1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon Deal vs D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by seern, Oct 21, 2009.

1. seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    I just read in my local paper that Verizon is now coming out with a deal that lets you bundle FiOS TV, internet and phone plus your cell for significant savings. This may be the straw that pulls me away from D* and their reluctance to move ahead with new HD channels. I just have to evaluate Verizon's HD DVR to see if the downsides are outweighed by the money savings.

2. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I was thinking the same thing,but if i were to switch i would have to get me a tivo,a couple years ago i tried fios and the picture was amazing,but their dvr sucked big time, I have heard that they have improved their boxes with software updates,but i dont know if this is true. verizon has so many more movie channels than directv also,plus will be adding a new movie service called epix .I'm staying with directv for now because i cant wait to see what the new directivo will do and cost, but its getting hard to pay $320.00 a month for cell phone,landline phone,internet and directv,If verizon can give me all 4 for a big savings i may have to switch and that would be hard for me as i really love directv(14 year customer),except i dont like the directv hd -dvrs to buggy.

3. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    if u go Fios, you won't be happy with their HD DVR:nono2:, u will have to get a Tivo HD DVR. They're supposed to have a new one(NOT a TIVO) coming out by 1st Q - 2010, made by Cisco of all people.............Currently they offer a 160g HD in their Moto units and all encoding is done @ the MPEG 2 level, so you can't store sh*t with that! and they don't even have 'NATIVE' pass through enabled or the ability to add an eSATA external HD!

4. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    This is the first time i've heard about a new tivo been made by cisco,do you have any more info or a link?thanks! p.s. verizon also has a $150.00 back offer going right now making the offer to switch pretty tempting.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    That's good news--NOW for bad news it's still Verzion (IF you) think D*s Customer service is lacking, just wait for the verzion joy to kick in.

I would stay ALA cart for now, meaning Fios-just for Highspeed internet until all the promised DVR hardware is really upgraded and just not promised, it is just vapor ware for now.

Good luck on your choice. Having everything in one place reminds me of the company store- they let you in on the cheap and the price always creeps upward faster than expectedand your locked in with all your services tied to one vendor.

6. RCY

RCY Godfather

Nov 16, 2005
    The Moxi is also available as a DVR for FIOS as an option.

If you do a search in this forum, there is a LONG thread discussing some of the plusses and minuses of FIOS.

7. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    Even with the hard drive limitations I am much happier with the FiOS HD DVR than the craptacular HR2*. And hopefully Verizon's new HD DVR will solve this shortcoming early next year.

But if you want the best HD DVR go with Dish Network. :D

8. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    A FiOS HD DVR, not a Tivo.

9. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    It's not Tivo made by Cisco, fyi. It's a Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) DVR that is supposedly coming out in Q1 of 2010. No info on specs has been released yet that I have seen on dslreports.com, just word that a new DVR is to be released by Verizon, since as stated by many, the current one stinks.

10. byrdpack

byrdpack AllStar

Jan 17, 2007
    Long time Directv customer (12 years) thinking about switching to U-Verse since they have just come to my area and have some great deals. Does anyone have any opinions on their DVR? They have all the missing Directv HD channels I really want.

11. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Rememeber, if you are lucky with Uverse you will be able to get a MAX of 2 HD streams and 2 SD streams, so if your wife is watching one show in HD and recording another in HD you are stuck with SD only, have seen numerous people around here get 1 HD and 1 SD stream because of the distance.

They also use a Whole House DVR that has a really poor amount of Disk space. Uverse is fine if you are only running 1 TV, or maybe 2 at most. We normally have at least 4 HD tuners going at once on 3 different sets.

12. byrdpack

byrdpack AllStar

Jan 17, 2007
    Oh, that's very good to know. They acted like I could record/watch 4 HD programs at once. I utilize 3 HD DVRs now with Directv.

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Minus the Recording Space the Fios DVR destroys the Direct TV HD Dvr in all aspects

14. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I agree with you but byrdpack was talking about U-Verse, not FiOS.

15. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    but they still make you pay $15-$20/m per HD DVR.

16. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    While monthly HD DVR fees are less for D* than V*, there are also usually upfront hardware costs with D*. With V* there are none. It's a different pricing model is all.

We only have 1 TV so it's not a big deal for us.

17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    uh, it is $12/HDDVR

18. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006

19. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    No, that's not correct. The current hardware pricing for FiOS:

SD STB = $6
    HD STB = $10 (outside NY/NNJ - in those markets it's $6)
    HD DVR (standalone) = $16
    Multi-room DVR = $20

Again, though it's a different pricing model. You don't pay anything up front for the hardware... getting new hardware doesn't lock you into any new contract... if you think you're getting your DirecTV hardware for next to nothing... that's just not true. You pay something up front and you get locked into a contract to help cover the cost of it.

Which is better? It really depends on your setup. For me, FiOS is better in terms of pricing, even with the higher monthly hardware costs.

Going back to the OP, yes, Verizon has created a number of Quad play bundles. Or other triple plays (using cell vs. landline, e.g.).

Unfortunately to see all the bundle options, you need to be in a Verizon area - go to their website, under Bundles, and hit FiOS Bundles. You get a list of general bundles (triple plays), but on the right there's a button to see all bundles. Hit that and it prompts you for your phone number/address.

In terms of the cell phone bundling currently it includes (in my market):

- Freedom essentials phone package
    - 25/15 internet
    - Extreme HD TV service
    - Nationwide Basic 450 cell service

Total price (not including taxes, and extras - e.g. hardware): $145/month.

I'm interested in doing the quad play too - just renewed my triple play before they added cell service. But generally these packages are pretty strict in terms of the service you have to get to get the discount - e.g., if I wanted to upgrade to a higher internet speed, I couldn't get this quad play package. I currently have a family cell plan with Vz wireless. I don't know if I can opt to have that in my bundle instead of the Nationwide Basic 450 service. I was going to ping them to find out.

One thing that's nice - I can upgrade my contract at any time. That is, even though I JUST started my latest triple play contract, I can turn around and change that over for a new quad play at any point.

One last thing - on their customer service. Yes, they have a reputation on the billing side to suck. I've dealt with one clueless rep. All the others I've dealt with, though, have really been top notch. And their tech support, sorry, blows away DirecTV's. Their field techs/installers, e.g, who I've dealt with have all impressed me.

Edit - Oh, one last, last thing. Verizon's starting to roll out FiOS Digital Voice - a new VoIP service. Not sure if they'll allow bundles with that service, vs. their standard POTS service, but I'll be checking into that when it becomes available around here.