1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VERY bad experience with scheduling upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jporter12, Jul 9, 2013.

1. jporter12

jporter12 New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Wow. What a fiasco this has been!

I was scheduled to have a Genie system with one mini installed Sat. July 6. Someone from the local installation office (contractor?) called me saying they had a problem with one of their techs, and they needed to re-schedule me. I tried to get them to keep their appointment, but they just weren't having it. They told me they could do it tonight, Tues., July 9 and they could make it at 6:00 PM, since I have to work until 5:30. Well, somehow the appointment was set for between 12:00 and 4:00 this afternoon. The installer shows up around 2:00 and bothers my kids, and in the meantime I had been called by the automated system and was told that a tech would be at my location in the next 15 minutes. This is in the 2:00 hour! I'm at work, and there's nobody home to take care of it, the kids aren't old enough to handle it.

So, I've been on the phone all afternoon, losing time on the work I had to do (costing me money earned) trying to get this sorted out. I am being told that the local installers have tried calling me 5 times, but yet I have no missed calls on my phone, and no messages other than the one when the tech showed up here saying that an adult had to be present. I put a couple more calls in to the appointment department, and finally the last one I talked to informs me that the next opening they have is for July 17! Are you kidding me?

Here's the kicker, I ask to be transferred to retentions, and they can't do anything, not even a disconnect because their system is down! Wow!

Does anybody have any advice as to what I can do from here?

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    From my reply over at DirecTV forums

About the only thing you can do, is check you online account to see if there are any cancellations. DirecTV cannot forced and earlier appointment

3. jporter12

jporter12 New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Yes, I posted it in multiple places, peds48! I didn't know if it would get seen in my original thread on here, and I figured I would get a different audience over on the D* forums! I'll stop with the cross posting now. I'm just extremely frustrated in how this is working out, when I have a couple old DirecTiVos on their last legs, that may or may not work when you want them to, and one won't record at all.

4. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    As an active DirecTV customer, you can always contact the retention department at 800-531-5000..

1. at the voice prompt, type in your 8 digit ACTIVE account number from your DirecTV bill--no leading 0s
    **do not enter any newly issued account number, if there was one..
    **telephone number may work, but could be routed incorrectly if tied to more than one account number..
    2. at next voice prompt say "DISCONNECT"..
    3. at next voice prompt, it will ask if you're moving, say "NO"..voila, retention department..you may have to hold on briefly.

It's unfortunate the local HSP misled you in this matter. Could very well be a sub-contractor, as you thought. Did you place the upgrade order via your online account or via 800-531-5000? Asking only to ensure you reached a corporate-authorized office to handle it properly.

Just FYI, all appointments are either 8am-12pm or 12pm-4pm (during the summer months, some areas of the country also have 4pm-8pm appointments). There is no such thing as an appointment for 6pm. That's why the tech showed up when he did. Apparently, the tech was left out of the loop as well. Once again, 800-531-5000 to schedule an appointment. If July 17 is the first available, then you're either in a high-demand area or in a very remote location, where only 1 or 2 techs cover 100s of square miles. Patience is key here, especially since you might be able to wrangle some goodies, promos or other such retention offer in the process.

One suggestion is to ask if the agent can do a RTE (real time escalation) on your behalf--instead of using that terminology, ask if they can escalate it to the "local office"..might have to ask for Supervisor support on this one..cannot guaranty it will work, just that they MIGHT be able to help. If they can do it, you'll be on hold for a bit..do it in the morning or afternoon, since local offices (aka HSP, or Home Service Provider) often close at 5pm sharp (or sooner!).

If they escalate, you should receive 1 of 2 options:
    1. The local dispatcher (for the entire install area/region) will call you in 5-10 minutes, or
    2. The local dispatcher will call IF an earlier appointment opens up--that means calling back will not make a difference.

Sorry to be so blunt, but better you know this up front.

As for missed calls, best to add some alternate telephone numbers to your account, just in case. Could be that it was originally typed in wrong, so the person contacting you dialed the number they were given.

As a final consolation, you can always contact the Office of the President directly (via Ellen Filipiak, Senior VP of Customer Care)..see the link below..advise them of your predicament--and be NICE, please..

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIFnorail.jsp?assetId=P4960016

Good luck!

-=K=-