1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Various Problems with saving PTAT recordings

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Stutz342, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Stutz342

Stutz342 AllStar

Sep 29, 2004
    I have had every Hopper there is, not to mention most earlier Dish DVRs, and for the most part I find the Hopper 3 to be the best one yet. - Except . . .

The way PTAT entries behave in a few situations seems to be different, and I think buggy, compared to Hopper, and I think even HWS under the new UI. (That part seems particularly odd.)

1. (Missing/changed capability, not really a bug) If you save a PTAT recording, either manually or by timer, the resulting entry in the menu can't be moved into a different folder until the PTAT time is over and it gets converted to a regular recording. (8 days later I think, by default, or less if you change it in settings.) Manually-saved recordings land in no folder, and can't be put in one. Timer-saved recordings can go into a folder based on the timer, but then can't be moved to a different one.

2. (Changed behavior, probably a bug) If you delete a show from the PTAT folder after it had been saved to another folder (or no folder) then that saved entry in whatever other folder (or no folder) it's in, seems to sometimes go away also, although never right away.

3. (Bug) Sometimes PTAT shows that had been saved, then watched, then deleted, seem to reappear days later. This is probably happening when they're at the end of their PTAT life, and they convert to regular recordings. This should, of course, happen to a saved show, but not if it subsequently gets deleted before conversion day.

Put the above three problem behaviors together and my roommate and I are having a really hard time managing shows. There are many PTAT shows we both watch, but we each watch TV alone a lot as well. On the HWS, I had the timers put shows into my folder or his folder if it something only one of us watches, and into a "Both" folder if it's something we both watch. I would also save PTAT shows manually for myself from time to time. If he watches a "Both" show when I'm not home, he would just move it into my folder when he was done. Any show in one of our individual folders we could just delete when we're done. The above issues totally mess up this routine. We've missed some episodes of new or returning shows due to this.

Has anybody noticed any of this? I know I'm combining features in a way not many people probably do, but it worked fine on HWS.

2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    PTAT is really obsolete on a Hopper3 with all its tuners, including the 4 in 1 24/7 network tuner that no longer requires PTAT to be on. It's only useful for Autoskip, for that it only needs to be on one night with 2 day save. You can see coming new network shows with basically one page of the guide each night.

3. rbonzer

rbonzer Legend

May 13, 2002
    Yes, if you don't care about Autoskip, it isn't necessary. And if you don't care that you could go back and watch a show you forgot to record, it isn't necessary. And if, sometimes, a show gets pushed back in time due to a sporting event, that you could watch that show that got shifted by viewing the one after that you didn't care about, then it isn't necessary.

Is it too hard to create a feature that works? Don't Dish employees watch Dish? This isn't a new problem.

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    To each his own. CBS Sunday during football season has been my only problem, easily fixed by adding an hour to the CBS evening series.