Vacation Hold or Cancel DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mika911, Jul 28, 2019.

1. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    I'm considering cancelling DirecTV for a variety of reasons, but don't want to regret it.

If I go on a vacation hold, can I cancel directly from a vacation hold or would I have to reactivate again?

Finally, I have a HR44, but my other receivers are really old HD DVRS, the only one I'd get charged for if I cancel and can't go to UPS Store is the HR44, right? I have 2 other HD DVRS activated and maybe 3-4 super old non HD not activated receivers besides the HR44.

So $135 should be the most I'd be charged for equipment even if I didn't bother going to UPS store? Thanks so much!!!

2. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    They wanted my HR24 back when I upgraded a few months ago.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Here's a list of DIRECTV receivers that must be returned if you cancel or upgrade...H24...HR24...H25...H44...HR44...HR54...All Genie Clients.

armchair likes this.
  4. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I recently cancelled after a suspension. The do reactivate the service for one day prior to the termination. No charge since they charge and then credit the remaining days in your billing period. Remember that in most states Directv does not refund partial month charges anymore. Also heard that accounts converted to AT&T are being charged a monthly suspension charge.

5. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    After trying several times with AT&T to get discounts put back on my account and then finally dropping down to one of the low end choice packages, I put the account for our vacation house on suspension. It's $7 a month instead of the $100 they wanted me to pay. I told the guy it was ridiculous that my 4 TV account was going to cost around $100 a month when my other account with 7 TV's and Choice Plus is only costing $63. Difference between the two accounts, the primary account is still with DTV and DTV's retention department will give me discounts. The vacation account has been converted to AT&T who has been next to impossible to get discounts from. When the vacation account was with DTV, I never had issues getting $25-50 off the bill. Once it moved to AT&T, the discount train stopped completely. Odds are I'll cancel the service the next time I'm at the house and can pick up the equipment.

One thing AT&T said when I suspended, you have to wait one month after suspension before you can re-activate. So if you want to try the suspension route, make sure you don't want to reactivate within a month. Also, I just had a hard drive go bad in an HR24 and they wanted it shipped back. So they still want the 24's.