Vacation home.. how to get D* service there?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by n3ntj, Aug 30, 2019.

1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I bought a vacation home about an hour away (same DMA as my primary address) and want D* there. There is already a slimline dish (prior owner also had HD service with D*). At my current home, I have an HR54 and a genie. Other than taking the HR54 with me, is there a way to get an HD online receiver to take to the vacation home? I will only be there maybe 5~7 days per month so paying $100+ for a separate account for something I will rarely use makes no sense. D* told me I can suspend service when I am not there but not more than 180 days per year and no more than 4 times per year. Again, this does not make financial sense. I still have 2 HR24's from when I updated in the past and D* didn't want them back. These are not activated but simply sitting unused with their old cards (de-activated). I know those are HD DVRs and I won't need DVR service at the vacation home.. just a single HD receiver. I'd want the same programming package that I have at my main address. Thanks.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    1. See if you can get one of your HR24s activated and working at your current house. If so, then swap that for your Genie client in your house and take the HR24 back and forth with you. This would not change your monthly bill.
    2. If you want to get an HD receiver (non-Genie), you can get a H25, but that might cost you money for the receiver and/or contract extension. Monthly bill won't change.
    3. Or get one of your HR24s activated at home and take to your vacation home and leave there. It will cost you $7 more per month (maybe more in Feb when the rates typically go up). But better than a full account.

3. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    As TRH suggested, the easiest thing would be to re-active one of the 24's and use it (either take it back and forth, or just set it up there and leave it there). That will cost you $7 a month for the extra receiver. If you setup a new account, it's going to cost you $7 a month when it's suspended and probably $65ish when it's not suspended. So either way, you're going to pay a minimum of $7.
    For the new house, assuming the slimline is using a SWM LNB, you'll probably need to pick up a power inserter (I doubt the previous owner left theirs). You can get them from Amazon for about $15. If it's not using a SWM LNB, I would recommend picking up one of the LNB/power inserter kits on Amazon for $30. Having the same dish/LNB setup at both locations makes it a lot easier to drag the HR24 back and forth between the two houses. You also won't need to buy the BBC converters for the HR24 to make it work on a non SWM LNB.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    With the new ATT policy, you may not be able to reactivate an HR24

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Exactly why my first words were "See if you can get one of your HR24s activated..."

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yeah, that's what I figured.. I will see if they can activate one of my HR24s at home. I figured D* will ask why I don't simply want a Genie-mini to connect to my HR54. I am fine with $7/month which is what I assumed it would be. If I can get it activated, I would simply leave the HR24 at my vacation home since I have no other use for it. I still have several BBCs from my prior installs if I needed them. Do the modern (non-SWIM) LNBs have 2 outputs? I recall when I upgraded to 4k, the tech replaced my dish/LNB and there's only 1 line into my home, but I can't recall (I am not at home now) if the newer LNB outputs have 1 or 2 outputs. If 2, I can simply run the 2nd output at home directly to my HR54 to get it activated..then bring it to my vacation home.

If need be, I could get an H25, activate it at home, and leave it at my vacation home, too. The one-time fee (for the H25) plus $7/month is reasonable for me. If I simply bought an H25 (or similar IRD) on the web and called D* to activate it from home, would they have any issue doing that since it wouldn't be connected to my regular HR54 and genie-mini setup?? Same home, separate parallel setup using the same dish and running to a separate TB. I guess my question is.. will they activate a receiver at the same home but connected to its own output from the same dish as my regular setup (HR54/genie-mini)??

D* quoted me over $100 to get the same package at my vacation home that I have at home.. I told them, no way I am paying over $100/month for maybe 5~8 days per month, even with the limited ability to disable the vacation home service when not there.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Just tell them you're adding another TV in your house. Hook it up to the TV with the mini to get it working. And by 'it', I mean either one of your HR24s (if they will activate it) or an H25 (which they might even send to you free depending on your account status).

And once you get your solution, don't hook your vacation house box up to the internet......

8. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Hook up one of my HR24s with a mini? Why? I didn't think the HRxx units work with mini's since HRxx units aren't Genies. I would think I'd want to simply hook up the HR24 to the 3rd TV (I actually do have a 3rd TV that is simply connected to the HR54 using an HDMI splitter). The HR24 would be connected to the LNB's 2nd output (assuming it has a 2nd output). I don't want to connect the HR24 to my current setup of HR54 and Genie Mini.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I said hook the 24 up to THE TV that has the mini. You don't hook up a mini to a non-Genie DVR.

My thought process was since you currently have 2 DIRECTV devices running, you probably have 2 coax drops. And the wiring for the mini is usually less than the Genie. Less opportunities to disconnect something you need if you disconnect the mini instead of the 54.

Since you have a 3rd TV, you can hook it up to that if you have a coax from your DIRECTV system available. Nothing goes from your Genie 54 or mini to the 24.

This is just to set it up and get it activated and running. Once that is done, you disconnect it and take it to your vacation home. And if you had to use the coax from your mini or 54 to get it working, move it back to the original box.

If they try to sell you another mini, tell them you want a unit with its own tuner so if the 54 dies, you'll still have one working TV. Either one of your 24s or a new HD receiver (H25 is small like your mini. H24 is big like the HR24).

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    BTW, to further clarify, while HR2Xs won't drive a mini, you can have them all in the same system. We have an HR44 Genie, one mini and four HR24s. They all work well together. The mini can play any show recorded on the HR44 or any of the four HR24s.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Thanks for the clarification TRH. I checked my LNB when I got home and it has only 1 output; the tech changed the LNB when I upgraded to 4k so he replaced the prior 4 output LNB with a single output LNB. He also took out the SWIM and simply put the single line from the LNB into a 1x4 splitter to feed the HR54 and mini. Can I hook up the HR24 to a line directly off that splitter and it will work with the Genie system (in other words, the HR24 will still get a sat. signal)? Thanks.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes.

But I'd only do that if the splitter was conveniently located and had a spare coax cable.

If the 1x4 splitter is outside or in your attic, just take the coax line out of the back of your mini, plug the 24 in to power and get a HDMI run from the HR24 to the TV.

Then call DIRECTV to see if you can re-activate the HR24. Getting one reactivated could be problematic.

13. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    If they won't re-activate it, I would buy an H25 on Amazon or similar (looks like they're ~ $100 to 140) and then call D* (or go the website) to activate it. If you already have an H25 (from a 3rd party) already setup with a dish connection and connected to a TV, will D* activate that via phone or website without a tech visit?

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv charges $99 for an H25, why would you go to a third party and risk possible activation hassles? If you order it from Directv that's the easiest way, and you'll get a new commitment whether you order from Directv or Amazon/eBay.

The best solution is to get Directv to activate one of those old HR24s, I'd try that first. They might not even require a new commitment for that.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If they won't activate an hr24 you previously had installed, I doubt they would activate an h25 you get from someone else.

Unless it us an authorized 3rd party DIRECTV retailer.

If no hr24, ask DIRECTV for the HD receiver; it could be free.

16. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I called and got D* to activate one of my HR24s (apparently I could have done that online, too, from what the CSR told me). I installed the HR24 in place of my Genie mini meaning it's connected to my 'genie network'. I disconnected the coax to the HR54 to see if I can get the HR24 to work alone (just the LNB and HR24) since that will be the setup at my vacation home. I get a 775 error (there is a problem communicating with the satellite dish). I am going to go through the satellite dish setup but not sure what settings I need to use. My LNB is the modern single output LNB with no separate (external) SWIM. What settings do I need to use? No BBCs are needed?

The LNBs at my regular and vacation homes are the same so if I can get the receiver set up properly at home, I should be OK at my vacation home.. I just can't figure out the satellite dish settings on the HR24.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You hooked up in place of your mini and disconnected the coax to your 54? Confusing.

Go to your 54 and under Settings, System Info and Test. You'll see what satellite configuration you have. Mirror that on the 24.

18. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I installed the HR24 in place of the mini and disconnected the HR54 so I could get the HR24 to work alone with the dish.. I didn't want the HR54 in the loop (as part of the 'network') so I can replicate the setup at my vacation home.

The HR54 settings are: SL3 LNB, reverse band, and SWM LNB 22 ch.

The dish configuration headings for the HR54 and HR24 are different. On the HR24, I have it set up SL3 LNB, reverse band, switch type SWM, and dual tuners.

There HR54 has no "tuners" option. I noticed that the splitter had the HR54 on port 1 which looks like its set up for passing power to the LNB, so I swapped the HR24's coax to that location and unhooked the HR54's feed. Still no go. When I try Recheck SWM, I get a SWM registration error message.

19. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Doesn't the hr54 supply power to the LNB? Leave the 54 on and if it is working the hr24 should as well.

20. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    But I won't have the HR54 at my vacation home.. only the HR24. I am trying to replicate the setup at my vacation home (single receiver and dish/LNB only) to see if I can get it to work at home before I take the HR24 there. Is that the problem? I need a power inserter for the dish/LNB and the HR24 doesn't provide that? Do I need to buy this: https://amzn.to/2MPAwpM

It simply gets inserted in the line b/w the HR24 and the LNB?

With the HR24 running, I do forget how painfully slow the HR24s are. If I get did an H25:
    A. are the H25s faster than the HR24s? (my HR54 blows the HR24s away in terms of response speed)
    B. I presume I would still need the power inserter with the H25 since these don't have the inserter built-in (like the HR54 does)?