1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very frustrated with this week, time to cry

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    *snap* :nono2:

OK folks, with the latest event in Boston, combined with what happened in Waco, TX, I am officially frustrated with this week. I am going to cry now. :bang

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Without the bad times it is hard to know what good times are.

Chin up! Keep calm and carry on.

3. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    There is, however, a limit to how much bad tragedy one can take.

4. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    1 person likes this.
  5. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    +1, dmspen

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Perhaps, these will be the "good old days" we'll remember and tell our grandchildren about.

Or not.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Even in tragedies like this, there are things that can give you hope for mankind. People at the marathon ran to help, in whatever way they could. Helping the injured, staying with them, comforting them. Complete strangers helping others in a situation that you might expect most to panic and run.

Of course come Christmas, the same people will be fighting each other for a parking spot at the mall, but I'll take what we can get.

8. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Life is hard. Stop whining about other people's misfortunes and, instead, work to improve their lives or the lives of those within your immediate reach. It's simply amazing how those kinds of acts will improve your own life.

9. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I wasn't whining about other peoples misfortunes. I was simply depressed because the tragedies of this week, and simply throwing my hands up and saying, "What else?" Well, since that posting, we learned what else.

If you remember what happened twelve years ago on September 11th, and all that was going on afterwards, at some point, you just had to throw up your hands, say "Enough!" and turn off the news. So, yes, I involve myself in volunteer organizations that involve helping people in areas of self-improvement. My enthusiasm has caused other people to take on leadership roles. I have organized gift drives at work for a local children's home. So, yes, I am doing what you suggest.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not a bad idea ... since we don't seem to have a news channel that is all sunshine and roses.

It was after your post, but yesterday was particularly bad with it seeming that we were moments away from resolution from shortly after the MIT shooting until the arrest nearly 22 hours later. It kept people on edge ... just a few more minutes and the story will be over. But it wasn't a short story.

After the arrest last night I went to bed and slept for eight hours. Now back to "normal".

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    At times events do seem difficult to accept. But bad news has always been a part of life. Regarding TV news I can remember some really bad days in November 1963. And others in 1968. Folks just had radio in December 1941. And then there was 9/11.

There are worse places in the world to be viewing local daily news reports.

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Until the next one, whatever it is, where ever it is, tomoorrow -- next week -- next month .....

But remember, there's always something, even if it's something like this:

Sheriff: 5 snowboarders killed in Colo. avalanche
    Seattle Post Intelligencer - ‎7 minutes ago‎
    GEORGETOWN, Colo. (AP) - Authorities have recovered the bodies of five snowboarders who were killed in a backcountry avalanche on Colorado's Loveland Pass.

Or the coming major flooding in the upper midwest that is expected to be among the worst in recent history.

Or the wildfires that have burned hundreds out of homes and jobs, yet nobody comments on the thread here. Last year, quite a few wildland firefighters died on the job. Did anybody even notice?

If you're going to cry over the news, you'll be balling your eyes out all day, every day.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQYS8gRL7zw

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Over the past year or so there have been several bus accidents that have claimed multiple lives; more than there two recent incidents. Didn't see threads on those with people saying how they were overwhelmed.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It helps that they were accidents and not intentional acts. (Negligence not intent to kill.)