1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viacom-led Premium Network will be "Epix"

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Jtaylor1, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
  2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah. Nothing like starting a premium network during what is likely to be near the bottom of the lengthy "recession". I have plans to drop Starz and maybe Platinum in February just to tighten up a bit. But I wish them well.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I though this rang a bell and I did a little checking. This first came up back in September of this year. Back then they were refering to this network as the "JV" network with Viacom, MGM, Lionsgate and its own Paramount Pictures and the deal was in serious trouble because their intended target was Comcast who balked at the high cost of the channel. With revenues already in decline back in September for the existing premium movie channels, there wasn't a strong impetus for Comcast to procede.

They were talking about a $12 per month subscription fee with half going to Comcast or another idea was to charge $2 for every subscriber and give it to all of them in the regular programming tier.

No matter how this gets done, if in fact it does get done, this fragmentation of the movies between the various premum channels is, at least for me, an added incentive to drop them all and go strictly with DVD. They are forcing you to take every premium channel to have access to all the movies.

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    You're right on.

Let's see all the premiums $50/month or NetFlix with streaming $9/month...and the cheaper one gets the movies first. At least a few of the premiums have On-Demand setups...but the value has shifted elsewhere and the execs don't seem to get it...they must be refugees from the music industry.

5. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Aren't HBO, Showtime & Starz enough?

6. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    yes netflix is a good deal, but you can't always come home and have dozens of movies to watch, the most you can have is 3 at a time, there is no way it have a movie show up at your door everyday, and the streaming part is only good if you have faster internet which is more $$ and lets not even talk streaming hd.

7. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    not true, you can have 8 at a time but its $50/month. netflix recommends at least a 5mb for streaming HD.

8. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I have Netflix and like it, but it is no substitute for the premium channels if you like a wide variety (and lots) of movies.

I can't see launching another premium movie channel in this economy, however, although as channels go they probably have pretty low startup costs since there will be little, or no, original programming.

9. Jan 7, 2009 #9 of 10
    krisalyx

krisalyx New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    so EpiX will be a free channel anyway or are we going to have to pay more for it, but what the heck is platnum is it some sort of adult service.

10. GaryPotter

GaryPotter AllStar

Apr 12, 2008
    :nono2:

It means that you pay extra for the channel.