Very unsatisfied new customer

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by renbutler, Mar 27, 2020.

1. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    After 20+ years with DirecTV, I couldn't take AT&T's increasingly anti-customer policies and "I don't give a dang" attitude toward their satellite service. I had been a satisfied customer for a very long time, but the last couple years were terrible.

So I switched to DISH, because it came highly recommended from many sources. However, the number of issues I've faced since signing up in January have been extremely disappointing:

1.) My initial Hopper didn't work correctly. I needed a second technician to come back the next day to install a new Hopper3.

2.) I was told in my initial sign-up that RSNs were included in my selected package. They were not included in ANY package, for many months now, with no end in sight. Not everybody follows the latest news about what's carried and what's not -- I was just looking at Dish's own literature, and the enrollment agent was also apparently not aware of what channels were currently carried. I got a discount because of this, but I still missed several basketball games I wanted, and I'll miss out on a lot of baseball when that season finally starts.

3.) The "best-in-class" DVR has some good features (16 tuners!). But there are so many usability issues and missing features that I didn't have to deal with on my DirecTV DVR. It's better in some ways, much worse in others. I'm still compiling a list of issues that I'm hoping to send to them and post on DBSTalk.

4.) After two months of service, my Hopper3 hard drive just died. I was told yesterday that a new one would be overnighted to me today. I called back today, and they told me nothing ever shipped, and that overnighting would cost $20. I told them to check the tape because I was promised an overnighted Hopper, and no charge was ever mentioned. Because of that, they agreed to overnight a new Hopper at no charge -- that will now arrive Monday or Tuesday (not exactly overnight). My wife is now pissed because she lost a bunch of recorded shows, and she was skeptical from the beginning about making the switch.

I know mistakes can be made, but this is a LOT of issues in a short amount of time. They do seem willing to fix their mistakes and issues (I like that), but if there's going to be a new problem on a monthly basis, I'd rather not have the service at all.

Just thought I'd share.

2. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    Yep. I just did the opposite of you. I just came back to Directv on Monday and am so glad I did. I lost my local Fox channel the day the NFL playoffs started, we were without FS1 for about 2 weeks during the MLB playoffs and don’t even get me started on the RSN’s. I hate to hear about your experiences with the Hopper. I think it’s a fabulous DVR. HOWEVER, I never thought I’d say this but after my stint with Dish and now coming back to my HR54, I don’t think I’d trade my HR. I do miss the extra tuners though...

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have been with Dish for 21 years. I am unique as I have one older vip211, with no fees (owned). I have had no complaints.

renegade and Dishdude714 like this.
  4. rjk1977

rjk1977 New Member

Mar 7, 2020
    RSNs are meaningless with out sports right now, the high cost of DirecTV is not worth it for me, I was a 16 year customer, switched to Dish little over a year ago and I've had no complaints. No company is perfect and things happen. I'm sure DirecTV has had issues the same as you had with Dish, I know I did with my Genie 2 I had from them, nothing but problems, multiple visits from techs, never resolved the issues so I sad goodbye, glad I did.

satcrazy, Dishdude714 and DJ Lon like this.
  5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    One plus with Dish they have several diginets, and Direct doesn't carry them.

Dishdude714 and DJ Lon like this.
  6. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Who cares about your "differences"? I've had Hoppers and a Hopper3, each since first appearing, and love the functionality and absolutely trouble free operation. Nobody is going to change how they operate because you don't like it. Failures happen with any electronics. Once you get your replacement, open your mind, figure out how all the controls and features work You'll forget that DTV stuff soon enough.

I can't believe that you never noticed before you switched how RSNs are dealt with over here. You've been on DBStalk since 2008.

Poorsha likes this.
  7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Often a list of grievances is used to justify a decision made for other reasons.
    DIRECTV receivers don't have the quad view. Or PTAT with any form of commercial skipping. Or 16 tuners for conflict free recording.
    DIRECTV receivers do have software glitches, they are discussed in the appropriate forums here at DBSTalk.

There do seem to be some customers who get a lemon receiver regardless of the service provider.

8. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Take a breath, this guy is just frustrated.

IMHO, Dish has always been superior. Price and CS excelled. Not so much now.
    I can't comment on the new hardware as I have little use for dvr's. Most people love the hopper.

#1 got fixed
    #2 If a particular subject is paramount, DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST. [ sports] SHAME that csr did NOT have THAT on a updated sheet in front of them. I just ran into the same thing last night. No information to help when I inquired about several channels. In the past the csr would go above and beyond to find out. They must be on the clock now.
    #3 LEARN it first. Then figure out the work-arounds.
    #4 A BIG screw up on Dish's part.
    in the past, dish would have been RIGHT ON IT with ABSOLUTELY no FEE, and they'd throw in a perk for the trouble. That WAS my past experiences. Like I said, NOT so much now. SHAME.
    As for lost recordings, sorry for her bad luck. It's a bummer, but it happens.
    Since at&T took over it appears direct is even LESS of a deal than it was. They're CS was terrible when I had it, that's why I switched. I've been getting "come back" offers for ten years now, but when I DO MY DUE DILIGENCE, They have too many "gotcha's".
    NO thanks.

9. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    If you don't, then don't respond.

Thanks to everybody else who has given useful and civil responses, even when they didn't have the same frustration I'm experiencing. :D

ibjimbo and schmave1 like this.
  10. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    Right, RSNs aren't a big deal at the moment. But they were back when I signed up, and they'll be a big deal in the not-too-distant future (probably late spring or early summer), despite the tendency toward believing worst-case scenarios that many seem to have.

DIRECTV definitely had many issues. Before they were with AT&T, their customer service was outstanding -- now, with AT&T, it's just about the worst service I've ever dealt with. The equipment was actually really good when it worked -- it just got too slow over time, which was frustrating.

11. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Looking at your post again I wanted to make sure you posted January when you signed up.

I believe RSN's were an issue Before that.

Moral here: clearly sports are your thing, so I would have asked this forum about your interests before you made the switch. MOST people here will give you a decent reply.

Actually, more accurate than CS. I can speak for that.

12. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Sorry to offend, but my response was directed at this. An awful lot of us are happy that the Hopper3 doesn't work like DTV's equipment.

DJ Lon likes this.
  13. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    like I said. Most people love their hopper.
    There is no "perfect" service out there, seems like there is always a trade off. He just has to figure out what's important to him.

cheers

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd like to add this to the conversation: Don't forget about the HDDs in the D* DVRs, they are old and getting older with each passing day. And nothing is being done about it. You get a 24 and you're gonna be using an HDD that could have been in service for a decade. So, yeah, there are software problems but the HDDs cause problems that most people attribute to the software. I did that for years and I was wrong.

Rich

satcrazy likes this.
  15. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    hey rich,
    how's your gas prices now?

By the way how is your service since AT&T took over?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gas has dropped to a bit over $2 a gallon. Didn't get near a station this morning. Might have dropped more.

How's the service been since ATT took over? Forum decorum keeps me from properly addressing this question. I keep reading posts where folks say it was wonderful before ATT took over. No it wasn't, it sucked. I thought it would get straightened out when ATT took over. Shows you how dopey I am. They made it worse! Way worse! If Dish had the YES channel I'd be there in a heartbeat. And I say that with no idea how bad or good customer service is with Dish. How could it be worse? Simply put, with D* it sucked. With ATT it really SUCKS!

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    While I am here (don't remember coming here before), I'd like to know how Dish handles their HDDs. Can you put a bigger drive in the Hoppers? Is there an eSATA function or a USB function that allows you to increase storage?

Rich

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Nutshell: Multiple external drives that do not disable the internal - external drives can be moved to another dvr on the same account, including replacement dvrs.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Beautiful. Why D* can't do that is beyond me. If Dish only had YES. How do the external drives make the connection, thru USB?

Rich

20. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    The last time I looked at this, I believe you had to manually move the recordings from the internal to the USB external drive. However, you do not have to move them back to an internal drive to play them.