince others to join him.

The only way you could tell they were aliens was something about the joints of their fingers.

9. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I thought this show was okay when it aired back in the 80's. But seeing it again a couple years ago I thought it was pretty bad. Hopefully they can give it a new spin and make it work. Always in for any new SciFi shows.

10. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    You were close, the show was called The Invaders. It starred Roy Thinnes (I had to cheat on the actors name). I really liked that show.

11. Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    That's true. But then I have to ask myself why do I enjoy Sci-Fi movies from the 50's and horror movies from the 30's.:)

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It'll be interesting. I never saw the original. I think I was busy watching things Dukes of Hazzard or Webster.

Man, going through the old schedules is a real blast from the past.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I think they'll make the show smarter and darker. The original was pretty dark for its time but I bet they go really dark now.

And at least the effects will be better this time around.

14. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Uhhh, ABC did that like 3 seasons ago and it bombed big time. They even called it Invasion.

15. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    This pretty much sums up my feelings about knight rider too. The new version didn't work at all for me.

16. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I the V miniseries was pretty good, but the weekly series was bad. I need to watch the miniseries again...I might just change my mind.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The original V mini-series was good... even with the cheesy F/X... The 2nd mini-series was so-so... and the TV series that aired afterwards was kind of bad.

There is a chance to make a good updated/remake of this.

I hope they find a good part and can get Robert Englund in there. He was one of the nice-guy aliens in the first V... well before he became Freddy Krueger, for those who didn't remember him being in V. It'd be a nice nod to the original if they put him in the remake somehow.

18. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    agree

19. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
  20. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Interesting that it's planned for a 4 year run. Rather gutsy in this day and age.