Various Issues with HR44/500 on 0xbf4

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rrbhokies, Oct 27, 2016.

1. rrbhokies

rrbhokies Legend

May 10, 2004
    I have an HR44/500 running 0xbf4 dated Wednesday 9/7. I can't recall if these issues started happening immediately after the last update, but there have been increasing number of issues and multiple red button resets haven't helped.

1. When paused, I am getting an audio pop through my soundbar. I've seen several posts about similar issues, but not necessarily on this receiver and software version. Started happening about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I use digital Audio output from my TV to the sound bar.

2. Receiver has been getting really slow at responding to input from the remote. I'm at 61% on disk space.

3. Resolution issue #1. I'm running at 720p and/or 1080i and yet the guide resolution is blurry. Not crisp at all. Tried changing out HDMI cables and nothing changed.

4. Resolution issue #2. On many shows, it's like faster moving scenes are ghosting or getting pixelated around the image. Hard to explain, but if I watch the same show from a different DVR in the house (HR24 for example) the issue doesn't exist, and I've replaced the HDMI cables, so It seems it has to be related to the HR44 itself.

5. Sometimes during playback, the receiver will lock up while trying to fast forward or skip, and becomes unresponsive. I have no option but to red button reset the dvr.

What I'm wondering is if these issues may be related to the latest software build or if I need to call and have the dvr replaced?

Has anyone been experiencing these types of issues with their HR44?

2. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    The only issue I had with the 44 was once or twice a week I had to reset with the red button when it would lock up in the guide. The lock ups started with bf4, or at least it was one heckuva coincidence. I ended up getting a truck rolled for it who happened to have a 54 on his truck. It's only been a week but the 54 has been running fine. Of course it's on the next software update as well c45.

It looks like the c45 software is going out to all genies. Maybe the new software will fix the issue?

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    First perform a System Test. If that reveals nothing perform a BiST (Bulit-in Self Test). Reset your HR44. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu. Follow the prompts.