ViacomCBS and DISH Announce Carriage Agreement

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Jul 7, 2020 #1 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    July 6, 2020

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul. 6, 2020-- ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIACA, VIAC) and DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) today announced a multi-year renewal of their carriage agreement to continue delivering ViacomCBS’s portfolio of broadcast, entertainment, news and sports networks to DISH and SLING TV customers.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

2. Jul 8, 2020 #2 of 11
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i can see a rate increase

Dishdude714 and NashGuy like this.
  3. Jul 9, 2020 #3 of 11
    sparky27

sparky27 Member

Jun 25, 2019
    It would be cool if some package flexibility was included n the agreement such as including more Viacom channels in Flex pack or as add on option.

I am glad they came to a quick agreement because the kids love NickJr and I do appreciate the Office Channel...err Comedy Central for Office reruns lol.

4. Jul 9, 2020 #4 of 11
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I am just glad we don't have to think about this for a few more years.

krel and Dishdude714 like this.
  5. Jul 9, 2020 #5 of 11
    NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    As far as a rate increase goes, keep in mind that pretty much all the retrans agreements include annual fee increases. There would likely be a subscriber rate increase even if there were no renewals in a given year...

krel likes this.
  6. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    it would be interesting to see the savings between dish and direct. to be fair compare the top 250 from dish with direct's ultimate package. i don't think there's that much savings between em. along with the free service calls from direct as well if you have the protection plan free shipping on boxes and free remotes. i think direct comes out to be a better value???

7. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i wish we could pick out the channels that we watch. but you know what would happen there... the content provider would stick it to us since were not buying all there channels!!!

Dishdude714 likes this.
  8. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    As one who has never had a Dish service call, any need to ship anything back to Dish, and the only remote I've received from Dish was a free voice remote, I'll stick with Dish... ;)

krel likes this.
  9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Contact free for 17 years. :D

NYDutch and krel like this.
  10. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Without breaking out Excel I can tell you that Dish is cheaper especially AT200 vs Xtra or AT250 vs Ultimate. DirecTV is cheaper if you compare Select to AT120 because Select includes all the top rated cable channels. To get every channel in Select you would need AT200 on Dish.

DirecTV's Ultimate vs Dish's AT250 is really the only apples to apples comparison between the two.

zippyfrog, NYDutch and krel like this.
  11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    For me still with Dish over 21 years, Direct has just not offered the channels I want. Their price was always higher, maybe because of the sports they carry, which I have no interest in, not a sports fan.
    Dish has many OTA diginets that Direct does not have, like METV, Get TV, Buzzr, Grit, Laff, etc. I am grandfathered in on the Super Stations, which no one seems to carry any longer, except Dish. the $10 movie pack is a real bargain, and having one Starz channel, gives me access to everything on Starz on Demand at no extra change. The Epix line up is also great as they carry a lot of off the wall movies not available elsewhere. Having the one vip211k receiver with OTA tuner & outboard HDD, I only pay for programming. I get a long term discount as I agree to stay with Dish. Dish rocks for me. I have AT250+Movies+Supers. Not a bad deal at all.

Dishdude714 and krel like this.