1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very high 101 & 103, but no 99

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ronnie2hotty, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ronnie2hotty

ronnie2hotty New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    First off, if something like this has already been posted, I apologize that I am a newbie to this site.

I was looking for some help with my new Slimline3 dish. I set it up myself, and was able to locate the 101 and 103 satellites without much trouble. I am getting very high numbers on those, around 92 through 96. But I am having trouble locating the 99 satellite. I can't seem to get it, which means I am missing about 1/3 of my HD channels.

Can anyone help me out with some instructions on that 99? (Such as, 99 is lower and to the left of the 103, or even 2 1/2 turns left on the left/right 1 turn right on the up/down). Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!!!!Thanks guys!!!

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Actually in ohio the 99 would be a bit higher then 101/103. You are sure that you have the correct tilt setting? Do ho have another LNB to test with ?

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It does not work that way. If you have your dish mount plumb, and the tilt is set correctly, then high readings on 103c will automatically give good readings on 99c, it is just the way the dish is designed.

4. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Can you get 99 if you let 103 slip?

5. ronnie2hotty

ronnie2hotty New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I've only been able to get any reading on the 99 for a very quick second. I was a very low number (20's) but when I tried to tweak it to get a higher reading, it dissapeared on me, never to return.

I've tried lowering my 103 to the 70's and look from there, but with no success.

6. ronnie2hotty

ronnie2hotty New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    No, I don't have another LNB to use. My tilt setting said (I believe, but don't quote me) 40°, but mine is off a little on that. I'll try that to see if anything changes. Thanks

7. chuckyvt

chuckyvt Mentor

Jan 30, 2008
    I had a similar problem earlier this year. I had taken my dish down to take it to a tailgate, when brought it home and reinstalled I could get the 99 & 101, or the 101 & 103 but never all 3 at the same time. After checking all other options I decided I had somehow bent the dish (even though visually nothing looked wrong). If you check everything else and still no luck, probably worth doing what I did and buy a new reflector and arm from solidsignal for 40 bucks.

8. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    From the sounds of it either you have a LOS issue or a defective LNB..
    oh one more question, Do the 101 stations come in ok? I mean do you get a picture? Some have missed by a sat (left or right) which would mean you would not be seeing the right sat..

9. 2dogz

2dogz Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    Here's a wild guess. Do you have the BBCs installed on receiver (little boxes w/ coax pigtail)? If so, take then off. Not needed with SWM. Will clobber Ka low freqs which 99 uses.

10. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Soo much wrong with that.

1) There is nothing to indicate the Op has SWM. A SL3 doesn't have to be SWM. I know I've got the Non SWM version of it.

2) Both 99 and 103 use the KA low for the national content. The KA Hi is only for spots from the spaceway sats. With a non-Swm setup the Ka-Lo is what the BBC shifts up to a range the receiver can tune. Once you move to SWM there are no fixed assignments. Just 8 channels that the SWM assigns to different receivers and then sends the requested transponder signal down that channel. So in a SWM setup the BBC wouldn't even be able to effect a specific sat. It could effect a specific SWM channel but that channel could be providing content from any sat.

3) The receiver detects the presence of SWM and BBC and tells you to remove the BBC. I'm pretty sure it won't let you finish the sat setup until you correct this.

It really sounds like the OPs dish is not mounted plumb and that is causing his alignment issues.

11. ronnie2hotty

ronnie2hotty New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I changed the tilt on my dish (from 90° to around 68°) and I am now able to get at least the low 70's on the 99, but it sacrificed my 103 down to around the mid 50's. I checked all of my channels, HD and SD and I seem to be getting all of them for now, so I am leaving it alone for the time being. Especially because it is cold and snowy in SE Ohio right now, lol.... But, thanks everyone for all the help!!!

12. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    per www.dishpointer.com that is much closer to what it probably should be in your area.

Elevation: 39.7°
    Azimuth (true): 206.7°
    Azimuth (magn.): 213.6°
    Dish Skew [?]: 70.0°

Sounds like you are getting it closer to getting it correctly aimed but I'd want to keep tweaking it. 50's on 103 isn't going to give you a lot of margin for rain fade.