1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V: Pilot (OAD: 11/3/2009)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by The Merg, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1 of 71
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, I gotta say I was impressed. I think they did a pretty good job with it and I am definitely waiting for more...

- Merg

2. Nov 3, 2009 #2 of 71
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Due to spoilers not being hidden in the popup texts...

I was definitely surprised by
    Wash (Firelfly reference) being a Visitor
    and also that
    the one other character was a AWOL Visitor.

- Merg

3. Nov 3, 2009 #3 of 71
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I will continue to watch it, but I am not as impressed. Remakes have a hard time when you walk in knowing the plot line.
    Also ABC has a sound DD issue. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but it seems the music and background sounds are overdriving the vocals and action. Could be my Directv feed from ABC.
    One thing I did catch was...
    How the kid accused Independence Day of ripping off other scifi plots.(obviously previous V series)

4. Nov 3, 2009 #4 of 71
    Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    But should you have an expectation that it is going to follow the EXACT same plot line?

BSG really didn't follow the same plot line at all.

5. Nov 3, 2009 #5 of 71
    tralfaz

tralfaz Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Oct 31, 2009
    Rules:

Official Episode Threads:
    When starting a discussion about a specific show episode, please put the air date and name of the program (and title if you know it) in the subject line. (ie: Lost, “Man of Science, Man of Faith,” 11/16.)

This will be the “official” thread for that week, and anything within that thread may contain spoilers for that show. It is also okay to mention a plot point from any previous episode. If you are not caught up on this show, and do not wish to read spoilers, do not open this thread.

6. Nov 3, 2009 #6 of 71
    Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    Umm... aren't they there? I see the air date and the title: Pilot

7. Nov 3, 2009 #7 of 71
    tralfaz

Oct 31, 2009
    Did you read the second line?

8. Nov 3, 2009 #8 of 71
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I noticed the same thing. I thought it was our surround system just not set to the right setting for this type of show. I had a real hard time hearing and understanding the words, but lots of background music was playing at all times. There seemed to be a lot of crescendos in themusic that would start to drown out the voices.

9. Nov 4, 2009 #9 of 71
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The only thing really disappointing to me is the fact that ABC is watered down HD because of sending 2 720p and 1 480i subchannels...

But the show was better than I thought. They did seem to give away a lot in the first episode, and it seems paced faster towards the "reveals" than the original.

Also noticed some gender reversal similar to what BSG did... assuming they "go" where they seem to be going, it looks like the Laura Vandervoort character is similar to the blonde male Visitor from the original mini-series. Also, the reporter-of-choice is a man but was a woman in the original.

10. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    I wasn't expecting much, but I gotta say that I really liked it. Plus, they really covered a lot of ground for a pilot. We had the arrival, found out that the V's are actually reptilian (which we all already knew, so why make some big reveal of that later), we established a resistance, and we are left with the impression that the V's are really up to something sinister (which we also already knew).

I really thought we would spend half the first season establishing all these things that we already "knew". Glad to see they got all of that out of the way quickly. I really looking forward to where this show could go. I fully expect some twists along the way for those of us that think we already know the story. We'll see...

The PQ and sound here in Denver was really quite good. I didn't hear the 5.1 issues that you guys are talking about, maybe it's the local affiliate. (Sound on ABC here used to be atrocious, but they seem to have gotten it together in the last year or so).

Anyway, fingers crossed that they can keep this interesting.

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It was a fine, but really was full of early "reveals." I don't understand what ABC has in mind.

I'm trying to figure out how this could turn into a 5-year-23-one-hour-episodes-a-year series. Syfy managed to stretch the 196 minute original miniseries into 4½ hours with commercials and the 4½ "Final Battle" miniseries into 6 hours with commercials. So that was 10½ hours with commercials which wouldn't even make one 13-episode season.

I guess I can see some kind of different ongoing story approach as a weekly investigation procedural. But Syfy is working on a remake of the "Alien Nation" series, so I hope we don't get too many aliens-among-us procedurals going.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I did post the OAD and episode title in the Thread Title. As for spoilers, they are directly related to the episode. I was specifically referring to the spoiler tag which does not work on the popups when moving your mouse pointer over a thread title while viewing the forum index.

I think most people here will acknowledge that I know the rules here.

- Merg

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I think that is why those two items surprised me so much. I guess I wasn't anticipating those reveals so quickly.

- Merg

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'd say they weren't too worried about it since everybody knows the story anyways.

15. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    With 2,676 posts, ya think. :lol:
    Oh those young whippersnappers.;)

16. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I liked it. It's fun seeing all the actors from different SciFI TV shows. Like Laura Vandervoort (Smallville's Supergirl) and Joel Gretsch from 4400 and Taken, and the Firefly references... Also, Elizabeth Mitchell from LOST.

Makes me wonder if the actors like working SciFi or are they there because of Director/Producer familiarity?

17. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    I think it was a pretty good episode and re-imagining of the series so far. I didn't understand the early reveals but I think cygnusloop nailed it. Why draw out what we already know? The only thing left is if the V's will round up the same individuals they did in the original miniseries (especially since NO ONE from those work fields have been introduced as of yet).

Sorry that seems vague, but not sure how many people have watched the original, but those who have will understand :).

After what they've revealed now, the show can now take it's own direction, it really doesn't have to be constrained to the plot line of the original anymore...

18. tralfaz

Oct 31, 2009
    Or things, YOU already knew. I (and I would believe many others) never watched the previous V, so know nothing about it.

19. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I never saw the original and am not a traditional sci-fi fan but I did enjoy the first episode. I think my wife, the avid sci-fi avoider, liked it too.

20. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    my wife did too tcusta00, though I don't think she'll admit it. For this show she 'put the laptop down' so that is a good sign ;) No facebooking during shows means she is at least interested :)