Viacom Dropped from Playstation Vue, Can DISH be next?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nmetro, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
  2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
  3. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    They are adding BBC America and NBATV to the Vue.

4. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Oh, you mean the channels,with BBC World, we, who pay the big bucks for AT250 and AEP don;t get?

Also, Viacom is having real financial difficulties and is looking for a suitor. They have been talking with CBS, a couple months ago.

5. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    True, but they dumped 20+ channels. I was thinking about the possibilities, but now DISH is a better bargain than Vue. SONY may have set in motion killing a platform before it had a chance take root.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The point is that DISH has already had their turn with Viacom. Until the deal cut earlier this year expires DISH will not be "next".

7. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    You can still get Redzone without going with required Dish 120+ at almost double the cost. Plus most other sports channels except CBS sports anything.
    Viacom channels I really never watched except occasional Spike with cops. Still good value for me anyway, I think deal killer for some may be lack of networks for live events. CBS is missing also but available as standalone subscription directly around $6 a month.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I believe cue dumped them so they could add a bunch other channels and keep the prices the same that would likely bring in more customers than Viacom would. I think it's a good move if they really are being in other higher rated channels.

9. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Viacom is the biggest waste of bandwidth and our bills. There is nothing - repeat nothing - credible on any of these channels.

I would welcome a Deep Six and our bills not go up. Junk, junk, junk.

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    So they only had a 1 year deal to carry the channels?

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Wouldn't surprise me if that's all anybody is signing right now but one year deals to see how things go. Allows them to adjust prices and offerings quickly as things change.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I think with the advent of streaming, the handwriting is on the wall for many services in the future. There will always be viewers for Dish, Direct, and Cable. But with a device like the Chromecast and Roku, anything might show up. Even The Comet now streams for free on Roku.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not referring to The Comet ... but there are services that are free and worth every penny of the cost.

14. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    But at least they don't make it so public, they just remove the junk channels and move on. No endless crawls bashing each other, just adios. We'll add other stuff.

I hope Viacom & it's ilk one day realize they have over played their hand. If the providers would simply say no & drop them, they would see their ad revenue drop & realize they can't have their cake & eat it too. It's not like anyone would even really miss these channels. Most of it is blocks of commercials interrupted briefly by fake reality programming & same old movies. And the decent Comedy Central stuff is on Hulu.

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's interesting that the article in the LA Times says "Instead, Sony appears to be freeing up financial resources to add major broadcast networks CBS and Fox."

Either Viacom is going to revert back to being a part of CBS Corporation (which has Showtime) or its going to slip away. I watch "The Daily Show" and look at the live audiences - there are a lot of over 50 folks in the live audience for a show that's supposed to be targeting Millennials. It's obvious some serious restructuring is in order. Let's face it, the content of most of these could all be streaming-only without losing significant audience numbers and many could be combined assuming DVR capabilities:
    • BET
    • BET Jams
    • BET Soul
    • Centric
    • Channel 5
    • CMT
    • CMT Music
    • Comedy Central
    • Logo TV
    • MTV
    • MTV2
    • MTVU
    • MTV Classic
    • NickMusic
    • MTV Live
    • Nick at Nite
    • Nick Jr.
    • Nickelodeon
    • Nicktoons
    • Spike
    • TeenNick
    • Telefe
    • MTV Tres
    • TV Land
    • VH1
    • 5Star
    • 5USA
    I'm not sure Les Moonves over at CBS wants to take the blame for the restructuring as there are what are essentially "cult" audiences. I enjoy getting Trevor Noah's take on the news as he is a person born and raised in South Africa, but his Nov. 7-11, 2016 average ratings were
    • Adults 18-49 - 0.39
    • Total Viewers - 0.88
    IMHO a commercial-free Comedy Central and a few other channels should be part of a very carefully designed, very modestly priced add-on to the commercial-free CBS All-Access. It could then provide things like the entire "Daily Show" guest interview without me having to remember to go on line the next day.

16. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I was pleasantly surprised how well chromecast works. Guess I'm late to the party as usual its been around awhile. It took purchasing an Android TV (Sony ) to discover what it was.

17. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Those are their 24/7 music video channels, because of rights and licensing issues it would be really complicated and expensive to offer non-linear. They had to remove the bulk of their online music video library from US viewing after VEVO launched with exclusive online rights to everything except Warner, and there's many things because of complicated label/artist issues they can't put online or on VOD. (i.e. Prince, MTV couldn't even put performances from their own VMA's and Movie Awards online)

BTW, before anyone says just use VEVO/YouTube, I take it they never sat down and watched a block on the music video channels. MTV Classic has somebody behind the scenes curating the blocks, they'll randomly thrown in songs you loved back in the day, but you would never think of looking it up on VEVO because you completely forgot about it until you saw it again since it wasn't the artist's most famous single, while the morning Classic videos block is usually programmed with 3 similar videos or artists back to back. (i.e. Fleetwood Mac back to back with some of Stevie's solo stuff, Tom Petty, George Harrison, ELO and/or Travelling Wilbury's back to back, 3 country songs back to back, etc) Other channels like mtvU and BET Jams mix in new artists with popular artists. MTV Live frequently has videos from the bands that played in the previous festival or concert as filler between shows.

The Channel 5 channels are UK only channels, while Telefe is an Argentina channel with an international feed with different programming that's only part of spanish tiers. (Viacom only announced their plan to purchase it last week, it hasn't been finalized or approved yet)
    That's not really a good week to get an average, on the 8th he was head to head with every network for election news, along with other non-news networks doing their thing like Colbert on Showtime. For anyone who saw the online marathon last year of all of Jon's episodes, you really got to experience how long it took for Jon to get his momentum and make the show his own instead of it just being Jon hosting Craig's Daily Show.

18. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    The Viacom channels aren't worth the money. TV Land is unwatchable with too many commercials. It used to be a decent channel several years ago as did Nick at Nite with their true classic programming. The music channels are full of reality crap and haven't been true music channels in years. The all video channels aren't bad, but are not available in HD. Kids like Nickelodeon, but they place high price on it as it is the star channel of their lineup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.