1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon Joins the Dumb Move Crowd

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Dec 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    First Bank Of America, then Netflix and GoDaddy, now:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/29/technology/verizon_convenience_fee/?hpt=hp_t2

Recurring payments don't get robbed.

Shouldn't you get a discount for paying electronically? Walk-in payments at stores and mail-in payments have additional labor, don't they?

2. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    That move does sound counter productive. I could only guess their trying to make customers sign up for automatc payment.

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I paid my VZW bill all the time with my Discover card, earning me at least $11 a year in Discover Cash Back. Now I'll be stopping that. you can still avoid the $2 fee by making ACH (electronic) payments, such as from your bank to Verizon, and paying by paper check, so I'll be paying VZW electronically from my bank.

I have a feeling that Verizon is just trying to save some money, as most credit cards charge "merchants" a fee for cred card payments, and most merchants just absorb the cost. Near me, though, most gas stations have now raised the cost for payments with credit card, and now it looks like VZW is doing the same.

4. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
  5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Nope, they just point you to the self-pay kiosk.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    It was my understanding that you can setup Auto-Payment, and still pay via card... vs one-by-one... (which is what I have been doing). And avoid the Convience fee.

Still makes no sense.

The fully automated processing system (they charge and note my account in like 5 seconds after I hit send.... but you can go into the store and pay there for free... makes no sense.

7. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Yes, I had read this as well: if you sign up for auto-payment via credit card VZW will not charge the $2 fee.

I've always manually/interactively paid with my credit card at the VZW site, and I'm hesitant to sign up for auto payments, but for others it's definitely an option...

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Some MBA probably dreamed this up.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I don't have a problem with auto-payment via credit card. I get my 1% cash back and pay the card balance on the due date. Using the credit card gives me the option to dispute the charge through the credit card company though I don't anticipate needing that option with Verizon. Of course one must monitor the Verizon bill and the card account.

10. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Breaking news all over: Verizon says: never mind.

That sure was quick. :lol:

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^ They may have been influenced by this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011...?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=22&sp=true

12. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Cripes, the New Coke lasted longer than that.

13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Over 60,000 names added to online petition in less than a day, and the FCC investigating, and many online news sites questioning Verizon's stance (along with 3 days in December where LTE failed) ... Verizon did the only right thing by backing down and saying "we listen carefully to feedback from our customers".

Yeah for us...

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I understand companies that charge to take a payment if you take up their man hours with an employee as long as there are other options. I don't understand why companies think that people would put up with it in other situations.

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
  16. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    Wonder if the powers of Twitter and Facebook had any additional influence. Back in the day, Coke only had to deal with declining sales and snail mail.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    New Coke survived. Classic Coke was supposed to be the old Coke restored to the marketplace but it never quite tasted the same.

It is good to see the $2 fee so quickly dropped. Verizon has some weird ways of doing things internally that may lead to higher costs associated with one time payments. Their problems shouldn't be passed on to their customers ... especially as a "$2 fee to pay your bill" type of charge.

18. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    For some reason I'm always surprised that the bean counters are surprised at the customer backlash of such decisions...

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That was a planned failure so we wouldn't notice the switch to HFCS. At least that's what I think. And to think supposedly this week I was within feet of the secret formula.

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    That's illegal.

They can offer a discount for cash, but they can't charge more for using a CC. In other words, for a gas station, the price that's listed on their signage must be the CC price and then they can have additional signage (like at the pump) promoting a discount for using cash.